New Pump Choice?

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Well first off this website has been the best.......havent had any issues with my water or pool in a long time, thanks to this website.......it looks like I need to get a new variable speed pump, as the Jandy pump we got has circuit issues and is messing up the drive and motor functions. I must state I am not real handy, so am going to have someone install. After research and talking with people it seems that Pentair and Hayward at this stage of the game are the 2 best to get. Was wondering what peoples experience on here has been in regards to variable speed pumps.......the Jandy was complicated to program and should have lasted longer than 9 years so I was leaning towards a Pentair or Hayward.
Thanks

It's Ford vs. Chevy. There have been lots of issues with Hayward Ecostar pumps. The Tristar seem to have a better reputation. I would go with Pentair. It really depends what specific model pump you are thinking of.

Do you have automation or ever thinking of getting it. Your automation panel , VS pump, and SWG work best from the same vendor.

I’ve had both, Hayward TriStar VS and Pentair’s venerable Intelliflo VSPs. I’ve had a soft spot for the Hayward (it’s a 1.85hp, so be mindful of your HP needs) as it worked so well, was easy to program and manage as a stand-alone non-automation single-speed replacement. It was breeze to swap in too. I miss the way it sounded too, just a beautiful and smooth throttle.

I like my Intelliflo, and how it interfaces with my automation, and it’s a workhorse. I just don’t think it’s as intuitive and fit&finish as it should be. It’s also had some squeaks and premature parts wear. Dollars to dollars, if you can get a Tristar (Hayward SP3202VSP 1.85 HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump, TriStar VS). for under $900, grab it. I shopped and got one for cheap and my electrical utility gave me a $200 rebate to boot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.