New contract / New build - SE Pennsylvania, Gunite free form pool and spa

I don't think it's overkill to test twice a day for new plaster. It was somewhat tedious for me to keep pH in line at the beginning, but the real issue was FC. I found that once FC got out of line, it was hard to get back in line and keep it that way. In fact I am still having trouble keeping FC in mine on the second season, but I pulled a TON of tree garbage out of the deep end skimmer yesterday so I think that's the culprit.

Another issue I am finding is that it's not that easy to find 10% liquid chlorine not only in stock, but still fresh! Hopefully it's easier in your area but I wouldn't hesitate to buy like three times as much as you think you'll need because you never know if it'll be there next time you do!

I think I'm going to find the same with FC although it's only been a few days so far since we were just allowed to start adding chlorine on Sunday. Luckily both Lowes and WalMart carry the 10% stuff here. I just picked up 9 gallons from Lowes yesterday with "born on" dates of late March 2019. Probably the best I will find anytime soon. :) That may not last too long, but I also have the pucks to supplement per the PB's recommendation. Just a little less CYA I'll have to add later on haha.

No doubt. My local Walmart had a whole pallet the first time I went in and I thought, awesome! I go back a couple days later and ZERO! That left me scrambling for another source and a couple of times I had to substitute some shock and play around with Pool Math!

I think you are doing great. I was testing 2-3 times a day forcthe first month. 2 times a day for first season and most of my last season. Now once a day. But I added acid 2xday for first month and was adding acid 1xday up to the end of last season. My ph was still not totally settled down yet and plus the salt generator added to that rise.

I think you are doing great. I was testing 2-3 times a day forcthe first month. 2 times a day for first season and most of my last season. Now once a day. But I added acid 2xday for first month and was adding acid 1xday up to the end of last season. My ph was still not totally settled down yet and plus the salt generator added to that rise.

Another day, more brushing :)

Thanks Jim! I think I'll stick with the 2x a day testing for now and add smaller amounts as I need to. That's crazy you were still adding acid every day until the day you closed! I'd hope by the time we close in ~October things will have settled down. Last night was actually the first time I didn't need to add acid as it was still sitting at 7.0-7.2-ish. I was slightly excited about that, it's the small things lol. That's exactly where A&S recommends keeping new Quartz.

This morning after testing I added a little acid and another gallon of liquid chlorine as it (FC) was almost all depleted. I also have some CYA and Calcium on the way but will wait to add until day 14 per the PB's recommendation.

Will also order my robot (yes!!) next Wednesday as the Maytronics promotion/rebates start on May 1st. FYI for those interested in ordering this year. :) At this point I'm planning to go with the M400. I'd been considering the S300i as well but after talking with Margaret @ Marina she mentioned the M400 may work a little better for our pool.

Last edited:
oh my gosh, so much going on I can't keep up! Everything looks great!! We were going to open ours last weekend but ended up bumping to this weekend. I'm a little scared of the process and what I'm going to find.

I was super glad to see in your thread about the ET and variable pump speed. When we got everything going in August last year the PB did set up a basic schedule but I was always like 'I thought the whole point of VS pumps was that we could set different speeds for different times'. But I never did get an answer from the PB on that. I think it was Jim R. that responded to your thread about how to do that and now I'm going to try to set mine, so thanks for that both of you!

p.s.
I finally got some plants in my waterfall beds...when I was doing it I noticed a tiny pair of eyes staring at me from the crevice in the rocks. Upon [careful] further inspection it was of the slithering variety. It looked like a rattlesnake so it must have been a baby rat snake (it was very tiny). I guess our waterfalls are probably pretty cozy places for those critters to hang out. I checked back a couple hours later and he had moved on. I'm hopeful that once the waterfall is turned on and people are around that they will find a different place to chill, lol.

oh my gosh, so much going on I can't keep up! Everything looks great!! We were going to open ours last weekend but ended up bumping to this weekend. I'm a little scared of the process and what I'm going to find.

I was super glad to see in your thread about the ET and variable pump speed. When we got everything going in August last year the PB did set up a basic schedule but I was always like 'I thought the whole point of VS pumps was that we could set different speeds for different times'. But I never did get an answer from the PB on that. I think it was Jim R. that responded to your thread about how to do that and now I'm going to try to set mine, so thanks for that both of you!

p.s.
I finally got some plants in my waterfall beds...when I was doing it I noticed a tiny pair of eyes staring at me from the crevice in the rocks. Upon [careful] further inspection it was of the slithering variety. It looked like a rattlesnake so it must have been a baby rat snake (it was very tiny). I guess our waterfalls are probably pretty cozy places for those critters to hang out. I checked back a couple hours later and he had moved on. I'm hopeful that once the waterfall is turned on and people are around that they will find a different place to chill, lol.

Thank you! Glad you found the pump info as helpful as I did. I'm fairly comfortable with all the Easytouch setup now (and even wiring haha) thanks to all the help here. Since the PB sent a startup guy who wasn't familiar with Pentair I setup the pumps, lights, valves/actuators, spa settings, and schedule on my own. I'll need to do the heat and SWCG soon but don't anticipate too many issues there. :) For the record, I'm NOT a fan of snakes. LOL. Worst I've had so far was a fairly large spider that I quickly tossed off my arm when I reached into the skimmer. Yikes.

Chemistry looked decent this morning. PH in mid 7's and still had some FC in there. Added a little MA and Liquid chlorine to keep it going today. As I assumed it's really hard to keep FC in there during the day with 0 stabilizer. None of the pucks (I have 8 total in 2 different floaters in there) are dissolving much so I'd assuming CYA is still very close to zero. Can't wait until I can add my CYA next Friday! Will test TA and CH again on Saturday.

I haven't been in the pool yet, but my wife let the kids "put their feet in" on Tuesday which led to them ripping off their clothes and jumping into the sunshelf. They didn't mind 67 degree water at all, LOL.
Also for the record I'm really looking forward to firing up the spa/heater next Friday. The plaster dust is really cut down now so should definitely be little to none in a week from now with all this brushing and low PH. Going to be awesome.

Attachments

• 20190423_211623080_iOS.jpg
    20190423_211623080_iOS.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Oh yes, that is totally awesome seeing those kiddos in the water!! My son is chomping at the bit for us to open ours....and I keep explaining that he won't be able to go in right away as I need to balance the water first. Oh who am I kidding, I'll let him jump in as soon as I get the robot out of the water! :giggle:

p.s.
I might have to tap into some of your pentair expertise this weekend.

For the record, I'm NOT a fan of snakes. LOL. Worst I've had so far was a fairly large spider that I quickly tossed off my arm when I reached into the skimmer. Yikes.
Well I do hope that you got a couple of these then:

Amazon.com: FrogLog Animal Saving Escape Ramp for Pool: Toys & Games

I learned the hard way that I DEFINITELY needed these. I've had a plethora of critters meet their maker in my skimmer. Ugh, and yuck! I bought 2 by the way, one to go next to each skimmer.

Oh yes, that is totally awesome seeing those kiddos in the water!! My son is chomping at the bit for us to open ours....and I keep explaining that he won't be able to go in right away as I need to balance the water first. Oh who am I kidding, I'll let him jump in as soon as I get the robot out of the water! :giggle:

p.s.
I might have to tap into some of your pentair expertise this weekend.

No problem, shoot me a message or post on here.

Well I do hope that you got a couple of these then:
Amazon.com: FrogLog Animal Saving Escape Ramp for Pool: Toys & Games
I learned the hard way that I DEFINITELY needed these. I've had a plethora of critters meet their maker in my skimmer. Ugh, and yuck! I bought 2 by the way, one to go next to each skimmer.

Interesting, I will have a look. Thanks! I also have my skimmer angel I had included with my TFT TF-100 bundle that I will have to put in one of the skimmers this weekend. :)

Last edited:
My only problem with the skimmer angel is that they interfere with using hairnets on the skimmers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My only problem with the skimmer angel is that they interfere with using hairnets on the skimmers.

Good point. I bought the nets as well but haven't used them yet.

Hey at least they took their clothes off first!!! LOL
Kim:kim:

True, I should be grateful haha. Definitely a picture to keep for the years :cool:

The PB came back friday for our final inspection (we passed!) and to look at some of the punch list items. The first on the list was to glue in the fittings for the splashdown fountains. We were able to get 1 out of the 3 working (pic attached) which was cool but #2 was stuck and #3 was missing the insert fitting completely, ugh. Parts ordered, they will have to come back to address. A couple of my pentair lights are bleeding other colors when set to white which I see is common and should be a warranty issue.

Did my first backwash yesterday, was fairly easy but some small hiccups. Of course the PB hadn't glued the elbow on for the backwash pipe so that blew off and soaked me (ha!). Once the elbow was secured the junk blue hose with clamp they include ripped almost immediately, ha. I think I'll do some hard plumbing for that line shortly before the next backwash.

Some measurements from this morning - didn't add anything today yet:

FC - 3 (yay)
CC - 0
PH - 7.2-7.3
CH - 200
TA - 70

I'll take a CYA reading in a few days, I have a small amount of conditioner in socks attempting to dissolve in the pool along with the few pucks.

Took some pictures for familiy and friends as well while the sun was shining -

Attachments

• 20190425_224749000_iOS.jpg
    20190425_224749000_iOS.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190426_204330012_iOS.jpg
    20190426_204330012_iOS.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190427_142122930_iOS.jpg
    20190427_142122930_iOS.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190427_142222711_iOS.jpg
    20190427_142222711_iOS.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20190427_142236315_iOS.jpg
    20190427_142236315_iOS.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 131
The Ariel pic is sick. Looks awesomeness me. Ya deff blew away ur neighbor but did everyone notice the neighbors water is very very clear! U can see the robot pretty easy. Lol. They a trouble free pool? Lol

Ha.. Love the Arial pic.. Nice job on keeping up with (well actually blowing away) The jones's... (y)(y)

Haha, thanks!

Man that is a true work of art!! That looks AWESOME!!

booooooooooo on the splashers not work :( Here is hoping they will be easy to fix!

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim! Should be relatively easy, just have to order the parts which could take a while, ugh. At least it's still a bit chilly to swim anyway, although the kids and I went in briefly yesterday :) Brrr!

Truly looks fantastic! I’m glad you have a final inspection...just feels more real that way, doesn’t it? Bring on the nice weather and let’s get this party started!

Thank you! Absolutely ready for the warm weather!

The Ariel pic is sick. Looks awesomeness me. Ya deff blew away ur neighbor but did everyone notice the neighbors water is very very clear! U can see the robot pretty easy. Lol. They a trouble free pool? Lol

Haha, thanks Jim! Funny enough the neighbors just redid their pool and recently switched from using tabs to liquid chlorine, so they're on the right path. I'm trying to convince them to switch to a SWCG now :)

Water temp is slowly moving up, 66-67 this morning. Basically tropical waters now, lol. In other news my robot arrived yesterday! Picked up a Dolphin M400 from Marina. As of Friday I'm "allowed" to use it, really can't wait to try it out as well as fire up the heater.

Measured CYA for the first time last night. I did the test 3 times because I'm struggling a bit to read it correctly. It looks like I'm just around ~20. I added a small amount of dry stabilizier (2lbs) in a sock/skimmer last night to bump it up a little. My pucks are slowly dissolving as well so I should be close to 40-ish in no time. I suppose I'll leave the target there until we switch over to the SWCG and then target 70-80.

PH and FC looking good this morning before brushing as well - didn't add anything at all this time. Still have several pucks floating and one or two in the skimmers. Pump still running 24x7.
FC - 3
PH - 7.4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.