New pool in Jersey...they're here!

Besides a couple of punch list items (wrinkle in sundeck liner that may or may not be fixable and need escutcheons for deep end ladder), we are done. There is a big debate about who is going to backfill the first trench that was dug for electrical, which was then used by plumber a month later. Electricians say they don't fill it because plumber used it last and plumber says he only used it because it was still open. I have to call the pb today about it. Why is this my job to be dealing with the sub nonsense? 20190911_121739.jpg

Attachments

• 20190908_134338.jpg
    20190908_134338.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 15682239829152191763494793841870.jpg
    15682239829152191763494793841870.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 66
I'll give you my answer speaking from experience. I'd fill the trench myself, because they, in all likelihood, won't properly compact in lifts as they fill it, which will lead to settling. Then you get left with a linear depression in your lawn after a year or so which will then be yours to deal with. I'm a realist on this stuff. Sometimes this causes me extra work.

Reactions: Newdude and KaiBee
I'll give you my answer speaking from experience. I'd fill the trench myself, because they, in all likelihood, won't properly compact in lifts as they fill it, which will lead to settling. Then you get left with a linear depression in your lawn after a year or so which will then be yours to deal with. I'm a realist on this stuff. Sometimes this causes me extra work.
Thanks for that. We already filled one trench and they showed up an hour afterwards (which was almost a week after it passed inspection) and actually said they wouldn't fill the other one instead (which was already half filled and shorter). I really wanted to be petty but I'm so over it already. Yes we will fill it ourselves.

Reactions: Newdude
Little man doing the running cannon ball in pic 2 is my spirit animal. He is looking the other way but you can still see his smile becuase the it is THAT big. There are so many more smiles in your future Kai. And very small amount of boot-to-butts.

Also like to add, i had a terrible time growing grass in the sandy dirt that the left us around the pool. Normal newdude knew better that he needed topsoil to speed it along, but we overshot our budget my a mile and still had to buy a cover to close the pool. So we had kinda grass, kinda dirt for a while. I got a bunch of square paver bricks at HomeDepot/Lowes for stepping stones. They were around $2 a piece and were much nicer than the cardboard walkway that we were (also) using. As an added bonus, i got to make a second walkway with the stones once i didnt need them by the pool anymore.

Reactions: KaiBee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also like to add, i had a terrible time growing grass in the sandy dirt that the left us around the pool. Normal newdude knew better that he needed topsoil to speed it along, but we overshot our budget my a mile and still had to buy a cover to close the pool. So we had kinda grass, kinda dirt for a while. I got a bunch of square paver bricks at HomeDepot/Lowes for stepping stones. They were around $2 a piece and were much nicer than the cardboard walkway that we were (also) using. As an added bonus, i got to make a second walkway with the stones once i didnt need them by the pool anymore.
Trying to convince the hubs to buy stones, indoor outdoor carpet, (or anything really) has been difficult since it's the end of season. I like to choose my battles (heater now instead of later, sundeck). We will put that money towards topsoil though, so thanks for that confirmation!

As most patio people want to wait a season or more to allow everything to settle, many friends who built pools had to come up with something temporary. One set of friends lined the whole perimeter with indoor/outdoor carpet and i thought it was genious. Until i priced out my own and it was going to be $1000 for something i would never use again. You have the patio in place already so you only need a walkway to the patio. Should be much cheaper for you guys. HomeDepot/Lowes had it all year in the carpet aisle and if memory serves, it was about $1.50 a foot. Two 4 foot wide pieces however long you need wouldnt be bad. The irony of whatever you choose, is you will grow grass, then remove the temp walkway and have to grow grass again where the walkway was. But during that part, people can walk on all the other grass.

I took the $1000 that the perimeter carpet was going to cost me and got a bigger patio with it. 2 patio guys refused to install the first year. The 3rd didnt care and said they would just come back if anything settled. I settled alot and half the patio was ruined but it was mostly my own fault for unknowingly letting the pool overflow all winter. He didnt care and came back to fix it all. Since then i check the pool level periodically (more frequently once its closer to full) and drain when its time.

I'm thinking about closing at the end of October. So far we have been lucky with the weather being warm enough to swim almost daily (and def on the weekends). Looks like the first weekend in October is gonna be a cold one though!
When I buy a cover, can I just get an oversized rectangular one or does it have to be the shape of the pool? We are just getting the tarp style for now. And probably aqua blocks instead of the bags. My pb charges $260 for closing. I an going to see if I can get some shirt I'd discount because they never gave me any start up chemicals (besides salt). I did that all on my own. How much is a reasonable amount to ask for? Or should I just ask for the chemicals they owe me and store them for later? Thanks.

20190923_215630.jpg
Night pics. Kids got to have their first night swim the other day(first day of fall). It was still 80+degrees at 730! So I had them jump in before bed routine.

Attachments

• 20190923_194822.jpg
    20190923_194822.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190923_194813.jpg
    20190923_194813.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190923_195804.jpg
    20190923_195804.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190923_194826.jpg
    20190923_194826.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190923_200139.jpg
    20190923_200139.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 19
Just a thought Kai. We had blown our budget so badly that I set out to get a tarp for the first year or 2 until we recovered a bit. The tarp wasn’t bad but the HD water bags were much more than I wanted to spend for a short term solution. So we bit the bullet again and went right to the safety cover.

With regards to the shaped or rectangle cover, everyone seems to get a liner that fits their shape. I believe the manufacturer won’t want the cover running on any more patio than it absolutely has to, but my cover touches over 4ft of patio on both sides of my stairs. It has held up just fine there so I don’t see why it couldn’t overhang 4 ft in other spots as well. And after it snows the cover is pulled tight against the coping the whole perimeter of the pool. Sometimes it doesn’t melt for over a month and it just sits there rubbing the whole time.

If you getting a rectangle voids the warranty then I wouldn’t advise it, just In case you need that warranty one day, but I’ve seen enough in my own backyard to believe it wouldn’t matter.

The next 10 days will not be above 73 degrees so last night after swimming I turned the heater off. The season is officially over for us. I have to schedule my closing and buy a tarp, etc. My water is already at the bottom of skimmer and I will continue to maintain the water chemistry until I begin closing procedures. My friend reccomended their person who does this on the side ( works for a pool company). I will tell him not to add any chemicals so hopefully all goes well.

Haven't seen or talked to pb since they installed my rail and ladder. Of course he never brought back the escutcheons for base of ladder but I'll address that when I go ask about my opening chemicals that I never got.

Thanks for all the help this season!!!

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Yesterday. October 2. High of 94, last day in pool. Today, high of 64, raining all day, jackets and pants on.

Attachments

• 20191002_170822.jpg
    20191002_170822.jpg
    749.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20191002_162415.jpg
    20191002_162415.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 15701122189481367539211244013499.jpg
    15701122189481367539211244013499.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.