New pool build, trying to save a few $

yubbie2

Bronze Supporter
Apr 1, 2017
Houston, TX
Howdy y’all. From my post history you’ll see that I currently have a 1974 plaster pool with a variety of weird issues over the years. Well the spouse and I have decided to go the full Monty and rip it out and build a killer pool that we can use year round.

So in the interest of saving a few $ in an otherwise nauseating $ proposal, I offered to see if I can get my equipment myself (Doheny, Marina, etc) and have him install it. There will be no automation, so cross pollinating brands isn’t a big deal. The big items I’ll need:

3HP VS pump
520 sq ft cartridge filter
400k BTU heater
SWG (already have this)

Right now I’m looking at cartridge filters. Can someone explain why the $950 Doheny brand is any different than the $1450 Pentair or $1600 Hayward? Square footage is square footage, right? There aren’t even any moving parts on them.

For something like the VS pump I’m ok going with a bigger brand as it’ll be on 24/7 until the day it dies, and I’ll want to be able to easily get replacement parts down the road.

For the heater, ugh. I don’t know. I just know it’s going to be a money pit. Or I guess technically a money fire pit. :)

Thoughts?

Yubbie...I'm sorry no one has responded earlier. Here's how I see it-

A Pentair 3hp VS pump can offer you a bit of "automation" contained in the pump. You can set it to run certain speed at x time then switch to another speed at y time. Am I right, @Jimrahbe ? Jim can you suggest a good model?

I believe a cartridge filter is pretty much a no brainer- and easily compared online. Filter size, how many? stuff liie that.

Make sure your SWG is sized right- at least 2X pool volume.

Sorrry I know bupkis about heaters.

Maddie :flower:

Y,

From the filter point of view the cartridges are the only real part that does any work. So, other than personal preference, I doubt it matters much what cartridge filter you buy. You need to buy the biggest filter you can afford.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I always look at pool equipment from the aspect of what will it cost to repair, as I am in the repair business and everything breaks. RayPak heaters (also marketed as RUUD) are very good and seem to last as long as any with proper care (water chemistry, cool downs, etc.). The good thing about them is they have no "moving" parts unlike virtually all others with blowers and various internal switches that operate on air flow. Without blowers, they are also quieter than others. They use "standard" gas valves that are easy to source if they fail. Pentair/StaRite, Jandy, Hayward all use proprietary valves. What this boils down to is that the cost of repairs is usually less than other brands. Be aware that the standard RayPak heater is not considered "lo nox" and that may be required in your locale. All the blowers, air switches, etc. are actually "smog controls."

Thanks for the insightful replies everyone. After much debate and thought I realized that if I’m paying out the nose for a new pool/backyard/everything, an extra thousand or two to make the entire situation 100% turnkey and let someone else handle warranty claims is well worth it. After warranty runs out, I’m sufficiently handy that I could probably diy most minor/moderate repairs that may come up.

We found a way to reuse my existing 1.25hp single speed pump for a water feature, which avoids a $1800 VS pump for a few more years until this one kicks the bucket. We’re trimming back on some concrete too which helps some drainage issues and reduces overall cost.

Digging starts Wednesday!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.