Not sure how far along you are, but I was advised by my PB against the autofill, and to go with the hose bib. His reasoning was, if you have a leak, it can be really hard to detect if your pool is autofilling. You can probably detect or notice something wrong, if you are having to fill the pool yourself through a hose bib etc. I agreed, and as others have said, it is easy enough to set a timer. Good luck man.

Reactions: 4ST
I know one thing I would be beating them down on price if you haven’t allready done so. I know some builders and they say they are dead in the water down here in Houston. Nobody is building pools now. Should be able to get the deal of a lifetime right now!

Really? I'm contacting builders and subs all over Houston and every one is flat out. Some have stopped quoting because they're so busy and behind. If you have suggested builders, drop me a PM.

Reactions: Locotl and 4ST
Not sure how far along you are, but I was advised by my PB against the autofill, and to go with the hose bib. His reasoning was, if you have a leak, it can be really hard to detect if your pool is autofilling. You can probably detect or notice something wrong, if you are having to fill the pool yourself through a hose bib etc. I agreed, and as others have said, it is easy enough to set a timer. Good luck man.
I love my auto fill especially if I am on vacation for a couple of weeks. If there was a leak I would probably notice it on my water bill.

My PB also talked me out of an autofill for that specific reason. I decided to not get one due to his recommendation.

Our pool is scheduled for layout and dig in the next week (Yay!) I have read on here that we should double check the measurements to include gunite and plaster and the depth only to halfway up the skimmer. How much should we be adding to account for gunite and plaster? How far from the top should we expect the skimmer to be placed and measure to?

If you are measuring at dirt dig you will add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. They may (really should) "dig" out the area for the skimmer before they leave. I would measure half way up the "dig out" spot.

If you are measuring at dirt dig you will add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. They may (really should) "dig" out the area for the skimmer before they leave. I would measure half way up the "dig out" spot.
Do you add 8" per side or just 8" total? So if it is supposed to be 10 feet across, should the hole be 10'8" or 11'4"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest Update: Our pool has been laid out in the yard for dig day (7/10 or 7/11) and it seems smaller than we imagined. We have the option to add 2 -3 additional feet to the length for ~$2000 and we think we are leaning towards adding it but it just seems like so much money for so little. Any advice or input on adding it or not? It's one of those now or never decisions and I don't want to regret NOT doing it. Does it usually seem smaller at layout than it will actually be?

Latest Update: Our pool has been laid out in the yard for dig day (7/10 or 7/11) and it seems smaller than we imagined. We have the option to add 2 -3 additional feet to the length for ~$2000 and we think we are leaning towards adding it but it just seems like so much money for so little. Any advice or input on adding it or not? It's one of those now or never decisions and I don't want to regret NOT doing it. Does it usually seem smaller at layout than it will actually be?
I think its normal for it to look smaller before its actually dug, at least it was for us. I would do it and did do it on mine. I'd rather pay the 2k now then regret it for the life of your pool ownership.

Last edited:
2 ft to me won’t make a big difference to the length but 2ft to the width will be fairly significant. So my 2 cents 2ft in width is worth 2k but 2 ft in length isn’t.

Length is left to right.

We added the same amount of size after the outline was drawn in our yard as well. Ours was 6k to extend since it also expanded the decking a hundred sqft. A friend of mine doing a geometric added 3ft in length AND width and paid 9k for the combined additions. We’re telling our friends getting bids to ask for more pool than they think they want in the initial estimate phase! Seems like adding it on after adds a lot more. But I am glad we did it - it looks much more proportionate than the smaller dimensions I think.

Thank you!!! And yes, from stalking this site I knew I would want to pick the tiles that are used and the builder said she usually suggests that as well so we are on the same page about that thankfully! I’m a little nervous about the waterline tile looking faded or washed out instead of subtle like I’m going for but I like the way it transitions the plaster to the coping so we shall see 😬.
We have very similar (Keystone branded) water line tile in our pool which is now filling as well speak. It is a gorgeous tile when installed. Changes color as sun hits it differently.

tile2.jpgtile3.jpgtile1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.