New Pump Choice?

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
Well first off this website has been the best.......havent had any issues with my water or pool in a long time, thanks to this website.......it looks like I need to get a new variable speed pump, as the Jandy pump we got has circuit issues and is messing up the drive and motor functions. I must state I am not real handy, so am going to have someone install. After research and talking with people it seems that Pentair and Hayward at this stage of the game are the 2 best to get. Was wondering what peoples experience on here has been in regards to variable speed pumps.......the Jandy was complicated to program and should have lasted longer than 9 years so I was leaning towards a Pentair or Hayward.
Thanks

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
It's Ford vs. Chevy. There have been lots of issues with Hayward Ecostar pumps. The Tristar seem to have a better reputation. I would go with Pentair. It really depends what specific model pump you are thinking of.

Do you have automation or ever thinking of getting it. Your automation panel , VS pump, and SWG work best from the same vendor.

KDpoolguy

Bronze Supporter
Mar 5, 2017
Palm Desert, CA
I’ve had both, Hayward TriStar VS and Pentair’s venerable Intelliflo VSPs. I’ve had a soft spot for the Hayward (it’s a 1.85hp, so be mindful of your HP needs) as it worked so well, was easy to program and manage as a stand-alone non-automation single-speed replacement. It was breeze to swap in too. I miss the way it sounded too, just a beautiful and smooth throttle.

I like my Intelliflo, and how it interfaces with my automation, and it’s a workhorse. I just don’t think it’s as intuitive and fit&finish as it should be. It’s also had some squeaks and premature parts wear. Dollars to dollars, if you can get a Tristar (Hayward SP3202VSP 1.85 HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump, TriStar VS). for under $900, grab it. I shopped and got one for cheap and my electrical utility gave me a $200 rebate to boot.