New House...First Pool = LOT’S of Questions!

Alright!!!! Pool definitely doesn’t have that potent chlorine smell until you’re right up on it so that’s good!

Just tested FC again about an hour after I tested the first time. It looks like I put about 2/3 of 1 gallon 12.5% and it raised FC to 16.5 for a gain of 5.5ppm from that ~80 ounces. Put that into the Pool Calc and it’s in between a 10 & 12.5%. I’ve only got a little bit left of the 12.5% before switching over to the fresh 10%

Reactions: splashpad
Backwashed, rinsed, brushed, skimmed, and added about 1/2 gallon of I’m guessing is ~6-8% of LC for the day since I won’t be able to get to it until 4:30 after work.
Is there anyone around that could add some between that time?

It's great, you are making amazing process! Shows your diligence! Definitely keep it up!
The first time you really see the water sparkle, you won't "believe" it!✨?

Reactions: BuckeyeMac
Is there anyone around that could add some between that time?

It's great, you are making amazing process! Shows your diligence! Definitely keep it up!
The first time you really see the water sparkle, you won't "believe" it!✨?

Unfortunately not, both myself and wife work full time during the day. However, this weekend I'll be able to meticulously watch over it.

When I get home this afternoon - I'm going to try hooking up the Pool Rover JR and see if that will help get the rest of the stuff off the bottom (if there is any). I have noticed I am not pulling a whole lot out of the pool anymore while skimming myself. I do see some fine debris/algae floating in the cloudy water though.

Last edited:
I was going to add some stain away to my pool, especially since I’ve got high iron and calcium in my fill up water (well). I did run it through the whole house filter I purchased just for my pool during full up (see previous pages with pictures).

Should I wait until after the SLAM is over to add this or do it during?

In the following article, towards the bottom, there is a discussion on sequestrants.

I was going to add some stain away to my pool, especially since I’ve got high iron and calcium in my fill up water (well). I did run it through the whole house filter I purchased just for my pool during full up (see previous pages with pictures).

Should I wait until after the SLAM is over to add this or do it during?
You can take a sample to the pool store for metal testing. Metal is either present or not.
Calcium you can test for yourself with your TF100 kit (the CH test). Calcium isn't "harmful" unless it's excessive. There is a way to knock excess out of solution (causes cloudiness that can't be cleared with high chlorine) and remove it from the pool water, but it's not an "official method".

Last edited:
OTO - 1-2
PH - 6.8
FC - 1-1.5
CC - 1.5
CH - 450
TA - 160

Ran the Pool Rover JR for the first time, and I got a bag full of leaves, pine needles, and algae. The bottom of the pool should be pretty much clean now. Will run the Rover again tomorrow. Brushing later after Trivia and Beers!

I can see the Skimmer at the bottom of the pool for the first time today! And I could faintly make out the blue/white Rover Jr moving around the pool floor!

Attachments

• D911C970-C905-4875-8E6F-1A753C20C440.jpeg
    D911C970-C905-4875-8E6F-1A753C20C440.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC - 11.5 (from what I added this morning. Lost about 4ppm during the day today)
CC - 1

Hard to tell but it’s a little more blue & more clear today than yesterday. Rover Jr ran for about 2 hours and didn’t pick much up but a little dead algae.

What make up should I booking for in stabilizer. I bought some from Menards

Attachments

• A692E393-1360-4C73-901F-825C7B0F234E.jpeg
    A692E393-1360-4C73-901F-825C7B0F234E.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
That is fine for CYA - the chemical ingredient it shows is the chemical acronym of CYA.

How much CYA are you planning to add? That bottle holds less than 2 lbs, right? All of it will increase your CYA by about 15 ppm.

That is fine for CYA - the chemical ingredient it shows is the chemical acronym of CYA.

How much CYA are you planning to add? That bottle holds less than 2 lbs, right? All of it will increase your CYA by about 15 ppm.
Darn, I didn’t do the math correct. I read the bottle as bigger and it would raise it 35ppm per 24oz (disregarding the gallons calc). Whoops. I guess then I can add the whole container no problem. I was going to shoot for 20 I think to start.

Reactions: kimkats
Should I be worried about my PH being 6.8 right now? I know that test may not be 100% because my FC is over 10. Should I wait to adjust?

At this point anything else I can do? The pool is still cloudy. I did have some clarifier sitting in the barn, added 16oz. It was stuff I had on hand already. I figured it can’t hurt?

Here’s my Skimmer above water and touching the bottom.

Attachments

• FA9CE040-C406-4F2C-851B-C8C997910E25.jpeg
    FA9CE040-C406-4F2C-851B-C8C997910E25.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 15
  • E7FB5911-AAFE-4EE0-9CFF-E91DC6D0D40D.jpeg
    E7FB5911-AAFE-4EE0-9CFF-E91DC6D0D40D.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Buck, I haven't been watching your thread lately and it's getting a bit long. So unless I'm missing something, your pH is a bit low at 6.8. Even with an elevated FC level over 10, that should make the pH seem high, not low. So I would feel more comfortable if your pH was at least 7.0-7.2. Rather than messing with chemicals, you can use aeration if you have a way to generate bubbling. It's a free way to increase pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.