How to wire SWG to VS pump?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I ordered Universal 40 today for my 18,000 inground pool after reading so much on this forum. Now I am trying to figure out the best way to wire the unit to my VS pump (Hayward SP3202VSP). I understand I need to wire my SWG directly to the pump so that the water gets into the cell only when the pump is on. How do I do it? Originally I replaced my old pump with a VS one by connecting it to the old timer (see the picture below) which is now always on since the VS pump has its own timer. The VS pump has the second hole for wiring though (see the second picture). Is this what I can use to wire into the pump?

IMG_5963.jpg

pump.png

Attachments

• IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5963.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 9
VS pumps are intended to receive power 24/7. Your pump does not appear to have the ability to communicate (power on/off) a SWCG. You need to connect the SWG to a timer to receive power only while the pump is running.

TURN OFF POWER AT THE BREAKER

Your 240 volt timer has four terminals used for connections (ignore the first offset terminal). Terminals 1 and 3 receive power from the breaker (Line 1 and 2) and are always hot. Terminals 2 and 4 (Load 1 and 2) are controlled by the timer. Confirm that the red lines go to the pump. If so, move them to Terminals 1 and 3 for 24/7 power. Connect the SWG (usually blk/white) to Terminals 2 and 4. Connect the green ground to the others with the wire nut. You timer trippers will now control the SWG.

Don't forget to bond the SWG as described in the manual.

I ordered Universal 40 today for my 18,000 inground pool after reading so much on this forum. Now I am trying to figure out the best way to wire the unit to my VS pump (Hayward SP3202VSP). I understand I need to wire my SWG directly to the pump so that the water gets into the cell only when the pump is on. How do I do it? Originally I replaced my old pump with a VS one by connecting it to the old timer (see the picture below) which is now always on since the VS pump has its own timer. The VS pump has the second hole for wiring though (see the second picture). Is this what I can use to wire into the pump?

View attachment 519801

View attachment 519805
That second port on the pump is for low-voltage control wiring, as from pool automation.

Do your self a favor and get the Intermatic insulator for the time clock. Might save one from being injured. You can get them at Leslie's (for a little more) or here online:

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.