New guy needs help

Well my PB’s chemical guy saw my truck home today and stopped by, first time I met him. He made a call and will install automation and do pool school Friday. PB thought it was already done.

Take notes and tell us what the chemical guy says. The TFPC methods often differ from pool “professionals “.

Pool school yesterday here is the teachers recommendations
FC 1-5
PH 7.2-7.6
TA 80-120
CH 200-400
CYA 30-50
Salt 3200

After he did his deal I showed him the PoolMath app with all my data. We played around with it for a bit and he wrote down the name. Asked if the app allowed him to email results out to customers.

With a cya of 30 at the lowest ur fc needs to be at least 2 which is the absolute lowest before u might get into trouble.

If ur cya is any higher even worse keeping ur fc low.

Plus if running salt as u know they recommend here running the cya higher. I deff like to run it higher. The fc burns off way slower. I notice the burn off slowing greatly once u hit cya of 60 in the summer. I think 70 for me is a sweet spot for fc not biting off too quick in the heat when my salt is on.

I keep my ta on the lower end of the recommended.

I keep my ch at a level where my csi stays on the non scale negative side bit also which allows my ph to stay in thst 7.8 to 7.9 range cause I still get a quick ph rise still.

I pretty much base everything on my csi. It’s how my pool school coaches taught me. :)

Oh I’m running this forums recommendations when I get some stability of this new pool (and sunlight). Right now I’m just trying to get my bearings and not have an underwater garden when we hit 80.

Your CH is fine. Did you test your fill water for CH? Your CH will rise over time as your water accumulates it.

CYA test is not that precise. +/-10 is to be expected.

Test results will for CYA, CH, salt drift over time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your CH is fine. Did you test your fill water for CH? Your CH will rise over time as your water accumulates it.

CYA test is not that precise. +/-10 is to be expected.

Test results will for CYA, CH, salt drift over time.
Fill water is notoriously high in CH in this area. Think it was 275 out of the tap. Just don’t want my water eating my plaster ( in my mind the plaster is still fresh and softer)

Fill water is notoriously high in CH in this area. Think it was 275 out of the tap. Just don’t want my water eating my plaster ( in my mind the plaster is still fresh and softer)

Water eating your plaster is a long term multi year issue. You are good at that CH & CSI for now.

CYA testing-a test I did not like BUT have found a way that works for me. Here we go:

-remember you can do and re-do the test just by pouring the solution back and forth to get an average
-GLANCE for the dot only. Do NOT look for it. Just glance in and then look away.
-Pour to the first line (100) glance in. If you see the dot pour to the next line, GLANCE in, keep going until you don't see the dot when you GLANCE in. Call it at that number.

Rain and adding water will dilute your CYA and salt. In FL I almost always have to add some CYA in the Spring and again during the summer if we have a lot of rain. I just get the kind I can find at Lowes or Home Depot.

I hope this helps! :hug:

Kim:kim:

CYA testing-a test I did not like BUT have found a way that works for me. Here we go:

-remember you can do and re-do the test just by pouring the solution back and forth to get an average
-GLANCE for the dot only. Do NOT look for it. Just glance in and then look away.
-Pour to the first line (100) glance in. If you see the dot pour to the next line, GLANCE in, keep going until you don't see the dot when you GLANCE in. Call it at that number.

Rain and adding water will dilute your CYA and salt. In FL I almost always have to add some CYA in the Spring and again during the summer if we have a lot of rain. I just get the kind I can find at Lowes or Home Depot.

I hope this helps! :hug:

Everything helps when your green, I’m soaking it up, if I remember it is another story.

Well the last 2 day were the first time the water got to a temp for the SWG to produce. 80% for 9hrs at 1750rpm. Water looks great. Should I drop that PH and tone back the SWG? Not going to be a sunny week ahead.
9D4A32E7-60F2-46F6-9B47-4EC18573C928.png

Based on your data you are adding 3.9 ppm of FC per day with your SWCG settings. That is very high for this time of year. I would reduce it to add ~1 ppm FC per day. If that does not keep up I would suggest an OCLT as you should not have that high of FC consumption in early March.

Add muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.8

Thank you for the help. I’m going to drop the % and leave the run time. Reasoning be fresh stain on the patio cover and rain in the forecast. Taking baby steps. (And to think I sold a boat for a pool, boats were simple compared to learning this)
258B489D-A38D-4839-A64D-53C5ECBDEE41.png

Last edited:
Think I’m getting the hang of it. I did learn you can not talk TFP water chemistry with anyone outside this group. These local pool companies have people scared to death and pay $150-$200 a month for service that’s not even good. Had an acquaintance come by and comment on how clean a new pool water looks. (He pays for a service and stays cloudy). Didn’t have the heart to tell him my pool is going to look like this even in the middle of summer. (I did dial the SWG back to 6 hrs at 30% to get the FC in check)AA8A69C7-5E89-4722-AD4E-A839B8CC087D.png

If/when you do talk to them about how you are able to keep your pool that clean and clear do NOT way the word bleach. ONLY call it chlorine :roll: That helps a little bit in getting them to accept this way of pool care. I have heard so many reasons why they can't/won't even try it. I answer questions when they are asked only now. If I meet someone with a pool I will gently ask how they care for it. So far I have not been able to talk anyone into using TFP for caring for their pool. No matter how much they cry and complain about how much work, money, effort it is to take care of their pool they still do not believe it really can be this easy.

I will keep the door open for when their pool turns to a swamp and they come to me to ask for help. It might take a couple of years for the CYA to build up but we all know it will end up happening. I will tell you their pools are NOT ones I will swim in as some of them you cannot see the bottom :shock: and they think nothing of letting their kids swim in it!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.