Opening SLAM

Jun 7, 2015
Wamego/KS
Just opened pool and been slamming since Thursday. It started as a green swamp. It quickly turned from green to blue but had now just been stuck in the same cloudy water phase with not much noticeable improvement in a day and a half. In previous opening slams it seems I was backwashing much more frequently. This time it’s maybe once a day. Could it be time to change the filter sand or use some sort of filter enhancer? Or maybe I just need to be more patient and trust the process??!!

Hi Nate. :wave:
It quickly turned from green to blue but had now just been stuck in the same cloudy water phase with not much noticeable improvement in a day and a half.
Yeah, we're hearing that a lot this time of year. No need to change the sand or add any pool store snake oils. Chlorine (bleach) is all you need, and yes ... some patience. But some things you might consider:
- Double-check that CYA to ensure you're at the correct FC/SLAM level
- When was the last time the sand wash deep cleaned? That might be in order.
- Anything in the pool that is hollow? Lights, steps, ladder, etc? If so, remove them if you can.
- Continue all the SLAM details like brushing, vacuuming, etc.

In time you'll see it get back to clear. Hang in there.

I will check the CYA today. There was none when I opened so I added the amount from pool math to get me to 30. I will check to make sure I get that reading. I have been sweeping several times a day. How do you deep clean the filter sand?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.