New pool startup / maintenance....installers chem cocktail (minerals)

cznkane

Gold Supporter
Aug 23, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Merged threads - TFP Mod
So I'm using the Pool Math app and went to add a log entry for chlorine free shock...can't find it.
Also added (6) 3" tabs of Trichlor...don't see where I'd enter that one either. I'm sure I'm missing it, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Last edited by a moderator:
So my builder did the following to open up our new pool as well as left the following directions.
I'm not used to this 'mineral' way of doing things, appreciate any and all feedback / thoughts

Day one
  • ProTeam SuperemPLUS (full 45lb pail)
  • ClearView Chlor Free Shock & Swim 15 (2lb)? (was writing down mental notes as fast as I could, not certain on this one)
  • Dichlor? (was writing down mental notes as fast as I could, not certain on this one)
  • Filter 24/7 for one day
Day two
  • C3 Chlorinating Trichlor Tablets (3 in feeder, turned up halfway to 2.5)
  • Natural Chemistry Pool First Aid (two capfuls)
  • Natural Chemistry phosRemove Pro Series (one capful)
  • Jack’s Magic the ionizer stuff (4oz)
  • Haviland Durachlor Combat 60 (4oz)
  • HDX Muriatic Acid (1 gal)
  • Filter 10hr a day during the day
Instructions
  • Keep TA on the higher end, 150 or so
  • Keep PH around 7.4
  • Keep FC around 1ppm
  • Weekly
    • ClearView Chlor Free Shock & Swim (2lb)
    • Jack’s Magic the ionizer stuff (4oz)
    • Natural Chemistry phosRemove Pro Series (one capful)
    • Haviland Durachlor Combat 60 (4oz)
    • C3 Chlorinating Trichlor Tablets (check and refill as needed)
  • After each rain / party
    • ClearView Chlor Free Shock & Swim (2lb)

You should never use MPS - non chlorine shock- in a pool.
Tablets are trichlor. It is in Poolmath. A 3 inch tablet is 8 oz.

You should never use MPS - non chlorine shock- in a pool.
Tablets are trichlor. It is in Poolmath. A 3 inch tablet is 8 oz.
Thank you. So even though I added the tablets to the feeder I should go ahead and mark down 48oz of Trichlor? (meaning, it's not all going in there right now but it'll be dissolving for the next few weeks)
Sounds like I need to do some reading up on "MPS" (assuming that's the 45% Potassium Monopersulfate in this stuff).

Non-chlorine shock does not provide any benefits to a residential pool due to the oxidation requirements being well below what proper chlorination will provide. It does, however, cause testing errors in the FAS-DPD test and introduces sulfates in to the water which will attack metals if the concentration rises too high. With no upside and plenty of downside its use is not recommended.

So even though I added the tablets to the feeder I should go ahead and mark down 48oz of Trichlor?
Your choice to not follow TFP methods.

Non-chlorine shock does not provide any benefits to a residential pool due to the oxidation requirements being well below what proper chlorination will provide. It does, however, cause testing errors in the FAS-DPD test and introduces sulfates in to the water which will attack metals if the concentration rises too high. With no upside and plenty of downside its use is not recommended.
Appreciate the details, thank you. I'm very new and attempting to learn and understand. Have read through the ABCs etc and didn't see anything about this in particular.

Your choice to not follow TFP methods.
Confused by your remark but I'll go read. Please try to be a bit nicer in your replies...I'm learning here.

OK, I went and read the link above....I see that the tablets can lead to excessive CYA levels (understood). But are they not a good way to get to a correct CYA level to start? Again...I'm trying to learn here so please be patient with me. If my pool is brand new and I need to get some CYA in there...why not use Trichlor tablets until I'm up to spec?

OK, I went and read the link above....I see that the tablets can lead to excessive CYA levels (understood). But are they not a good way to get to a correct CYA level to start? Again...I'm trying to learn here so please be patient with me. If my pool is brand new and I need to get some CYA in there...why not use Trichlor tablets until I'm up to spec?
Sure you can use them to get CYA up. I would recommend that you get a test kit for use at home. Pool store results are inaccurate and unreliable. The test kit will help you monitor while you are raising CYA. Test Kits Compared

TFP recommends the use of 100% CYA in a sock, either in your skimmer or in front of a return. It is a more reliable method (and cheaper) to get the correct amounts into your pool. Then you need to review the FC/CYA chart and maintain the appropriate amount of FC to sanitize your pool. FC/CYA Levels

Might be worth a review. Recommended Levels Will help you understand the recommended levels for your pool. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry will also help you understand how water chemistry in a pool works.

WELCOME TO TFP!!

Reactions: cznkane and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a vinyl pool?

A vinyl liner pool needs no special water chemistry startup. You just adjust the water chemistry to the Recommended Levels and go swim.

I don't know why your pool guy is creating a chemical soup.

Get a proper test kit - Taylor K-2006C or TF-100 Test Kits - and take control of YOUR pool.

That is one way to get cya in to the water. But regardless, you must follow the FC/CYA Levels. Using trichlor that erratically dissolves you will need to test CYA often. Best is to add a certain amount of CYA, then maintain a certain amount of FC. Keep the tablet to use for short vacations when you can’t add chlorine daily.

Reactions: cznkane
This is a vinyl pool?

A vinyl liner pool needs no special water chemistry startup. You just adjust the water chemistry to the Recommended Levels and go swim.

I don't know why your pool guy is creating a chemical soup.

Get a proper test kit - Taylor K-2006C or TF-100 Test Kits - and take control of YOUR pool.
Yes...a vinyl lined above ground. Will get a proper test kit and plan on taking control of it...just not sure where the heck I am and what the effects of / limitations of what's already been done. IE: is there anything I should or shouldn't do at this point or just get going with adjusting CYA / getting some FC going? It seemed like a chemical soup to me too but I'm new and he insisted it's a fancy mineral way to do it. Now that all that stuff is dumped in there...am I going to need to wait a while to let it do something before I get after doing it correctly? Thanks again, appreciate the reply and patience with this newbie.

So I'm using the Pool Math app and went to add a log entry for chlorine free shock...can't find it.
Also added (6) 3" tabs of Trichlor...don't see where I'd enter that one either. I'm sure I'm missing it, anyone able to point me in the right direction?
Just a thought. If you are putting tabs in the pool, please don't put them in the skimmer, they can cause damage. Get a floater.

I would read through your warranty and see what it specifies as far as pool water testing and additives, just so you know. A year or so ago, after a fight with algae, I decided to abandon my attempts to keep up with the warranty requirements and just started following the TFP methods (there was no way for me to do both unfortunately). Keeping your FC around 1ppm is a recipe for algae no matter what your CYA level is.

Get your test kits, run the tests, post the results.

The sooner you stop the nonsense the better off you will be.

Reactions: mknauss and cznkane
Yes...a vinyl lined above ground. Will get a proper test kit and plan on taking control of it...just not sure where the heck I am and what the effects of / limitations of what's already been done. IE: is there anything I should or shouldn't do at this point or just get going with adjusting CYA / getting some FC going? It seemed like a chemical soup to me too but I'm new and he insisted it's a fancy mineral way to do it. Now that all that stuff is dumped in there...am I going to need to wait a while to let it do something before I get after doing it correctly? Thanks again, appreciate the reply and patience with this newbie.
Add enough Liquid Chlorine to keep your pool at 5ppm of FC.

Order the test kit PRONTO, don't do much else until you get accurate testing on your pool.

We will help you! I'm new too, after I got it right, I spend less than 5 minutes a day and have a BEAUTIFUL POOL.

If you want evidence of the results you will get, go here --> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs!

Thank you all very much, everything makes a lot of sense to me. The tablets were added to an erosion chlorinator plumbed in after the filter and before the return jet. I need to get a test kit of my own that measures CYA...the installer left me with a basic pH/FC/TA test kit.

Took it to the pool store yesterday and they read
FC 0.17
TC 0.23
pH 7.8
TA 176
CH 108
CYA 5
Iron 0.1
Copper 0.5
Phosphates 0
TDS 600

I figure their readings are probably suspect...but that CYA and FC can't be that off (meaning: I gotta get those going, they might not be that low but they're clearly low)
Thanks again to you all, I'll get a proper test kit and get better readings.

Should I be concerned with all that has been dumped in already or just get going with CYA/FC adjustments?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.