New contract / New build - SE Pennsylvania, Gunite free form pool and spa

With those levels you could get in today!!! Look at this chart: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool
With your CYA being 50 as seen in the test above a couple of posts you are under the SLAM level so it is safe to get in NOW! I would not wear a brand new suit or a fav one just in case there is some slight fading just to be on the safe side.

Kim:kim:

Perfect, thanks! Fortunately I don't own any "new" suits so no real risk there, LOL. Maybe I'll invest later in the 'real' season though. :)

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Got in the spa last night for the first time this year, it was great! My son also had no issue jumping into the 59 degree pool several times, lol.

I'm really liking this PH stability in year 2 so far. :) 3 days of no change at 7.5! Ha, it's the small things.

One weird thing - my inital salt levels were pretty low. Both my Pentair salt cell and my Taylor test kit showed values of about 1950-2000. OK, so I added 7 bags of 40lb salt and retested hours later after running the pump on high and still showed a value of 2200-2300 on both readings. I'm prepared to add more but I suppose I'll wait for it to circulate more but in the past it typically showed up much faster on the test. Could water temp being so low have something to do with it?

Edit: My pump just fired up this morning and the IC60 is now reading 2600ppm which is slightly better. Maybe I'm closer than I thought! Is it typical to have to add 10+ bags at the beginning of a season for a 30K gallon pool?

Last edited:
I added a couple more bags this morning, circulated and then retested after bringing the sample inside at room temp for an hour or so. Got up to 2800 with the taylor test kit and reading 2750 on the cell so pretty close. Still seems crazy since I'm up to 10 x 40lb bags now, but I suppose normal. I'll leave it alone for now and retest once the water warms up above 60+ consistently. There are no longer errors on the cell so good to generate chlorine as needed. The water temp has been between 57-60 in the past couple of days.

Last edited:
Updates! Quarantine has been productive as far as the pool/kitchen projects are concerned. :)

-Added and built bar stools for the overhang area. These are very nice for the price and comfortable.
-Added phillips hue lighting to the ceiling fans and under bar area (replaced some cheap ebay light bars that were junk)
-Added a second sonance subwoofer under the deck area, really helped to round out the sound. I'm now running all 4 zones by the pool from a Sonance DSP8-130 amplifier. The deck speakers are run from a different amp/sonos connect
-Sealed the countertops in a matte finish, this looks much better than the uneven gloss finish I had before, much happier now
-

Attachments

• Countertops new seal .jpeg
    Countertops new seal .jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 47
  • Countertops new seal 2.jpeg
    Countertops new seal 2.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 47
  • rear view pool all lights.jpeg
    rear view pool all lights.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Under bar lighting blue .jpeg
    Under bar lighting blue .jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Under bar lighting white .jpeg
    Under bar lighting white .jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Sonance sub under deck.jpeg
    Sonance sub under deck.jpeg
    843.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks Kim! Now if we could just get back to somewhat "normal" life to have some friends and family over to enjoy it. :)
When we can gather, we'll all have to wear these cool full face snorkel masks around the pool. And holy smokes, I just saw the price, $19. Reduced from $100. Heck, it's so cool looking I might wear it to the grocery store too. Maybe just wrap a bandana around the air intake tube top.

Ocean Reef Aria Full Face Snorkel Mask

Reactions: Gorilla83
OMG....$19? I guess we bought some when they first came out- for far, far more money. Dang. :brickwall:

Otherwise we love ours.....opens up a whole new ballgame for inspecting the pool too. It magnifies everything in the water.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.