Next upgrade VS Pump... how to pair with my SWG

Mar 21, 2016
Macungie pa
Looking to upgrade to a VS pump question is how to set it up with my SWG that doesn’t have a flow sensor. Currently turning off/on the SWG with my pump via a mech timer... should I remove the timer and run 24/7 or is there a way to wire the SWG to the VS such that they cycle together? Look at a Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWCG has a flow sensor, but that should be the secondary safety device.

When you install the VS pump, wire it through the timer but on the side that is not controlled by the timer. Wire the SWCG through the side of the timer that is controlled by it. Then, set up the timer to run the SWCG within the times you have the pump scheduled to run.

Reactions: Chuckiechan
Thanks nauss that was my initial thoughts just looking for clarification. Is there no way to delete the mech timer given that the VS pumps have timers built in? Guessing you have buy and additional relay or controller since my research seems to indicate there are load terminals on the pump timer

Some VS pumps have a built in relay that will control the power to the SWCG. The Pentair Superflo VS does not.

I use a mechanical timer for my swg. I set the pump timer to add some extra time before and after the swg start and stop times. If the times get out of sync the swg flow sensor will only allow operation when the pump is running. Are you sure you don't have a flow sensor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.