New Build - Rockwall, TX

Montgomery,

Looks like a great pool. Saw you're considering Intellicenter. I just switched to Intellicenter after a lightning strike fried my Jandy. The Intellicenter is incredible. As Jim pointed out it's a very modular system. I started with the PS8 version. Eight relays and includes the ability to integrate a VS pump, salt, solar, lights plus anything else you want to add in the future like landscape lights, water features. Startup was a snap, customer service is superb.

As you can see I'm pretty happy with the choice.

Chris

Reactions: rmontgomery
Montgomery,

Looks like a great pool. Saw you're considering Intellicenter. I just switched to Intellicenter after a lightning strike fried my Jandy. The Intellicenter is incredible. As Jim pointed out it's a very modular system. I started with the PS8 version. Eight relays and includes the ability to integrate a VS pump, salt, solar, lights plus anything else you want to add in the future like landscape lights, water features. Startup was a snap, customer service is superb.

As you can see I'm pretty happy with the choice.

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes the builder has agreed to install the IntelliCenter. He was hesitant at first since the product is "new" and he has heard of bugs, but I told him I didn't mind being his first install. Unsure of what model will be installed. It will come with the Intellivalve however and he is using it to help switch between my two water features.

Ryan

Thanks Chris, yes the builder has agreed to install the IntelliCenter. He was hesitant at first since the product is "new" and he has heard of bugs, but I told him I didn't mind being his first install. Unsure of what model will be installed. It will come with the Intellivalve however and he is using it to help switch between my two water features.

Ryan
Ryan,

That's great! The only weakness I've seen is in the documentation. It can be a little confusing but the customer support is superb plus there are a couple of experts here @MyAZPool @Jimrahbe @ajw22. And I've learned a little the hard way with my own install.

Try to make sure you get a starting system that has at least 8 aux relay. It doesn't cost much more than 4 and it gives you huge expansion opportunities. My startup was a snap even though my equipment is mostly non-Pentair (I'll be changing to Pentair as equipment wears out since they've been so supportive. Just last night we decided to watch the football from the spa. Had it up to 94 before we got home... boy is that relaxing as you get to raise the temp and switch the bubbles on and off without having to get out.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 2 done. Steel and plumbing installed. Looks like they missed one of the return lines so checking with builder. Also, steps into pool from tanning ledge don't look quite right.
Looks like they will be installing the Intellicenter i8PS IC40.
Going to try and get some drone video soon. Supposed to start gunite tomorrow if inspection goes okay today.

Steel and Plumbing Time Lapse

IMG_20191218_080722.jpg

IMG_20191218_080431.jpg
IMG_20191218_080510.jpgIMG_20191218_080857.jpg

Very cool time lapse. Nice job! Equipment installation looks good. Plumbing looks square and true. You're gonna love the Intellicenter! I have the exact same model installed myself a couple months ago.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your concern with it/them? I will tell you that some don't frame some steps with steel. They just shot it and form in on the go while shooting the shell.

Kim:kim:
Yes, talked to the builder and he indicated they would be formed with gunite. I just thought since all the seats were formed with steel, the steps would be also.

Just a learning experience for me. :)

Ryan

Gunite complete. Watered for first time this morning. Glad I stayed home yesterday though, caught a few things that would have been difficult to fix later.
Now we wait until after the Holidays unfortunately, but at least the gunite will have ample time to harden :)

Update: Forgot to add that gas line to heater was installed today, so one additional item checked off.

Time lapse not quite as good this time due to multiple factors, but still pretty cool.
Gunite Timelapse

IMG_20191220_115507.jpg
IMG_20191220_115540.jpg

Ryan

Last edited:
Glad I stayed home yesterday though, caught a few things that would have been difficult to fix later.
Please tell me what the mix up were so I can use them as example of why someone should be there for the shell work.

It is time for YOUR own set of links!
The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Sure, here are some items that were corrected during the process yesterday.
Steps were the wrong height going down to tanning ledge, they were reversed (wife caught it)
Width of spillway on spa was too narrow (2' instead of 5') (I caught it)
Missing step into pool (I reminded the gunite crew)
Seat in pool was not extended around far enough (I reminded gunite crew)
Weeping wall notch on one side was not the correct height (I caught it)
Spillway on spa needed explanation on design
Rounded corners or square decision (PB not on site so gunite crew asked me)

The PB left the site at times for other jobs, so I made sure to stay there in case problems arose.

Thank you for all the links.

The kit they are providing is the Pentair Rainbow 78HR kit. I plan on getting a saline tester at a minimum.

Thanks for the help and tips!

Ryan

gunite crew asked me
As it should be! SO glad you were there. Those are some big things both of you caught!

That is a basic test kit. It is missing a could of key tests. You also need:
-CYA test CYA (Cyanuric Acid) Test
-Free Chlorine (FC) test. The one in the kit you listed only tests up to 5 ppm for FC. This goes as high as you need it to AND is a more precise FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

I think you would be better off just ordering a complete kit as seen here: Test Kits Add in the salt test: K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

Now if you want to take your testing to the next level get the Magic stirrer aka speed stir: Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer as well as this brush: The Wall Whale Brush 18 " Nylon I have heard it make brushing your new plaster much easier as the tail pushed the brush against the wall with little effort on your shoulders and back.

Reactions: rmontgomery

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.