New pool in Jersey...they're here!

Today's progress. They showed up this morning for an hour then it started down pouring for 45 minutes so they had to stop. They came back2 hours after it stopped and worked until 5ish. Mud everywhere and standing water has been pooling for 3 or 4 days. It's really gross and starting to smell! Is this normal? I know its been extremely rainy but I've never had pools of water like this before in my backyard. Will this be an issue going forward?

How is my pad looking so far? I thought it would be a little bigger. Everything seems squished. Should I be concerned about the heater being where it is with the kids being able to just walk up to it?

Thank you in advance and sorry for so many questions. 107686

Don't even look at the yard yet! This is the "sloppy copy" phase so you cannot judge it yet. It is when they get to the finished product that we will start looking and questioning. It is VERY normal for it to be a mess and it might even get worse :shock: before it is done!

Equipment....Make sure they put in unions between each piece of equipment so you can work on or replace each piece. So long as you can open and work on everything it is all good.

Heat+kids+ all of the equipment=think about putting a small, pretty fence up around it. This will help keep kids and critters away from it all. Just make sure you can walk around it.

Kim:kim:

That pad is a bit tight. I would tell them to put another slab down and give more space between equipment to move around. When you want to access a piece of equipment for maintenance you will appreciate it.

The exhaust from the MasterTemp heater is hot and loud. The house is to the left where the exhaust is aimed. I don't know what is to the right. I would consider switching the heater and pump with the heater on the right. The top panel with the controls can be rotated so the pipes are on the left and the control panel in the front. That positions the heater exhaust away from the house.

That pad is a bit tight. I would tell them to put another slab down and give more space between equipment to move around. When you want to access a piece of equipment for maintenance you will appreciate it.

The exhaust from the MasterTemp heater is hot and loud. The house is to the left where the exhaust is aimed. I don't know what is to the right. I would consider switching the heater and pump with the heater on the right. The top panel with the controls can be rotated so the pipes are on the left and the control panel in the front. That positions the heater exhaust away from the house.
Thank you. To the right is a chain link fence and trees. Would that be a problem?

Thank you. To the right is a chain link fence and trees. Would that be a problem?

That would be fine. You just need 6 inches of clearance from the exhaust to the trees. The exhaust may affect some of the leaves right above it.

Place the equipment in such a way that you can add another shed to enclose the equipment...
Can I enclose the equipment in one of those plastic sheds or should I stick to a wood one? And I'm assuming that means it's ok to put the heater in it? I'm going to have them rearrange everything and add an extra concrete slab for space. But I was thinking of at least putting a decorative fence around it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can I enclose the equipment in one of those plastic sheds or should I stick to a wood one? And I'm assuming that means it's ok to put the heater in it? I'm going to have them rearrange everything and add an extra concrete slab for space. But I was thinking of at least putting a decorative fence around it.

You can’t put a heater in a plastic shed. And if you do you then have a bunch of ventilation requirements. As well as access and drainage.

Put a fence or shrubbery around it after everything is complete.

Yesterday's progress....The housing for the deep end light was added, returns and skimmers were put in. I still don't have my second light for pool yet but at least the workers know about it. A hole has been cut for the sundeck light. Plus some of the PVC was attached. They did a lot of measuring and re- measuring...the width and length. And they were making sure everything was level. At least it's finally moving along. 108197108198108199108200

Reactions: lazygirl1978
All good things with the measuring and remeasuring!

Glad they know about the light!!

Yes the water running off the slide will push the pH up as will any splashing like kids playing and cannon balls! It is so worth it for the fun it is!!!!

They worked from 8 to 12 today. Plumbing is done (I guess). Pb said he was going to call for inspection. I dont know how long that usually takes but hopefully by the end of the week. I asked him about the line for my slide and he said that it was there just not connected yet. I do see a line but it doesn't go where I want the slide to be so not sure if that's it. When I told him to add another concrete slab under equipment, he said that it was plenty of space to work around since it wasnt up against anything. And when I asked about putting the heater on the other side he said they were made to be installed one way and that the outside didnt get too hot. Again I asked about my second pool light and as usual he had a smart aleck type of reply. Luckily I am home most days so I know when they are working and won't let them get to the point of no return if he forgets. I have def had a few (kindly said) choice words with him, especially when he told me that he's put in hundreds of pools (or was it thousands? ) and he knew what he was doing. 108279
But how does everything look so far?
20190625_153757-jpg.108281

Attachments

• 20190625_154307.jpg
    20190625_154307.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190625_153757.jpg
    20190625_153757.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 20190625_152645.jpg
    20190625_152645.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 8
And when I asked about putting the heater on the other side he said they were made to be installed one way and that the outside didnt get too hot.

That is total BS. See page 28 of http://www.pentairpoolme.com/uploads/document/file/554/Manual_MasterTemp.pdf where it shows Control Panel Indexing so the heater can be installed in different positions.

The issue is not the outside getting hot. The issue is the hot exhaust gas the side of the heater will be venting towards the house.

Inspector came Friday morning. It failed. Can't remember exactly why, it's still on the little sticky note outside. What chemicals should I start with for my pool? Or better yet, what should I be trying to keep my pb from putting in it? Can't wait for that conversation! We are in our 4th week since dig. Trying to be patient but it's really hard. You'd think that they would work on Saturdays being so far behind!
Oh, I will be buying the things Kim suggested this week.

I am going to share a set of links that in a round about way will help with the question above:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now here are your must haves:
-CYA-aka stabilizer-this can be found at Walmart, Target, Lowes, etc. Use pool Math (in link above) to know how much you need to buy. You want to target 30 to start with.
-chlorine-find your best source for this. Some pool stores sell it. All you have to do is put a deposit down on the jugs. Most of the time it is 11%. If your pool store does not sell it then the next best is Walmarts "shock". It is liquid chlorine at 10% BUT watch the date code. You do not want it to be older than 3 months. If you cannot find that then PLAIN bleach is the next best. It should be about 6%. If there is no % on it do NOT buy it as it is not worth your time. Again check the date code. Don't get any of the pretty smells or splashless or chlormax as all of those have additives you do not want in your pool.
-We covered muriatic acid before

Happy shopping!

If your pool builder wants to use tablets don't fight him on it. Just go out there and take it out and let it dry out. They are good for weekend get aways and such.

Cement truck is here to put in the concrete collar. Pb is cutting out hole for my second light, finally. I guess so they don't go above cutout with cement. We went to the beach this morning so I left them a little note reminding them to plumb for the slide. I also spray painted it on the dirt in the area I wanted it to go. ? They haven't been here since last Tuesday and then (failed) inspection was Friday. Pb didn't even know it was failed until I showed him on Monday! So I'm just happy that something is being done right now.109459
View from my balcony 109460
My writing in the dirt20190703_132935.jpg20190703_124530.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.