Omnilogic relays failing after update of firmware

Apr 26, 2016
NJ
I upgraded my Omnilogic panel today to the latest firmware. The MSP went through fine but while upgrading the MPP's firmware it did not go through and failed mid way. Now, the MPP doesn't show up in the config, I have a Ecostar VSP and a sense and dispense connected to the same board and that is recognized by the MSP and I am able to control it. However, none of the relayes, valves, sensors are being recognized.

I am not understanding how portions of the board could work and some of it not. According to the docs I have seen, the 12V and 24V led's are lit. The Micro Led is on off every second, it doesn't seem to be the 6 seconds I read in the docs.

I called Hayward support which was pretty much useless and they want an authorized service person to come and take a look at it at my expense. Not sure how an update to the firmware should cost me anything.

I did reset the settings clearing the DDT as suggested in the manual. No luck with that.

Any suggestions? I am very handy with electronics and the electrical side.

Thanks in advance

RS

I have no idea on Hayward equipment but let's see if this bump helps find you some ideas.

I'm not familiar with the OmniLogic is the update done via a USB? The firmware image might've been corrupted. Can you remember what the error message was when the MPP update failed? Are you able to reapply the firmware update again or is it not letting you? If you can, you might try to drop back to an earlier firmware version. A last resort would be trying a factory reset, but I'm not sure that would help.

I assume the Troubleshooting Guide is the docs that you referred to. How long have you had the system and is it still under warranty? I would try calling Hayward technical support again you may get someone more helpful next time.

I am not able to apply the firmware update again because now the Main panel is not visible. I have tried reverting to the previous firmware as well that didn't help either. Have tried a factory reset as well.
thx

Is it just the files that aren't visible when trying to update it? I did this last night. I got to the option of upgrading the MSP and MP. Once I hit the MP, it gave me a USB/ but none of the files were showing up and they did previously on the MSP. If you downloaded the files in Internet explorer to the USB, you have to delete the .txt at the end of the file. It will be visible after that on the main display. I went nuts on this trying to figure it out but noticed on one of the instruction pages, it says at the very bottom to use Chrome/Firefox/Safari to download the files. If using the IE, you have to delete the .txt.

Hope that works for you.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the OmniDirect to work like it states in the upgrade.

Reactions: Reesearnold
Is it just the files that aren't visible when trying to update it? I did this last night. I got to the option of upgrading the MSP and MP. Once I hit the MP, it gave me a USB/ but none of the files were showing up and they did previously on the MSP. If you downloaded the files in Internet explorer to the USB, you have to delete the .txt at the end of the file. It will be visible after that on the main display. I went nuts on this trying to figure it out but noticed on one of the instruction pages, it says at the very bottom to use Chrome/Firefox/Safari to download the files. If using the IE, you have to delete the .txt.

Hope that works for you.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the OmniDirect to work like it states in the upgrade.
I did this yesterday and noticed yes you have to make the cursor flash on the file name and backspace the.txt out of the file name and hit enter. I did it with Firefox Safari and chrome and all of them had a dot at the end .txT
.DMG or whatever.
And yes I am actually trying to figure out why the firmware updates not appearing like they claimed these features would appear.
My clients have an Omni logic panel and they don’t even have a pool it’s just a spa. And under the schedule for the heater it doesn’t let you choose a countdown timer or an egg timer. What the heck and I can’t put in spa mode because it is a spa it’s always in spa mode. so they need to make it to where these people can have an egg timer on the heater and have it go back to normal after three hours or whatever they Want.
The user interface looks great but intuitive is a stretch. To add a user is incredibly frustrating to find you got a dig for it. to add a user shouldn’t be that hard. There’s several things that I’ve tried to get accomplished and got lost in the menus more than five or eight times and still have not accomplished those particular tasks. I’m sorry that’s not intuitive that is a lot of work to be done. With that said it’s wonderful and it will be great after these kinks are worked out and menus are full with menu items and when you click on settings you see all your possible settings. It is not intuitive in that manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this yesterday and noticed yes you have to make the cursor flash on the file name and backspace the.txt out of the file name and hit enter. I did it with Firefox Safari and chrome and all of them had a dot at the end .txT
.DMG or whatever.
And yes I am actually trying to figure out why the firmware updates not appearing like they claimed these features would appear.
My clients have an Omni logic panel and they don’t even have a pool it’s just a spa. And under the schedule for the heater it doesn’t let you choose a countdown timer or an egg timer. What the heck and I can’t put in spa mode because it is a spa it’s always in spa mode. so they need to make it to where these people can have an egg timer on the heater and have it go back to normal after three hours or whatever they Want.
The user interface looks great but intuitive is a stretch. To add a user is incredibly frustrating to find you got a dig for it. to add a user shouldn’t be that hard. There’s several things that I’ve tried to get accomplished and got lost in the menus more than five or eight times and still have not accomplished those particular tasks. I’m sorry that’s not intuitive that is a lot of work to be done. With that said it’s wonderful and it will be great after these kinks are worked out and menus are full with menu items and when you click on settings you see all your possible settings. It is not intuitive in that manner.
A quick workaround, while not ideal is to set a theme for the heater. Create the theme with the heater set to temperature that you would like the spa to be at and also set whatever equipment needs to be on at that time also. Think of the theme as a snapshot of what is on and off on the Omnilogic at time of creation. Once the theme is saved, you can set a countdown timer on the theme. When the theme is on the heater will go to whatever temperature you had saved.

I am not able to apply the firmware update again because now the Main panel is not visible. I have tried reverting to the previous firmware as well that didn't help either. Have tried a factory reset as well.
thx
It sounds like the main panel's firmware is corrupted and may need to be sent in. The manual linked above talks about clearing the DDT from MSP to "refresh" it. I have no idea if this will fix it as I have never done it, but if you are feeling adventurous you can give it a try to see if it rediscovers it. Again, I have no idea if this will work or if it can cause further problems so there is a risk you will be taking if you decide to try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.