New pool in Jersey...they're here!

Experiences with PB's in NJ is not a pleasant experience. Very few people come back with 100% positive comments. But then again, these are the people that do not wish to open up as they feel embarrassed by picking this pool company. IMHO, they are all the same. The communication of pool builders is really lacking. All consumers want is direct communication. We all understand that time constraints and delay's happen all the time, but not showing up, not returning calls, text messages, e-mails is just bad for business. In the end, they just do not care as the PB's that have been in business for a long time will remain in business for a long time, no matter how many complaints you see on line. Please keep us posted! You did not mention which PB unless I missed something.
I did not post the company on here, but have PM'd a few people. I agree 100% with you. Just be honest or as close to it as you can without committing to a set date. Our pb has not contacted us about anything, at all, since we signed the contract. We found out about things because we called them, every time. And our pb told us that they tried doing more than they can handle a few years ago and realized their service started slacking so they went back to fewer pools! Yeah ok. I guess their service always sucked then.

Also as somebody who works in a trade, as well as most of my friends who do as well, you are hiring somebody in their busiest time of year. Especially in Jersey. It is a shorter build season and most companies overbook and just cant keep up. Call the HVAC guy when your A/C dies in August, or the furnace guy in January. They'll be spread just as thin. I am in no way shape or form condoning the lack of communication but i deal with the public as well. 99% of my customers do not want to hear we are busy at the moment and the only outcome is to wait. So its hard. Either be honest and get screamed at all the time, or ghost the customer. For the record i choose the honest/yelled at. Its not fun most of the time but at least i respond.
I agree that communication is key. That's all I've been asking for this whole time. We signed the first week of March thinking we were ahead of the game. Especially since my number 1 question when interviewing was will it be ready by the 4th. I get that this year has been rainy, I really do, but to take 9 weeks to build a basic vinyl pool and having signed the contract 5 months ago is ridiculous. And they told me to my face that it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks but ours will be closer to 3 or 4! Shouldve kept that unnecessary lie out of it because I hadn't asked at that point. I am glad that you are one of the good ones that keeps it real.

Reactions: Newdude
I am really surprised as the PB gets 90% of the funds as the pool is being built. My pool was built in less than one week and I was almost the last one. The project took forever because of other issues, but again most PB's are real sloppy! I have never seen anyone start in the spring and be ready by summer in NJ. It takes over 18 months usually from start to finish to get a CA from the township. Please keep us posted.

TFP doesn't like to see disagreements between PB and customers aired out on the forum. We have no way of determining both sides so we strongly suggest PB and customer work hard on settling their disputes outside of the forum.

Rule #4 of our Forum Rules........
No strongly positive or negative posts about a product or company are permitted from members with little involvement on the forum. We simply cannot determine the accuracy of your post. Further, any post for the sole reason of defaming another party or presenting only your side of a disagreement will be deleted without notice.

Most people have the joys of setbacks. You my friend seem to be the most joyous of them all at the moment. (Which sucks and again im sorry it will get better). My PB was awesome but the subbed electrician messed us up for 3 weeks. And the standard weather delays. (Mine was heat. My cement caked itself hard on the outside and took 2 extra weeks to cure on the inside). Im not complaining, we got off easy by comparison. Point is the more work crews get involved, the more permits and perfectly arranged who needs to work first, AND the weather..... yeah its a miracle anybody got their pool built. Grass grows great in the fall so you will probably be all put back together by the time it gets colder and hopefully you got a bunch of swims in too. Next year its all lemonade and luaus. Promise.

Reactions: KaiBee
We got salt and equipment turned on today. They left prob 2 bags worth in the bottom of deep end so I mixed it in and an hour later took a test. They also cut in our last return, put in the shallow end rope and added the niche for my sundeck light.
As I have not discussed anything with my pb after this....is there anything I need to do or check?

The plumber called today to tell me how much it was to run the gas line for the heater. Iy was $450 more than what the pb told us it would be! I asked about a cash discount and he said he'd take $100 off. I just spoke with the mason. We are going to cut out the 12×16 pad for the gazebo and just have the cement go 5 ft around the deep end to save a little bit now. We will keep the fence big enough there to add later. I am also torn on my design. Since we went with aluminum coping at the time i was trying to make it a little nicer by adding either a darker border or a saw cut design around it. I might even decide to go with regular plain concrete because of the savings. Uhhhh ... any thoughts?

What my swg is reading...

Attachments

• 20190808_162728.jpg
    20190808_162728.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 87
  • 20190806_192958.jpg
    20190806_192958.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 90

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Designs I am thinking of... I believe they all came from here.
First photo is of Sunnymosmile's pool with sawcuts
Second photo is of Mr. Wolfe's pool with two toned but I would use a darker gray and plain for the rest
3rd is sawcut and two toned (gray border) by albion8899
And last but certainly not least (the pic that chose my liner!) Is of Joey316g's pool.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190515-214621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190515-214621_Chrome.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20190808-183303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190808-183303_Chrome.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20190808-182625_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190808-182625_Chrome.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20190604-231350_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190604-231350_Chrome.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 48
I know it was slow but its really looking good. You'll have to decide how much and what kind of patio you can do. We thought stamped concrete was going to save us a bunch. It cost every penny that the flagstone did so we went with the stone. Style comes down to taste, but my recommendation is to have at least one area that is big. Very big. You alraedy have 5. Add 2 couples that are friends and their kids and it will be 13. An 8 person table with another smaller one next to it to fit everybody takes space. I was already way over budget. We went as big as we could. (9ft on 2 sides of the rectangle and a 5ft walkway on the other 2) I kick myself alot for not going even bigger on the hangout side. The gazebo and its pad can be done later.

With regards to the fence, just remember..... the barb wire spikes face outward. You have 4 boys to keep out if they are unsupervised at that moment and a fence to boys is nothing but an invitation. A dare even. So the outward angle makes it much harder to climb in. Once they are in you wont care if its slighty easier to climb out.
(Joking of course)

This is the proposed deck. Not getting the pad right now though. The house is to the right of pic. As of now the fence will be black aluminum and will go where the 16 ft line is (behind future gazebo) in a rectangular shape right behind the 11ft bump out at the top of pic. A slide will eventually go on the 14ft side where the little square is. There are spots that will be fenced in but not concrete so we will use those areas for a beach area (have to figure out a way to cover it every night) and a firepit area. Those will be on either side of the gazebo. Otherwise there will be some sort of stone and mulch in the fenced areas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-193808_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20190808-193808_Hancom Office Editor.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 38
13 to 17 ft wide will be very good. Even the dip down to 11 would fit a larger table or leave plenty of room to walk past people sitting in chairs.

Morning all. I did a test this morning and it made me frustrated. Mainly because I want to get my water to tfp clear but can't because I am at the mercy of the pb and am unsure of what I need to add. What can I do to get on my way? Just wait? Not sure if they are going to add more salt. I have 2 bags left at the house. I don't want to overdo anything and cause problems when they add whatever they're going to. I know I need to bring my chlorine up and I need cya but am I able to do anything yet? Can I still add bleach? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190809-091023.jpg
    Screenshot_20190809-091023.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 28
It is not far off. I would add FC to keep it from turning green. ARE they going to come and add anything else? You could add enough CYA to bring it up 20 as that is a safe low number that will be better than nothing for right now. My bet is IF they do add anything for it they will throw some pucks in the skimmer. Pucks and Tablets add CYA SLOWLY so no biggie there.

Maybe I am missing something but you have a vinyl pool. You don't have the warranty issues of a plaster pool needing to follow PBs instructions. It’s your pool. Add CYA and add FC. Salt at 3600 is fine. pH, TA, CH is all good.

Frankly, tell the PB thank you and you got the chemicals. Your knowledge in pool care is already ahead of the PBs. We have your back.

Reactions: KaiBee and Newdude
Why is this happening? Should I be concerned? It's been like this since yesterday.
Can I put cya (socks) in both skimmers? Or should I splurge and get liquid to get it in quicker? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190810_150208.jpg
    20190810_150208.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190810_150220.jpg
    20190810_150220.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 51

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.