New Construction - Granbury, Texas

I was quoted $2,400 difference from the EasyTouch PSL4 to the IntelliCenter for upgrade and programming...do you think it is worth the difference in cost?
I responded to the other thread, but in summary the PSL4 is not a good "automation" and will not allow you to do the basics like accessing it from your phone, tablet, electronic device. You at least need to add in Screen Logic which lets the Easy Touch do all of that, and the price difference between EasyTouch + Screen Logic vs the Intellicenter shouldnt be that much.

If you dont add screen logic or upgrade to the Intellicenter, you will have to walk to the equipment pad to change anything. If you have to do that you might as well remove the Easy Touch and move the valves and change pump speeds manually.

Reactions: String2005
Ugh, that sounds like a headache, I know they were going to include the Screenlogic because they said I would be able to access it from my phone. I absolutely would like the Intellicenter but don't know if I should go back to PB or just do an upgrade later.

Digging on our pool is to start on Monday. Attached is the most recent diagram provided to me, any opinions or suggestions on changes?
I was considering making the shallow end 3.5 feet instead of 3 feet, what are your thoughts?

The benches are currently set to be appx 17" under the water...is this about right? I am 5'2"...

The tanning ledge about 8-9" under the water. Should the tanning ledge be more like 12"?

Do you think the bench in the deep end should be longer?

We will not have a diving board so is 6ft a good depth to jump off the edge of the pool?

Do the skimmers/returns and any other parts of the setup look alright?

Sorry for the overload, I am just so scared of making the wrong decision and regretting it.

IMG_7481.JPG

I like your design. It has something for every one! Here are some of my comments to your concerns and a couple of ideas as well:

the shallow end 3.5 feet instead of 3 feet
You WANT at least 3.5' as you cannot do a good crawl stroke in 3' without scraping your knuckles.

benches are currently set to be appx 17" under the water

The tanning ledge about 8-9" under the water. Should the tanning ledge be more like 12"?
[/QUOTE
Here is what you do.....sit on the floor and have someone hold up a tape measure. Where does 17" hit you? Where does 8" and 12" hit you? Go from there.

the bench in the deep end should be longer
Most park benches and such are 4' wide so that should be a good size. Big enough for two people to sit on if wanted.

is 6ft a good depth to jump off the edge of the pool?
That is the smallest depth you can do and still jump in with your feet tucked up aka cannon ball.

Your steps, especially if you go to 3'5", might need to add another step so they will not be too steep. You don't want the rise to be more than 8" for future comfort. Now they will try the "Water will make your more buoyant"....yeah it will when you are in it!! BUT on the steps most of your body is OUT of the water so..............

Make sure there is a light by the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at dark time.

Is there an overflow planned? If not then ask for it. You get big rains and the overflow it easy insurance to make sure you don't have to run out to drain the pool each time it rains. It is just a grate just under your coping and PVC pipe that goes to somewhere on your property to drain the pool if the water gets too high.

Kim:kim:

• Love
On your tanning ledge, do you ever plan on putting a lounger on there? A standard ledge lounger is 70" long, so they would fit with an inch to spare on each end. An extra 4-6 inches may be welcome.

Note there are Adirondack chairs and other chair type options that take up less space than the lounger, so it may not be a big deal to you. I just wanted to make sure you considered the size if you had your heart set on a lounger.

Hope that helps.

• Love
These suggestions have been very helpful, these are the changes I plan to make, please let me know if it makes sense

make shallow end 3.5' - with the ledge 9" underwater, the difference will be 33"
add 4" to tanning ledge making it 76" to accommodate loungers
make 4 steps at 19" each with an 8.25" rise

add an overflow
add LED light above the pool equipment - could this electrical be run from the IntelliCenter?

add an overflow
add LED light above the pool equipment - could this electrical be run from the IntelliCenter?

Make sure overflow is properly placed in skimmer basket and only gets water when skimmer over 3/4 full.

LED light over pool equipment powered and controlled by IntelliCenter.

Started digging today :)

Still trying to figure out all the equipment but I am meeting (via phone) with someone that installs and works on pool equipment regularly this afternoon to review equipment. We are considering using them to purchase and install the equipment...does anyone see any issues besides possibly upsetting the contractor and/or PB?

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 54
In my view builders know what profit they want to get. Take it away from them in equipment and they will figure out how to get it in other areas. Expect the builder to be less flexible in change requests.

Who will you call for service, problems, and warranty claims? You May save money but take on more responsibility and managemen.

In my view builders know what profit they want to get. Take it away from them in equipment and they will figure out how to get it in other areas. Expect the builder to be less flexible in change requests.

Who will you call for service, problems, and warranty claims? You May save money but take on more responsibility and managemen.
The one we are talking to possibly do the equipment and install owns a pool company where that is what he typically does as well as clean and service the pools. I don't want to upset our contractor or pb because they are both great but we are on very different ends on thoughts of equipment and pricing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let the MUD begin!!! FUN TIMES!!! When they say "done" run out there with the plans and a tapemeasure. Add about 8" for the steel, shell, and plaster. Is it wide, deep, long, etc enough?

As for upsetting the PB tell him you are thinking and ask him if he wants to play the price matching game and see what he has to say.

• Love
Digging ✅
Thinking about adding an umbrella holder to the tanning ledge and possibly some deck jets...what are your thoughts on these features?

Attachments

• 68FC11BA-5116-4F72-9CB9-4208F6F65E01.jpeg
    68FC11BA-5116-4F72-9CB9-4208F6F65E01.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 7C56D72C-2821-426B-A1A9-6A1D968D1976.jpeg
    7C56D72C-2821-426B-A1A9-6A1D968D1976.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 57
Umbrella holders are cheap so add away. If you don't use them, they will stay capped. I'm adding 5 deck jets to my under construction pool right now. I was going to buy the Pentair deck jets but wasn't sure how long the plastic molded jets would last. Since they were buried in concrete, I didn't like the idea of replacing them. Then I found the Crystal Fountain Jets. They do cost more but are made out of brass. Rebuildable as well. Check them out.deck jet_001.jpg

Yes to the umbrella holder but also think about the cantilever umbrella as they can be moved to where you need them at that moment.

No to the deck jets as they are more of a party trick that are not used very often once the novelty wears off. They also push your pH up. Saying that they may also be useful to cool the water off if you run them at night and you can push the pH back down with muriatic acid so.....ask your wallet what it thinks LOL

Yes to the umbrella holder but also think about the cantilever umbrella as they can be moved to where you need them at that moment.

No to the deck jets as they are more of a party trick that are not used very often once the novelty wears off. They also push your pH up. Saying that they may also be useful to cool the water off if you run them at night and you can push the pH back down with muriatic acid so.....ask your wallet what it thinks LOL

Good points, I will research both of these more today. Thank you :)

What about stair rails? I really do not want them because I don't like the look of them but my husband wants to know when they are necessary to have...

We will all be handicapped someday. They are necessary when you need them.

Can you predict that no one in your household will ever have a mobility problem?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.