Pentair Easy Touch

If I replace tab feeder with swg wouldn't need a check valve between that and the heater? What is a Florida sized filter? My pool is not very big 10000 gal is it worth it to oversize the ic60? Whats the downside/benefit to grossly oversizing the salt unit.

The ScreenLogic mobile app runs fine on the latest iOS, the 32-bit issue only applies to the desktop computer version. For a while there, the iPhone version couldn't do everything the desktop version could, and the iPad version couldn't even do everything the iPhone version could. I'm not sure if they've fixed all that or not. I'm running all the latest versions, but haven't studied all that closely. I use the desktop version for configuring my ET, and the mobile versions only to check on pool temp and maybe to adjust a few simple things (like my SWG setting or to turn on/off the filter or vac or solar heater). That much I know works fine.

That is true, unless you also install a virtualization software program that can emulate a previous OS. "Out of the box," ScreenLogic is a 32-bit app, and Catalina no longer runs 32-bit apps.

Doesn’t ScreenLogic have an Android app as well? Would always install BlueStacks on MacOS and emulate android as well.

What is this Android you speak of? ;)

I don't know that app, or how well it works or where you can run it (or even if it exists). Sorry, Apple-only here.

If I replace tab feeder with swg wouldn't need a check valve between that and the heater? What is a Florida sized filter? My pool is not very big 10000 gal is it worth it to oversize the ic60? Whats the downside/benefit to grossly oversizing the salt unit.
You don't need that check valve if you remove the feeder. Chlorine doesn't build up around an SWG when the pump is off, so there's none to backflow into your heater. The only exception is if your heater manufacturer's warranty insists on one. So check on that first.

My pool is 12K and I have the IC40. Plenty big. But you can't go too big, so the IC60 is fine. Downside: costs more. Benefit: the more chlorine your SWG can produce, the less you have to run the main pump to get the chlorine you need in the pool, so less pump wear and tear, less electricity, etc. Also, SWGs produce X amount of chlorine over their lifespan, and then need to be replaced. Since the IC60 will produce more in its life than a 40, given the same size pool, the IC60 will last longer, which compensates for its higher price.

I don't know what "Florida sized" means. But we have lots of them running amok here, so they'll know! ;)

Oh, I should have said: if that check valve is serving some other purpose beyond protecting the heater from the feeder, then that's a different matter. Without pictures of your gear and your signature filled in, there's no way for us to say for sure (hint, hint!)... :D

J,

I was just poking fun at the filter size.. :poke: It will work just fine for a 10K pool... For some reason in Florida, they think smaller is better for filters, not sure why, but when you see equipment pad pics, you can almost always pick the OP's location as Florida, without looking at the actual location box...

A 40K SWCG is plenty for a 10K pool.. I would not upgrade to an IC60, but if you did it would not hurt anything..

Dirk has you covered as to why the tab feeder is not needed when using a SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: Dirk
Ha, I didn't know that was from a post of yours, but I almost wrote "I don't know what 'Florida sized' means. That sounds like something a Texan would say!" :LOL: But then thought better of it. So I never said that!!

What is this Android you speak of? ;)

I don't know that app, or how well it works or where you can run it (or even if it exists). Sorry, Apple-only here.
Same! Fully Apple ecosystem here. I use bluestacks for our cameras as they only iOS and google play apps. Can’t run iOS apps from my MacBook, sadly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
J,

Depending on your skill level, it should not be hard at all.. You will have to do some plumbing and electrical work.

The AC power going to your current single speed pump is turned on and off by the EasyTouch.. The IntelliFlo gets constant AC power. All you would need to do it move the wires on the load side of the Pump/Filter relay over to the Line side of the same relay.. Basically taking the relay out of the circuit and supplying the new IntelliFlo with constant AC power. You may or may not need to replumb the input and output water connections on the pump.

Since your EasyTouch did not come with an internal SWCG power supply, you will need both the External SWCG Power Center and the associated IC40 SWCG.. (Note that the cell should be at least 2 x the volume of your pool, so an IC40 works with pools that are 20K gallons or less)..

You would need to cut the plumbing to install the cell itself. The cell needs to go in the pipe with the current tab feeder.. I'd take the tab feeder out. You can install the cell anywhere in the pipe, between the heater output and the Automated Return valve will work just fine.. With a SWCG you will no longer need the check valve that is in that line now because of the tab feeder.

You would then need to wire the Power Center to the EasyTouch. The AC power for the Power Center is taken off the Load side of the Pump/Filter relay and connected to the AC input of the Power Center. You then would need to connect a small 4-wire cable between the EasyTouch's com port and the com port connection inside the Power Center.. The Salt Cell is then plugged into the bottom of the Power Center.

That's it.. This allows the Power Center to only get AC power when the IntelliFlo pump is being told to run. It will also allow you to adjust the cell's output level via the automation and for the cell to report to the EasyTouch the pool's salt level.

Thanks,

Jim R.
J,

I was just poking fun at the filter size.. :poke: It will work just fine for a 10K pool... For some reason in Florida, they think smaller is better for filters, not sure why, but when you see equipment pad pics, you can almost always pick the OP's location as Florida, without looking at the actual location box...

A 40K SWCG is plenty for a 10K pool.. I would not upgrade to an IC60, but if you did it would not hurt anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.
J,

Thanks,

Jim R.
I get the humor, thanks for the help.

There's a possible alternative to ScreenLogic2 that's a few hundred dollars more expensive but would upgrade you to the latest IntelliCenter system. It also includes a wireless antenna kit that'll allow you to use the iOS app or website for configuration. @MyAZPool I know you did an upgrade, do you think this is feasible option?

Last edited:
There's a possible alternative to ScreenLogic2 that's a few hundred dollars more expensive but would upgrade you to the latest IntelliCenter system. It also includes a wireless antenna kit that'll allow you to use the iOS app or website for configuration. @MyAZPool I know you did an upgrade, do you think this is feasible option?

Sure. When I upgraded my entire pool equipment pad in late summer of 2018, I actually installed the newer IntelliTouch Load Center, then installed the IntelliCenter System components “á la carte” just as soon as the IntelliCenter was released in the fall of that year, as there were no ET/IT upgrade kits available at the time.

Now that they are available, I would recommend the upgrade kits.

> more information <

EasyTouch / IntelliTouch Upgrade to IntelliCenter Information –

Although probably not necessary or cost-effective, but for those few that may entertain the idea of upgrading their present EasyTouch or IntelliTouch systems to the IntelliCenter, Pentair does offer various upgrade kits depending on the model of EasyTouch or IntelliTouch and on the users’ “body-of-water” configuration (Pool or Spa, Pool/Spa combo or Pool and Spa (dual filtration systems).

• EasyTouch / IntelliTouch Control System Upgrade to Intellicenter for legacy systems 2003-2012.
One body of water (Pool or Spa), i10P (P/N 522045)
Two bodies of water Pool/Spa Combination, i10PS (P/N 522046)
Two bodies of water with dual filtration system, i10D (P/N 523218)

• EasyTouch / IntelliTouch Control System Upgrade to IntelliCenter for systems 2012 or newer.
One body of water (Pool or Spa), i10P (P/N 522047)
Two bodies of water Pool/Spa Combination, i10PS (P/N 522048)
Two bodies of water with dual filtration system, i10D (P/N 523219)

These upgrade kits typically include the following hardware:
  • Outdoor Control Panel
  • Personality Kit
  • Low-Voltage Circuit Breakers, Low –Voltage Circuit Breaker Plug and label and bracket (older systems)
  • System Transformer
  • Wireless Antenna Kit
  • Necessary Screws, Door Wiring Label and Installation and Users’ Guides
IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit - Legacy Systems - Manual — English
IntelliCenter Upgrade Kit for Systems 2012 and Newer - Manual — English

r.

EDIT: And just in case the question comes up. Upgrade kits are only available in i10 configurations. Not the i5 or i8.

Reactions: guinness
Great information as always Ron. Ordinarily I would say that the upgrade isn't worth it and just get ScreenLogic2 but since OP has EasyTouch Lite w/o SL it could be worthwhile to avoid existing limitations of current system, get some additional relays to boot and firmware can be updated.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Great information as always Ron. Ordinarily I would say that the upgrade isn't worth it and just get ScreenLogic2 but since OP has EasyTouch Lite w/o SL it could be worthwhile to avoid existing limitations of system, get some additional relays to boot and firmware can be updated.
Personally, I would agree with that. And especially since he is currently sporting the Lite model... (y)
Thanks!

Im looking to update my system to from chlorine pucks to SWG. The current control system is an Easy Touch PL4/PSL4 which Im told is the light version. It will cost around $1000 (Pentair intellichlor with power supply) to convert to SWG. I found a package deal that has IC40 and would also allow me to upgrade to the non light version of the PS4. The package price is $1300. Is it worth the $300 to update my control from the light version? Thanks

Are you hitting any of the limitations of the LITE?

The EasyTouch Lite PL4/PSL4 only comes with 4 schedules/programs and only 1 or 2 feature circuits, no load center, etc. The PL4/PSL4 does not have a Load Center for circuit breakers and is a cheap intimation of the real thing.

With the EasyTouch Lite you can only have 4 schedules/programs/egg-timers and run-once items and that includes any egg-timer that is not set at the default of 12 hours. Unfortunately, ScreenLogic will allow you to enter a billion schedules, but the EasyTouch can't use them.

@Jimrahbe

Are you hitting any of the limitations of the LITE?

The EasyTouch Lite PL4/PSL4 only comes with 4 schedules/programs and only 1 or 2 feature circuits, no load center, etc. The PL4/PSL4 does not have a Load Center for circuit breakers and is a cheap intimation of the real thing.

With the EasyTouch Lite you can only have 4 schedules/programs/egg-timers and run-once items and that includes any egg-timer that is not set at the default of 12 hours. Unfortunately, ScreenLogic will allow you to enter a billion schedules, but the EasyTouch can't use them.

@Jimrahbe
So the lite version will not work with screen logic or none of the easy touch controllers will work with screen logic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.