New to pools, pool guy seems to have done nothing for us

We are ready for war.

Readings taken from the deep end of the pool

FC 14.5 (29 drops to get to clear! I did swirl each drop)
CC 2 (4 drops to get to clear)
CYA 30
pH between 7.2 and 7.5 based on the color it was definitely up

I'm going to run the pump after eating dinner and cleaning a filter and then I will test before 9pm tonight again.

Attachments

• IMG_E0773.JPG
    IMG_E0773.JPG
    377.9 KB · Views: 15
We are ready for war.
I'm going to run the pump after eating dinner and cleaning a filter and then I will test before 9pm tonight again.
Put your armor on. lol Look out algae. :whip:
Does this mean you're not running the pump, and you're turning it off? Remember, you need to run the pump as long as possible to clear out the dead algae. Cartridge filters make that more work, but it helps.

Put your armor on. lol Look out algae. :whip:
Does this mean you're not running the pump, and you're turning it off? Remember, you need to run the pump as long as possible to clear out the dead algae. Cartridge filters make that more work, but it helps.

The pressure is up to 25 and I have to clean both filters, it's just not working enough. It was off all day anyways, can't be any worse!

Also the electricians put 2 outlets in the wrong areas. Have you ever seen an electrician cut a hole in your bathroom vanity and attach a GFI to it? lol

Reactions: Tena and mariane
Electrician came today to install some new wiring and outlets on the 2nd floor to get rid of the old knob and tube (my retired dad came over to the house to be there while they did their work). Stupid me forgot that pumps run on electric so the water stopped circulating around 9am until they're all done. Hopefully we didn't lose too much ground.
Oh I forgot about the electrician. :hammer: duh, sorry.

OH you poor thing! I would not have been able to watch him do that with yelling at him!!!:shock: NOOOOOOOOOO!!

Now make sure you both wear "old" clothes" when adding the bleach or put something fairly think over your good clothes to be on the safe side!

Kim:kim:

OH you poor thing! I would not have been able to watch him do that with yelling at him!!!:shock: NOOOOOOOOOO!!

Now make sure you both wear "old" clothes" when adding the bleach or put something fairly think over your good clothes to be on the safe side!

Kim:kim:

I wear only the finest beat up jeans and t shirt when I do pool stuff. And my knee high rubber boots.

Test as of 8:15pm - FC 13 (26 drops). I think I'm OK to wait until morning to see if I need to add anything. Filter and pump are running great, water is swirling and moving good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here we go. You can see how it's clearing up but still murky green with the light on. At least I can see my jets!

Attachments

• June 4_01.JPG
    June 4_01.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 37
  • June 4_02.JPG
    June 4_02.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 37
  • June 4_03.JPG
    June 4_03.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 39
  • June 4_04.JPG
    June 4_04.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: justinc
FC reading was still high this morning, then I realized I'm a dummy and left 2 pucks in since Monday to help increase the CYA. Whoops :(

Took the pucks out and installed a freshly cleaned filter, pressure was nice at 14 psi when I left the house. I'll test again when I get home. Even with these hairnets though there's a lot of little gnats that are getting into the filter. I tried filling water bottles with vinegar but they don't want anything to do with them, they just want to fly over my pool and drown themselves by the millions

Yes, one of the joys of pool ownership is all of the critters that like to make your pool their final resting place or temporary playpen. It's why devices like the "skimmer angel" exist and people on this forum joke about not letting their wives or girlfriends empty the skimmer since they won't ever swim again after that. I get frogs, baby rabbits, birds, raccoons... and lots of bugs and spiders.

Reactions: BowserB
Something else I forgot to post about, this fitting leaks when the pressure is low (probably since there's more force going through it) at a constant drip. When the PSI gets up to about 25 it won't leak. This is the return side.

Where can I find replacement parts? I want to replace the 1 1/2" fitting going into the filter, and the other end. The thread fitting is new and in good shape, I think the rubber part inside may not be good. I keep putting teflon tape and Oatey white thread goop on it but it still leaks.

Attachments

• Pipe Leak.jpg
    Pipe Leak.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 28
When you buy bleach, buy plenty of DE, because you will be using a lot of it. The downside of how well DE filters is how fast DE loads up and needs backwashing.

Question: My pool is in good shape now thanks to the advice I received on this forum (I successfully did a SLAM etc etc). But how often should I backwash my filter and add new DE? Once a month? Every six months?

Morning everyone! I talked with a co-worker and I was given a good tip, I'm taking my water to a pool place in town during lunch and I'm having it tested. I'll ask to get a printout or reading of the levels so I can post them here. They'll also tell me exactly what I need.

I'll get the test kit at some point but from what I've seen it's $70-100 - right now if I can get it read for free anytime I'll do that. Once it's stabilized and clear I can invest in that kit.

You'll get a printout that may or may not be accurate and only serves to bring you in the store to sell you stuff that you may or may not need. I have been to two local pool stores and watched them test. The first one had a less sophisticated testing apparatus than me, the other didn't understand the results and attempted to sell me stabilized chlorine when my CYA was already too high.

The test kit is worth the investment b/c you are forced to engage with the pool and understand it by repeated, accurate testing.

Question: My pool is in good shape now thanks to the advice I received on this forum (I successfully did a SLAM etc etc). But how often should I backwash my filter and add new DE? Once a month? Every six months?
That's what the pressure gauge is for. After a good teardown cleaning and recharge, you know your clean pressure. Then when that increases 25%, you backwash. So if clean it's 12 psi, you backwash at 15.

How often that is depends on how much stuff gets in the pool. For me, it's about twice a year.

Reactions: apv
Oh DoubleEcho, we were doing so well until your coworker got involved LOL. Do not trust the pool store. They are giving "free" tests so they can sell you a bunch of stuff you won't understand or don't need. We are giving you free advice (TFP folks don't make any profits from bleach...or any other of these department store chemicals). The pool store... well.. they are gonna give you some tablets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.