New pool and pool start up company set these times - too high RPMs?

EndlessSummerAZ

May 18, 2023
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We built a new pool and just had the orientation today. The pool company that was sent out to do that set up our pump. We’ve got a Hayward VS 950 for an 11,475 gallon pool with pebble finish. We also have 3 2ft sheer descent features and run the aquanaut 200 cleaner we were set up with for now. Run times seem high for a VS pump - is this normal for the start up month? Should I adjust down or change run time?

Timer 1: 2700 rpm 9pm to 2am daily
Timer 2: 1400 rpm 2am to 9am daily

Next day edit:

I’ve updated my run times but if I’m calculating correctly it’s about $100/month in electricity if I keep it like this. $0.13/kWh no time of use plan.

Timer 1 - 2700rpm pump shows 1207 watts 7am to 9am

Timer 2 - 1200rpm pump shows 143 watts 9am to 3pm

Timer 3 - 2700rpm 3pm to 5pm

Timer 4 - 1200rpm 5pm to 7am

Last edited:
We built a new pool and just had the orientation today. The pool company that was sent out to do that set up our pump. We’ve got a Hayward VS 950 for an 11,475 gallon pool with pebble finish. We also have 3 2ft sheer descent features and run the aquanaut 200 cleaner we were set up with for now. Run times seem high for a VS pump - is this normal for the start up month? Should I adjust down or change run time?

Timer 1: 2700 rpm 9pm to 2am daily
Timer 2: 1400 rpm 2am to 9am daily
Do you have an SWG? Do the sheers run all the time? Running 24/7 is not that unusual, but at those higher speeds seems excessive.

Do you have an SWG? Do the sheers run all the time? Running 24/7 is not that unusual, but at those higher speeds seems excessive.

No SWG. The sheers we only turn on for fun, they’re not programmed or anything. Pool was just completed this week so didn’t know if higher speeds are required due to excessive pebble dust. The higher speed seemed high to me also which prompted this question - not to mention it’s louder at these higher speeds too.

"Timer 1: 2700 rpm 9pm to 2am daily
Timer 2: 1400 rpm 2am to 9am daily"
Are you on time of day electric?

How are you chlorinating the pool?

Do you have a dedicated suction cleaner port oris the cleaner attached to the skimmer?

The Aquanaut 200 is a suction side pool cleaner. It needs a higher RPM to clean.
2700-2900 RPM should be sufficient. A lesser runtime may be appropriate. Suggest you start with 3 hours (instead of 5 hours) and see if that sufficiently cleans the pool. Adjust time at that RPM up/down as needed (on a normal day - not a monsoon day) to suit your needs. The start time can be whenever you want. Personally, I prefer cleaning when the sun is out. This way, I can monitor the cleaning and possibly see if the cleaner gets clogged up with debris (like after the monsoon wind storm we had last night).

The rest of the runtime should be for a purpose. Maybe that purpose is for skiming the pool surface. Maybe it's for producing chlorine (if you were using a SWCG). only you can determine the properspeed for skimming. 1400 RPM is probably a good starting point. The actual runtime can be adjusted to whatever your pool needs.

As a starting point, I'd suggest a skimming time during daylight hours atthe lower RPM. set the start time for maybe an hour or so bedore the pool is actually used. That way, it's skimmed when you're ready to jump in.

Some of us prefer to run our pumps 24/7. I do this so my SWCG is making a little chlorine all day and night. I run my pump at 1200 RPM for 20 hours per day. The other 4 hours is split into two 2 hour increments (morning and late afternoon) at 2900 RPM so my IFCS can clean the pool. It costs my less than $20 per month to run the pump and SWCG.

No SWG. The sheers we only turn on for fun, they’re not programmed or anything. Pool was just completed this week so didn’t know if higher speeds are required due to excessive pebble dust. The higher speed seemed high to me also which prompted this question - not to mention it’s louder at these higher speeds too.
If someone is doing a start-up procedure and set the pump for that, best to leave it until the start-up is complete. Then adjust as you want. The whole purpose of a larger VSP like yours is to run at a speed needed to skim and run the suction cleaner as needed. Then, slow it way down to keep the pool chemicals circulated, the water "polished," and energy costs low.

"Timer 1: 2700 rpm 9pm to 2am daily
Timer 2: 1400 rpm 2am to 9am daily"
Are you on time of day electric?

How are you chlorinating the pool?

Do you have a dedicated suction cleaner port oris the cleaner attached to the skimmer?

The Aquanaut 200 is a suction side pool cleaner. It needs a higher RPM to clean.
2700-2900 RPM should be sufficient. A lesser runtime may be appropriate. Suggest you start with 3 hours (instead of 5 hours) and see if that sufficiently cleans the pool. Adjust time at that RPM up/down as needed (on a normal day - not a monsoon day) to suit your needs. The start time can be whenever you want. Personally, I prefer cleaning when the sun is out. This way, I can monitor the cleaning and possibly see if the cleaner gets clogged up with debris (like after the monsoon wind storm we had last night).

The rest of the runtime should be for a purpose. Maybe that purpose is for skiming the pool surface. Maybe it's for producing chlorine (if you were using a SWCG). only you can determine the properspeed for skimming. 1400 RPM is probably a good starting point. The actual runtime can be adjusted to whatever your pool needs.

As a starting point, I'd suggest a skimming time during daylight hours atthe lower RPM. set the start time for maybe an hour or so bedore the pool is actually used. That way, it's skimmed when you're ready to jump in.

Some of us prefer to run our pumps 24/7. I do this so my SWCG is making a little chlorine all day and night. I run my pump at 1200 RPM for 20 hours per day. The other 4 hours is split into two 2 hour increments (morning and late afternoon) at 2900 RPM so my IFCS can clean the pool. It costs my less than $20 per month to run the pump and SWCG.

Thanks for all of this. We just left the pool equipment set up like the start up crew left it. I don’t know why they’re leaving it off 12 hours but it seems odd to me. We are not on time of day. Just the APS standard rate but I of course would like to keep my bill down. My plan is to use liquid chlorine once we have CYA established but for now it’s pucks. The aquanaut does have a dedicated port. Our pool is so tiny I just don’t think it’ll take all 5 hours to clean. I’ll try dropping down the rpm. We do plan on getting a Betta and a better vacuum down the road so hopefully that helps keep the pool even cleaner and we can lower speed.

If someone is doing a start-up procedure and set the pump for that, best to leave it until the start-up is complete. Then adjust as you want. The whole purpose of a larger VSP like yours is to run at a speed needed to skim and run the suction cleaner as needed. Then, slow it way down to keep the pool chemicals circulated, the water "polished," and energy costs low.
I just find it odd they don’t have anything programmed to run from 9am to 9pm. Maybe I’ll leave it for the month and then change like you mention. We’ll see what that first electric bill looks like.

I just find it odd they don’t have anything programmed to run from 9am to 9pm. Maybe I’ll leave it for the month and then change like you mention. We’ll see what that first electric bill looks like.
Maybe the startup guy THOUGHT he set it to run 24 hours per day - and didn't double check the am/pm setting.

Call your builder and ask if they want it running 12 hours daily or 24 hours daily. Be sure to provide them with the exact schedule that is set.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimrahbe and Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.