New Build - Rockwall, TX

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
Trying to decide if I should be concerned with these areas in the gunite before plaster. I was there when they were shooting the gunite, so I know why they look the way they do. The one on the left is where they shoved a board in for scaffolding while they were doing the upper wall. They came back later and sprayed it to fill it in, but it's like the mixture was different or something.
The one on the right is where when they were smoothing it out the area collapsed and they had to come back and re-shoot it later.
I am more concerned with the area on the left as the white (I guess calcium) is building up and is easy to scrape off.

Can they do anything to prep that area better before plaster or is it even needed?
Update: Also sent a picture to my PB about the concern to see what he says.
Gunite_Areas (Large).jpg

Ryan

Last edited:

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
Just posting follow-up. PB isn't concerned with it and pool is now plastered anyway. They are fast. At least I have picture and text documentation if there is a problem in the future.

Ryan

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Sorry there wasn't a reply at the moment, but your PB is correct to not be concerned. Water/dampness leaching though a non-plastered gunite shell is perfectly normal.

Speaking of pictures, how about throwing up a few of your new plaster!!

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
Filled with water. Have an issue with a return that leaked during the fill unfortunately and I wasn't home in time to catch it. We are working on brushing it out and it seems to be getting better.
IMG_20200205_092743.jpg

rmontgomery

Oct 14, 2019
Rockwall, TX
Couple of more pictures. You are right, it is almost gone with just the first couple of days of brushing. Now just have sprinklers and landscaping to do.

Pool school will be in a week or so and they said water would be balanced when they turn it over to me. I asked about the levels and they were off a little from what is recommended here, so I just politely said okay knowing I will have to adjust some more :)

Really appreciate all the advice during our build. Looking forward to getting in the spa in a month.

IMG_20200206_071150.jpg
IMG_20200205_213544.jpg
IMG_20200206_091757.jpg