Hope Mills, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
What is involved in going from a (non functional) single speed motor to a variable speed motor? I have a mechanical timer and a SWG...everything is Hayward...no automation.

I see that the VS motors pretty much all come with a built in timer, so I assume I don't need the mechanical one any more, and the SWG has a flow switch, so nothing should change for it to keep running.

Any "gotcha's" I need to be aware of?

What is involved in going from a (non functional) single speed motor to a variable speed motor? I have a mechanical timer and a SWG...everything is Hayward...no automation.

I see that the VS motors pretty much all come with a built in timer, so I assume I don't need the mechanical one any more, and the SWG has a flow switch, so nothing should change for it to keep running.

Any "gotcha's" I need to be aware of?
Usually it is a "simple" motor replacement (shaft seal, gaskets/O rings) with the motor powered directly from the breaker. Many times installers will just remove the trippers on a time clock and turn it on.
Many YouTube videos on replacing a pool-pump motor. Probably one that matches your manufacturer.
Need to know the horsepower of the original pump so as to match the motor with the impeller.

SWG’s can and will explode if they are energized without the pump running. The flow switch is considered a SECONDARY safety device. You need a PRIMARY safety device which is a switch/relay/sensor that only allows the SWG to be powered when the pump is running. The problem with VSPs is that they are powered ALL THE TIME and so there isn’t a simple way to tie the SWG power into the pumps power.

You can use the mechanical timer to power the SWG and bracket the run times of the pump but you must keep that clock synchronized with the pump schedules. Others have installed current sensing relays to determine when the pump is running. Whatever you do, de-energizing the SWG must be the primary safety device.

SWG’s can and will explode if they are energized without the pump running. The flow switch is considered a SECONDARY safety device. You need a PRIMARY safety device which is a switch/relay/sensor that only allows the SWG to be powered when the pump is running. The problem with VSPs is that they are powered ALL THE TIME and so there isn’t a simple way to tie the SWG power into the pumps power.

You can use the mechanical timer to power the SWG and bracket the run times of the pump but you must keep that clock synchronized with the pump schedules. Others have installed current sensing relays to determine when the pump is running. Whatever you do, de-energizing the SWG must be the primary safety device.
Doesn't the VSP system have an output that can turn on the SWG?

Doesn't the VSP system have an output that can turn on the SWG?

Not typically. Some of the VSPs are starting to have external relays on them but those are typically the high end ones like Pentair. A simple VSP replacement motor likely won’t have that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.