New Pump Needed - Over Worrying Paralysis Commence!

l1ltaral1l

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2019
Walnutport, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Sooooo. After a summer of (what we thought was) a capacitor issue, the electrician thinks it might be a pump issue. The capacitor looks fine visibly (we’ve had one ‘blow’ before and it’s obvious). I’m beginning to search/research new pumps. We have a Hayward SS right now, and know I’ll be going with a VS next. But where to even start? Reputable sellers? Good brands? Pumps without a capacitor? Is that even a thing? How do I know a new pump will fit? Modifications are scary 🤣I hate having my guard up, but I really don’t trust the guidance of the local pool professionals we have locally.

I also know we are going to build a little shade roof over our pump, as it is in full sun ALL DAY.

Sigh. The giant water hole money pit continues 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_6010.jpeg
    IMG_6010.jpeg
    539.1 KB · Views: 9
  1. To help you out the best we can...please post a few pictures of your pad so we can get a sense of your overall equipment and layout.
  2. Do you have any automation? (doesn't seem so from your signature).
  3. Do you know if you have 115v or 230v service to your pump?

Last edited:
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Thank you! These are the ones I have from when we installed the heater. I’ll get some fresh ones in a bit!

No automation.

We have 230v.

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6030.jpeg
    IMG_6030.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6029.jpeg
    IMG_6029.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 9
Here are the dimensions for your pump.

1693936954138.png
Here are the dimensions for the Hayward Superpump VSP sp2603vsp.

1693937017630.png

This would get you the same dimension on your input and would only have to rebuild from the pump to the MPV.

• Love
Reactions: l1ltaral1l
Thank you! These are the ones I have from when we installed the heater. I’ll get some fresh ones in a bit!

No automation.

We have 230v.
If you are happy with the performance of your Super Pump 700, you can get another. Since you have a union and a mission clamp, the install would be very easy.
If you want to just replace the motor, a Nidec Neptune NPTT165 with a Go Kit 3 (seal, gasket and O rings) would do the job for a bit less:

Reactions: PoolStored
Thank you both!

I guess I’m not happy with it, since it’s only been 4 years since our pool was built, but maybe I’m not having realistic expectations on longevity.

but maybe I’m not having realistic expectations on longevity
Oh no. That's not on you. ESPECIALLY because your pump was pre Covid. There were always isolated failures with anything, but it's almost more surprising when something *lasts* now.

Dodge just got kudos for having the fewest problems requiring a dealer in the first year. It was over 1 event per vehicle. (116 (?) troubles per 100 vehicles). Several manufactures had 200+ troubles per 100 vehicles. Quality control is no longer ger a thing. But this pump was before all that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s so true! Ugh. I’m just hoping it makes it tomorrow and Thursday to get through this wacky heat wave we’re having! Lol. Because the dogs pretty much live in it this week 🥵

IMG_5570.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.