Official 2019 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here comes the crazy influx of zucchini! Summer in nepa has arrived. Lol. Had to pick all my lettuce also cause of the heat. I lost 5 heads this weekend cause it bolted on me. Cucumbers are coming quick too. Picked 6 already. I pick them really really thin so they have zero seeds almost.

E934720C-D96C-45DB-86C1-1729BEB2ACB8.jpeg

Played with the surface probe a little tonight before I cooked. I had to rig it up a bit so I don’t burn the wires. They can take up to 700 degrees but not directly touching so ThermoWorks says to do this.

In installed the app. I don’t plan on using it but wanted to see how it was. This was over WiFi. View attachment 110484View attachment 110485View attachment 110486View attachment 110487

Had flank steak marinating for a day. Cooked it on the sear station. I am loving my new grill.
Hey Jimm looking great, yeah wish my grill grates looked that good :cheers:

Here comes the crazy influx of zucchini! Summer in nepa has arrived. Lol. Had to pick all my lettuce also cause of the heat. I lost 5 heads this weekend cause it bolted on me. Cucumbers are coming quick too. Picked 6 already. I pick them really really thin so they have zero seeds almost.

View attachment 110499
Cucumbers great for pickling :cheers:

Pretty much there is an extra burner in between the 2 middle burners so when u turn a Separate knob it fires up that third burner and also jacks up the btu between the now ignited 3 burners. Suppose to be able to get temp up really really high. When I did ribeyes the other night when I finished them on the sear station within 10 secs they were almost black. It was nuts. I cooked the steak tonight in 6 mins I would say using it. Internal temp of 120 and then let it rest.
What is the make of your grill? I put my sear burner to the right of the grill and only use it when I cook steaks. The other burners are next to each other and are great for loading up with burgers, dog and wings:cheers:

It’s a built in Weber summit. They put thier sear station in the middle. Stupid setup cause it pretty much makes rest of grill useless till done with sear station. The outside burners are off when I sear. The middle 3 on full tilt.
What is the make of your grill? I put my sear burner to the right of the grill and only use it when I cook steaks. The other burners are next to each other and are great for loading up with burgers, dog and wings:cheers:

It’s a built in Weber summit. They put thier sear station in the middle. Stupid setup cause it pretty much makes rest of grill useless till done with sear station. The outside burners are off when I sear. The middle 3 on full tilt.
Hey Jimm wonder if you can move your sear burner, because I can move my sear burner to any one of the 3 position I have on my grill.:unsure: Just a thought :cheers:

No they have it setup in a way that u can’t. The knobs line up with each zone along with the flavorizer bars. The sear station 3 burners r closer to each other vs the outside 2 burners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chicken dinner tonight - lemon-pepper parts for the family, wings for me.

I picked up a new beer from Lagunitas...very hoppy ....
How do u get ur wings so charred and crispy looking? I did mine on indirect heat the whole time so they can cook longer and they didn’t get no where near that charred or Crispy looking.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
How do u get ur wings so charred and crispy looking? I did mine on indirect heat the whole time so they can cook longer and they didn’t get no where near that charred or Crispy looking.

So here’s how I do wings -

First, I use a sharp boning knife and I cut the little drumstick away from the winglet at the joint; I like my wing parts separate. Next, I put all the pieces in a large bowl and add my spicy ingredients - olive oil, Challula hot pepper sauce (I like chipotle flavor but you can use whatever hot sauce you like), dash of salt and lime juice. I mix that all up and let it sit for a half hour. While that’s marinating I get the grille hot. Next I put the wings on the grille, direct heat. I sear the wings on all sides until I get some nice burn marks and the winglet tips are crispy charred. Direct heat creates lots of smoke and flash flames so you have really watch it or else you’ll start a grille fire. I then transfer the wings to an aluminum pan, turn down the heat and cook them indirect with LOTS of BBQ sauce basting the wings. I try to keep the sauce on the wings and not let it pool in the pan. Wings are done when my instant thermometer hits 180-190F.

Thing to remember is that restaurants typically coat their wings with a dusting of flour and then throw them in the deep fryer. After they brown up and cook in the fryer, they take them out and coat them with sauce. So wings at a bar or restaurant will be crispier than on a grille. A grille is going to produce a meatier, chewy texture, not a crispy one.

As for the beer, it’s excellent but strong (8% ABV). It’s a sipping beer for sure.

Thanks man. I appreciate the time! I told my wife they wouldn’t be crispy cause of the exact reason u said. It’s not a fryer. Ok so next time direct heat to sear them. I like the pan idea so I don’t have a bbq sauce burnt mess to clean on the grill after.

Well I planned on fishing all night but the wind wouldn’t play nice so I’m home drowning my sorrows in mojito’s Brazilian cousin. And I missed dinner so I guess it’s left over flank steak for me. Lol. Man I love my sitting perch out here. I found a nice corner that I can lean on and throw my feet up bit still see the kids swimming and keep an eye on the grill. I’ll tell myself I planned it that way when we built. Lol

7A153BB6-7CA0-46CA-A9A1-0D964E5C4DEA.jpeg

Threw some blue fin and yellow tail in the smoker. The fish was from a recent fishing trip a couple guys from work went on out to San Clemente island.

They did well... over 500 pounds between 4 guys in a couple days.

My current beverage:

My current favorite that I'm finding great difficulty locating:

All bout the flank this week. Tonight’s flank was taco style. Traditional. None of that salsa stuff.

19A867B4-8EFA-4598-8080-F18036993789.jpeg5DE92E62-E712-4DC9-8052-FDD0600323E6.jpeg

This recipe was good guys. Really good.

The other one I did Tuesday was good too but this one was just as good.

2 keepers for sure.

• Love
I just picked and ate my first two Brown Turkey figs of the year. I got the fig tree back in January. It’s in a 30 gallon container right while I let it mature for a few seasons and then I’ll have to figure out where to plant it.

Here they were a week ago before I picked them -

Reactions: jimim
My kid loves fresh figs. My dad got him into them. I have a patient who has 10 different varieties in dog pots with wheels. In the winter she keeps her car outside and the trees in the garage. Lol They r beautiful trees. Lots of pruning she said.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.