Question regarding test color interpretations when opening the pool next year.

Mark McLeroy

Silver Supporter
Mar 31, 2022
New Rochelle, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi All:
I use the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Despite my best efforts, we tend to have algae in the pool at opening every year (we tend to close the pool a few weeks early). This has never been a real problem for us in the past. I usually just shock the pool with liquid chlorine (not SLAM, I'll explain in a minute :laughblue:), and in a few days the pool is TFP clear. In the past I have not SLAMed the pool at opening because I thought the green colored water would effect testing results. And to determine the proper FC level to SLAM I would need to know my CYA level, and that test would surely be effected by the green water.
Is this a legitimate concern, and if so, is there a way to accurately test the water under those conditions.
By the way, once the water is clear, I test, bring the water to proper SLAM level, and then do a OCLT. I do not consider the pool open until it passes. :)

Thanks,
Mark McLeroy

We clear a dozen swamps on the daily in the spring, and the green/black doesn't affect the testing. (y)

If you see green, go straight to SLAM because blind shocking can bleach your liner. especially with low CYA after it sat closed for 8 months.

Daily demand falls off a cliff soon for us and it doesn't take much to maintain after that. The same goes in the spring that FC lasts for a week or weeks. Stay open later and open earlier.

Reactions: proavia
We clear a dozen swamps on the daily in the spring, and the green/black doesn't affect the testing. (y)

If you see green, go straight to SLAM because blind shocking can bleach your liner. especially with low CYA after it sat closed for 8 months.

Daily demand falls off a cliff soon for us and it doesn't take much to maintain after that. The same goes in the spring that FC lasts for a week or weeks. Stay open later and open earlier.
WOW. Out of all the test I would have thought the CYA test would have definitely been affected. I would have thought that dark green water would have surely obscured that black dot earlier than if it was clear.

Out of all the test I would have thought the CYA test would have definitely been affected
It's ironically funny that due to questioning the accuracy of the tests, you blindly dump potentially harmful amounts of chemicals in, so that you don't question the testing accuracy afterwards.

I'm not pointing a finger, and believe me, I've done worse. But think that through. People (myself included) are weird sometimes. :)

Anywho, a few thousand (10s of thousands ?) folks needing to slam all got good #s with their swamps.

It's ironically funny that due to questioning the accuracy of the tests, you blindly dump potentially harmful amounts of chemicals in, so that you don't question the testing accuracy afterwards.

I'm not pointing a finger, and believe me, I've done worse. But think that through. People (myself included) are weird sometimes. :)

Anywho, a few thousand (10s of thousands ?) folks needing to slam all got good #s with their swamps.
Well I wouldn't say I am blindly putting chemicals in. The only chemical I put in at opening is liquid chlorine. It's a pretty sure bet that with a mesh cover and 5 months being closed, the FC level is just about zero. I know I have 11,500 gallons of water. Poolmath App tells me that 2 bottles of Bleach brings me to about 20 PPM. Water clears as FC drops.

Well I wouldn't say I am blindly putting chemicals in. The only chemical I put in at opening is liquid chlorine
Without a CYA level, it's blindly adding FC, not knowing what's safe. I open with 20 or less CYA each year, many times it's been 0.

I'm not saying it didn't work. I'm saying you're doing things the smart / safe way from here on out. :)

It's a pretty sure bet that with a mesh cover and 5 months being closed, the FC level is just about zero.
I raise to slam level, let it come down to 1/2 way to normal level, add Polyquat 60. Closed October 28th, opened April 15. FC=2 when I opened. I have 30K gallons and a mesh cover.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.