New to Pools - Pool Closed for FOUR YEARS.....HELP!

So I think it is actually some stuck on residue . Or maybe all the powder chemicals melted the liner? I got teeny weeny shavings but that's it. And only a couple. I have only added baking soda, 12 pounds of shock in the beginning and then the stabilizer (4.4 pounds) which I added a little at a time...taking 12 hours to do it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Serenity, does it pull apart like batting? Is it hard to the touch, or soft? I'm sure its nothing YOU did, but foreclosures are subject to all kinds of shenanigans, from frustrated homeowners to quick fix foreclosure maintenance companies to even the city if it was at some point left open and breeding mosquitos.

I'm just wondering if at some point a chair cushion made it into the pool...in our foreclosure, once the water cleared, we found a cell phone battery, a leaf rake, and a (closed) bottle of floc...which kinda told a tale ;)

So goodness knows what it might be. I guess the best course is to keep on til the water is crystal clear so you can access the integrity of the liner and determine whether removal is viable. The alternate would be to determine now that you want to change the liner. Tough choices, but if you're getting close to clear, I guess I'd keep going and see. It might eventually release.

I'm just wondering if at some point a chair cushion made it into the pool...in our foreclosure, once the water cleared, we found a cell phone battery, a leaf rake, and a (closed) bottle of floc...which kinda told a tale ;)
"Ok Bob, all you have to do is turn off your filter, throw this in and it will clear right up"

"Throw the whole thing in?"

"Yep, the whole thing."

Serenity, does it pull apart like batting? Is it hard to the touch, or soft? I'm sure its nothing YOU did, but foreclosures are subject to all kinds of shenanigans, from frustrated homeowners to quick fix foreclosure maintenance companies to even the city if it was at some point left open and breeding mosquitos.

So goodness knows what it might be. I guess the best course is to keep on til the water is crystal clear so you can access the integrity of the liner and determine whether removal is viable. The alternate would be to determine now that you want to change the liner. Tough choices, but if you're getting close to clear, I guess I'd keep going and see. It might eventually release.
Well, ours wasn't a foreclosure. The owners who sold it in 2012 took great care of the property. It had a nice trampoline style safety cover on it which we took off when opening.

The people who bought it from these owners never opened it......oddly. I mean....who does that?

It feels like pool math doesn't work for me. I even reduced my pool volume and I add just a quarter of the 128 oz of liquid chlorine, 10% and sometimes it shoots me up 4 FC and sometimes 6, 7 or 8. Using the pool math, my numbers are always off. Now I am just pouring it and testing an hour or so later.

I am not understanding why the calculations are off so much.

It feels like pool math doesn't work for me. I even reduced my pool volume and I add just a quarter of the 128 oz of liquid chlorine, 10% and sometimes it shoots me up 4 FC and sometimes 6, 7 or 8. Using the pool math, my numbers are always off. Now I am just pouring it and testing an hour or so later.

I am not understanding why the calculations are off so much.

Also, overnight our FC hardly drops...if at all, but come daylight, it drops quicker.

Just to be sure, when you add the chlorine, it is with the pump running, added slowly in front of a return and then allowed to mix 30(ish) minutes? Do you always add and test from the same spot?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then the only possibilities are chlorine strength out of the jug or testing error. I suspect A. For a 24k pool, 64 oz (half a bottle) should raise FC by 2 (see bottom of http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html) I would first check the date code on the bottle. If it is new-ish I would add 64 oz and then test 30 minutes later. I would then play with the pool volume in the calculator until it matched actual result.

Yah, I played with the volume to get it to match the other day. It put it at 25000 gallons. But calcu are off later. Must be the chlorine. They didn't have a date...just random numbers. Unless I don't know how to read the code. See here.....

cfb3f5315aca315d45932868f515e6d3.jpg

You might need to turn up the pump for better circulation.

Could also be testing error, are you holding the bottle vertically over the tube and slowly adding drops? Do all the drops look the same size? Swirling constantly?

You might need to turn up the pump for better circulation.

Could also be testing error, are you holding the bottle vertically over the tube and slowly adding drops? Do all the drops look the same size? Swirling constantly?
Our pump does not seem to have speeds. My pool has two jets, a main drain and one skimmer. I use the jet on the deep end since the other is on the stairs and I could end up damaging the liner using that one.

Yes, I was eyeing the drops to make sure they were even, etc. I have the speed stirrer and spin after each. I have even tried letting it spin the entire time. No difference.

Regardless of the odd issues I am having, I can see the entire bottom. That is GREAT progress :) It is still a little cloudy in the deep end but looking so good for opening just a week and a half ago....and, after four years being closed. : ) :) :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.