New guy.

mlaplanet

Feb 23, 2024
Englewood, FL
Hi everyone! So, I am new to the group and relatively new to pool ownership. I am a mechanical engineer with an equipment development background, I currently design laser light sources for a company in VT but fortunately retiring in FL in just 1 week from today :). I have a built-in ~12500 gallon pool built around 1987 that we acquired last year along with our home. It is still in great shape but need some TLC. My first project was to replace the single speed pump and Solar water heater to something more modern. I elected to put in a Pentair IntelliFlo i2 (so it was compatible with my existing 20 Amp feed and 1.5" pool plumbing) and SolarTouch Solar controller. I also upgraded the pump area with new 2" piping and valves. I am going to move to a salt chlorination as soon as I re-set and grout my pool line tiles so not to destroy the concrete behind them. I try to keep my expenses down and love to do things myself. I am currently having issues with my SolarTouch and IntelliFlo not playing well together... I look forward to a lot of interesting reading on this forum.

Hey Mla and Welcome !!! Here's the skinny

Read up and ask away Pool Care Basics
Download PoolMath
Purchase Test Kits Compared
Follow FC/CYA Levels
Witness How Clear is TFP Clear?

am going to move to a salt chlorination as soon as I re-set and grout my pool line tiles so not to destroy the concrete behind them
That's hogwash. Bleach pools add a gallon of 'sodium hyperchlorite' frequently. Calcium is a salt, baking soda is a salt, muriatic acid breaks down into salt, and yeah. No liquid chlorine pools ever check their salinity. Ever. If they did, they'd find it half or even at 'salt pool' levels. The entire argument against salt pools is that going from 5% of seawater salinity to 10% is going to wreck stone or cement. It's just plain silly when you think it through.

Salt is in fact bad for concrete roads and sidewalks up north, but it's applied so thick it's crunchy to walk on. It's entirely a different animal than a pool.

Hi everyone! So, I am new to the group and relatively new to pool ownership. I am a mechanical engineer with an equipment development background, I currently design laser light sources for a company in VT but fortunately retiring in FL in just 1 week from today :). I have a built-in ~12500 gallon pool built around 1987 that we acquired last year along with our home. It is still in great shape but need some TLC. My first project was to replace the single speed pump and Solar water heater to something more modern. I elected to put in a Pentair IntelliFlo i2 (so it was compatible with my existing 20 Amp feed and 1.5" pool plumbing) and SolarTouch Solar controller. I also upgraded the pump area with new 2" piping and valves. I am going to move to a salt chlorination as soon as I re-set and grout my pool line tiles so not to destroy the concrete behind them. I try to keep my expenses down and love to do things myself. I am currently having issues with my SolarTouch and IntelliFlo not playing well together... I look forward to a lot of interesting reading on this forum.
ML,
Welcome to TFP! I'm right across the state from you on the Atlantic side... As you can imagine there are LOT's of us on here and you've come to the right place for DIY ideas and support. May I suggest some you read through Pool School and if you decide to use TFP methods you'll need a test kit asap. We don't sell anything here so the advice we give is never conflicted. This might help you figure out which one to buy:
Test Kits Compared
If you don't mind filling out a signature that gives all your pool info below the post so experts can avoid cycling to get you answers. Gets you answers quicker and helps our experts be efficient with their100% volunteer time. Its simple to do, here's how.

It's always great to have another engineer here. Please feel free to ask any pool question you have.

Chris

Thanks Newdude for the insight. I'm still going to fix the loose tiles since many are ready to fall out, so are in need of some TLC. I'll give me something to do! M
Hey Mla and Welcome !!! Here's the skinny

Read up and ask away Pool Care Basics
Download PoolMath
Purchase Test Kits Compared
Follow FC/CYA Levels
Witness How Clear is TFP Clear?

That's hogwash. Bleach pools add a gallon of 'sodium hyperchlorite' frequently. Calcium is a salt, baking soda is a salt, muriatic acid breaks down into salt, and yeah. No liquid chlorine pools ever check their salinity. Ever. If they did, they'd find it half or even at 'salt pool' levels. The entire argument against salt pools is that going from 5% of seawater salinity to 10% is going to wreck stone or cement. It's just plain silly when you think it through.

Salt is in fact bad for concrete roads and sidewalks up north, but it's applied so thick it's crunchy to walk on. It's entirely a different animal than a pool.

Reactions: Newdude