Newbie Intro and Possible build-Cincinnati Ohio

Hey Kim,

The wire was actually put between the posts and rails. I would have to disassemble the entire fence to move. That’s why I was thinking the second roll of wire on the outside as an easier , cost effective, possibly code compliant solution

Pool Gate,

The builder said he preferred sand filters with the glass media b/c they didn’t have to be cleaned as often.

Regarding the heater. I want to extend the season from May to end of September. I have been told The Heat Pump, while slow and steady will accomplish this. Is that not the case?

I don’t really know how many drains and returns. I’m new to the pool building world. I assume it’s one big drain at the deep end? I am relying on the PB to spec what’s needed. Should I request a specific number of drains? Sorry/ I guess I don’t know enough to ask these types of questions yet.

The PB did state 2” inch pipe would be used if the complexity and volume required it. The pump will be 25-30 feet away. Could that possibly warrant the need for 2” inch? He seemed to think it was a judgement call. I can spec it and probably be charged for the additional pipe, but I guess I don’t really know why I would need it if the pool builder doesn’t think that it’s necessary for flow and GPM. I presume there are calculations that take gallons, head size, etc into account. Is more just better in this case?

The builder got a little confusing about changing depth. something about changing it to a non-diving pool and increases or decreases the liability, I can’t remember which. He said if I made the deep end 6 feet deep then I could make the shallow end 4 feet deep. But then he started talking about the non-diving pool liability and I was getting a little confused. The standard package has walls that are 42 inches tall in the shallow end. He said figure about 36 to 38” depth of water. My kids are young so I’m good with that. The deep end is 8 ft.

I did not get any gunite quotes as I assumed vinyl would be more cost effective.

I have not heard of stone marking the concrete. I will check it out!

Thanks again for all the help!

Filter is personal preference/experience - they all work.

Heat pump vs gas is a frequent debate item. Heat pumps generally are good at maintaining but not so much increasing (over a short time period). In off season nightly heat losses can be more than the heat pump can recover. Using a solar cover religiously helps a lot but most people stop putting the cover on due to the PITA nature of it. Also realize that even if the heat pump can recover the losses, it is likely it will be continuously on. Heat pumps by themselves are good for about 1-2 degree rise per day while gas heaters realize 1-2 degrees per hour.

I would go 2" since it will not be too much more expensive and gives you better flow regardless. There are "calculations" but I doubt anyone does them. I can't imagine this will run you more than a few hundred extra.

You need 2 skimmers, a floor drain and at least 2-3 returns. More is better strategically placed to promote good water flow. Look at your wind patterns especially to see where leaves will blow.

You should check with your insurance company about the pool and rate increases due to it.

When I was looking, liner pools were cheaper, but not much. In the grand scheme of things I would have saved under $5k on an $80k build. Significant yes but all relative.

Couple items I would suggest: Deck anchors for railings. Theses need to be connected to your bonding grid and that can only really be done when they pour the deck. I am going through this now and it is going to cost me a lot extra to add them after the fact. I need them for elderly relatives that need the rail to safely get into the pool. The railings are removable so you can take them out when not in use.

pbCFZ4vsu0r1vtQooWlrTEvaNs9ZaJb7yjH9WSbRHBCnC79RQVmQ-J4W16NiFb7c3PxAcko0DrHuiQr-O4r5m_u3BCjlwoM457fNFwyg84-7qkLUuUW_Z9hTzplYUYll3p3nb6kgCamSNvDw80x-AB8n9U6b8LRDiXzJwMRDwfm-Gu9obAiJ0RTSALTd97UUfgYXiGf3JpipS7tRcaL6lyo8JFAAHlOvBp2WukoBgi3dhXvrmZg5-IoiGWsXsucmHoNjda2okDHOzZ8RbPwFZ2aPC6uMDQw6fLcyXuyhYJaejvmRW9SceGhORPc5cj6r8tgaFPNhdtmm2xtjb92-vHnIkNDqqyg9XyIXvzADFmhVX2ssEcfzSjBtBlqDKf146cibDAnozThFb4poywMrnuHK56GizNgMUk2T8fybJi3QZZW0R3g-tddvdZ4iXXXfKubVokDZniigeNj7t4e4KRtiQwbwJdCi7s-wyJHdhDkW-0YzEj_zb-T8Q5i6eCYImAjH09WBjRVW2sIpfdhqXi1Mf2x9pMG7kgW0cSq7l9RTZQTOvzzTm96_OR4eCaBRQA8_JTu_iaNxoaZWwO73L5dduIKsUBH75b5pOrxaau8Tr7HT2KsnyNwqHPUQwUsPBSz-GZB9ghg8kvRMTKO_7znKtDDKom5N=w1560-h878-no

Todd, for starters, welcome to TFP! Just a FYI if you have American Electric Power you may wanna look online as they now offer $350 rebate on some pool pumps. Just saw this last night and I think it’s new this year....Key word is “think.” Again, that’s assuming you have AEP.

Todd.brock said:
Regarding the heater. I want to extend the season from May to end of September. I have been told The Heat Pump, while slow and steady will accomplish this. Is that not the case?

PoolGate said:
Heat pump vs gas is a frequent debate item. Heat pumps generally are good at maintaining but not so much increasing (over a short time period). In off season nightly heat losses can be more than the heat pump can recover. Using a solar cover religiously helps a lot but most people stop putting the cover on due to the PITA nature of it. Also realize that even if the heat pump can recover the losses, it is likely it will be continuously on. Heat pumps by themselves are good for about 1-2 degree rise per day while gas heaters realize 1-2 degrees per hour.

This feedback is dated and simply no longer true in many cases. Todd, I’m about an hour west of Pittsburgh just on the Ohio border so our temps are very similar. Due to no Natural Gas a NG heater wasn’t an option and propane simply would cost to much. This left us with a heat pump as our only option, and I love it! Sized correctly we now are swimming in about 85° weather in mid-May and commonly swim well into October. During the hot summer months we maintain 88°-90° and may only run the heat pump 3-4 hours a day. Our bill has only went up about $120 a month during the “colder” parts of the swim season while during peak swim time it maybe went up $50 a month. With our low power rates a heat pump is a legit option. As PoolGate mentioned however a cover is a wise investment regardless of your choice as without it your temps will drop each night.

Leebo- Our gas meter is on the other side of the house so that’s part of the motivation to go electric. I really didn’t plan on using the heater in hot part of the summer. I guess that will depend on how cold the water is! It seems like 85 is a nice warm number ?

We meet with the pool builder this week to see a 3D design. I have spoken to other PB and they are out halfway through the summer. This PB is trusted through 2 referrals. I have spoken at length with 3 others. I feel confident if we move forward, it would be with him. He still has spring dates , so that is a plus. I want to be swimming at Labor Day, not fussing with a build.

Hope all goes well. We ‘ll settle pipe sizing , number of drains, returns, etc. automation, etc. I think I’m just going to stick with regular concrete , standard coping , splurge for the light and VS Omni automation if it isn’t insane. Def go with the VS pump.

We are in Duke Energy territory. They also have a $300 rebate for VS pumps. That makes it a $450 upgrade. No brainer. More to come...

PM me if you wish and I’ll send you the plans for mine, it’s sort of the poor man’s version of that. You can see it in my build thread in my signature.

Or bdavis466 probably already has that exact pergola already drawn up. Second thought, he probably just wings it he’s so good.

I assume bdavis466 is a builder?

Hopefully he’ll chime in with some pics of a similar style shelter he has built. Would love to see it. I wish this was a down the road thing but it will be easier to include in permits now and finish at my pace but plan for it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim pulled me by my ear into here...

Do you need plans for permits or just design ideas?

Hopefully it didn’t hurt :)...I really enjoyed your thread about your “final” pool build. Can’t wait to see the final product.

Our PB is holding the 3D file for contracts signed only. We can look at the rendering, but said he has been burned sharing plans, drawings, etc with perspective customers, so I have nothing to show you of our design.

SO - I am thinking of putting up a structure that has a similar look and feel to the picture I referenced. It would be probably 12x12 or so in the same layout.

I was curious if you had any suggestions/pics or maybe drawings of a real world PT structure that has the look and feel referenced, but doesn’t have to be identical with the massive beams.
I don’t need plan drawings , just idea gathering.

I would be building it myself from typical lumber yard material. I have not the tools, ( nice band saw) or muscle to deal with those massive beams.

Thanks for any insight you have.

Here is a pic of our back porch when it was being built. All the pics in my thread are from the back deck. Thought about mimicking the gable detail but make it a little more dressed up.

5b34ca40f0b50d4be5fc5bc6dbf739b4.jpg

That would be no problem then. How close to the pool with this be? Have you considered extending your existing cover in lieu of adding an additional structure? Are you sure it doesn't need to be permitted?

I completely understand where your builder is coming from. I too have been burned on several occasions on CAD and 3D designs.

Thanks all- I have confirmed that the money tree has enough leaves to get this done. Looks like we might get a pool!!!! Wife and I go to meet with him and maybe sign the contract on Saturday.
Does anyone know about the new VS Omni automation by Hayward? I was quoted for the system with the VS pump.

It controls 4 items- Pump, LED light, Heater and the valve for deck jets. It doesn’t not integrate SWG control though. I don’t have a lot of need to automate, but it seemed like a reasonable option. THOUGHTS?

BRIAN-
In this pic, you can see the back yard from the deck. The pool will be where the 5 trees are standing.

Pool suite has nothing on my drawing. The covered porch would be towards the back of the yard. Hard to see , but it will be on other side of the pool.
d74ba1208477526f9c3549bc6a8dccef.jpg

46e8497d41812212a847cd8d02a008fb.jpg

We will probably have a side walk down to the pool. It will def. have to be permitted. I want the PB to include it on the permit and drawings. We will have the rendering on Sat if I pony up. ( did I mention I’m nervous?)

I was thinking a 12x12 or whatever behind the pool for a place to hang out. We have some new patio furniture that would be perfect for down poolside.

So..............I LOVE the building you already did.........what I don't understand is why you want another one on the back side of the pool. Fill me in on what you are thinking........what is your vision of your use of the new building? Just trying to get into your head.

Kim:kim:

My thought is that the pool will be 20 or 25 feet from the deck (guess). There is a railing on the deck and it is separate from the pool (potential)area. I thought having a pergola or something similar would be an area to hang out at the pool. I look at taking the idea of sitting under an umbrella a step further.

I just like the pretty picture. LOL. My wife wanted a 20 x16 cabin as a dang pool house!!

I really have no idea what it would look like. The PB is including a covered gazebo in his rendering so we’ll see what he comes up with on Sat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.