New member during pandemic

rsmith4604

Aug 28, 2020
Palm Coast, Florida
Our pool has retained our sanity during these difficult times. My wife and I decided last fall of 2019 to not go through another Buffalo, NY winter and started shopping for a home in Florida. A fellow car enthusiast friend on FaceBook, who happens to be a realtor, steered me towards his neighborhood and his wife helped us find a house. We moved into our 2003 vintage pool home in December 2019. The pool had been added in 2007 and at some point was screened in. It's a Gunite 12,000 gallon pool. I, immediately, switched it from chlorine to salt water and probably a month later the pump motor seized. I was going to Leslie's Pool Supply near by. They're who I had install the Salt Cell. So, I ended up buying a Jacuzzi variable speed pump and filter. Already in place is a solar heater, which is nice. We're enjoying the relief on our arthritic bodies and exercise we get from the pool. I found this forum website while questioning the need for this expensive "Perfect Weekly" they're pushing on me at Leslie's. It seems that a majority of this site's members don't believe it's necessary and believe one can do better economically by purchasing $200 in self-testing equipment and supplies and maintaining your pool by yourself. I'm not sure what route to take. I'm 72 yrs. old and assigning more and more chores to others. I'm glad I found your forum and wish you all the best with your pools and life. Ron Smith surviving in Palm Coast, Floridalogo.jpg

Hello Ron! WELCOME TO TFP!

No, the test kit we prefer is only $70, and will serve you well. I spend no more than $150 a year on pool care (which includes test kit refills) and have never had algae. My pool sparkles because I know what goes in there is only what it needs- NOT what the pool store wants to sell me.

Look around the forums, ask questions. You are very welcome here.

Maddie