New Build in Virginia

czb182

Oct 20, 2020
North Virgina
Alright, posted previously about getting some resources to educate myself, now looking to sign contract soon. i've had them put in details like variable speed pump and SWCG as well as cartridge filter. Number skimmers/returns/drains seems ok based on what I've read.

Here are the highlights, hoping someone can glance over it and give ideas. cost is $96,000 : / They are saying pool prices are up almost 20% from a year ago.

Dimensions: Swimming Pool
Width ~16’ Length ~28’
Shape: Rectangular
Area: 448 sq ft
Depth: 3 1⁄2’ in shallow end to 6’ in deep end
Dimensions: Spa
Shape: Rectangular – 7’ x 7’ Inside Dimensions
Area: ~ 49 sq ft
Depth: 3’ Raised 18”. Natural Stone veneer to be chosen. 24” wide spill-way.
Spa to be equipped with (8) Jets and winter disconnect.

Excavation: Pool/spa to be dug with bobcat, majority of dirt to hauled off site.
Steel Reinforcing: Per engineers supplied specs #3/#4’s rebar. 12”/6” per engineers’
recommendation.

Gunite: To be pneumatically applied using a ratio of one part cement to three and one half parts
sand, mixed dry on site, with hydration occurring at nozzle.

Electrical:
1 - Timer for pool cleaner and pool filter
1 – 2hp Pool/Spa Filtration Pump – Variable Speed Pump
1 – 3/4hp Automatic Pool Cleaner Pump
1 – Salt Sanitizing System – Zodiac Nature 2 Fusion Soft Cell Kit
4 – LED “Nicheless” Colored Pool Lights
1- LED “Nicheless” Colored Light Over Sun Shelf Area
**$4,000.00 allowance for electric run/connections, anything extra will be additional

Plumbing:
All plumbing to be pressure tested with air/water
2 – Independent plumbed surface skimmers
4 – Pool wall returns
1 – Automatic pool cleaner line
2 – Anti entrapment pool main drains

Heater: 400,000 BTU Gas Heater with required gas Hookup from existing residence meter to pool
equipment.
Fuel Source: Natural Gas. Assumes meter is/can be upgraded, if required, adequate for pool heater.
**$2,000.00 allowance for gas run, anything extra will be additional

Filtration: One Jandy 60 sq ft Cartridge Filter to meet the filtration requirements of the
swimming pool/spa.
Coping: 16” x 24 x 2” bull-nosed travertine- Walnut or Beige/Ivory color, or similarly priced coping,
per client selection.
Tile: Decorative glass frost proof tile at pool waterline and matching/similar trim tile on steps,
tanning ledge, and benches, per client selection.
Shallow End Tanning Shelf & Steps: Shallow End Sunshelf with umbrella sleeve and Shallow end
steps, (2) 5’ deep end benches, as per design.
Bench: Two 5ft benches in deep ends of pool.
Water Purification: Salt Sanitizing System.
Interior Finish: Quartz Pool Finish – Color To Be Selected.
Water Fill: To be trucked in. Included in contract.

Winter safety covers: Mesh safety with grommets included pool. Spa Cover to be hard foam cover
that can be locked down in winter months when spa is not in use. Color TBD.

Miscellaneous Items for Swimming Pool Included:
Chemical testing kit
2 telescopic poles, 8’-16’
Leaf net
Wall brush
Vacuum head and hose

Completion of Pool and Spa:
Indoctrination shall be conducted after 30 day cure period for plaster.
Owner’s manual shall be presented.
Construction site shall be cleaned of debris and leftover materials.
All disturbed areas to be treated with rough grading (no raking or topsoil), seed and straw.

Get the manufacture and model numbers for all equipment listed.

How are you going to switch your pump, filter and heater between pool and spa? You should to get some type of automation panel to control your pool, spa and equipment.

Delete the automatic pool cleaner and booster pump and buy a robot cleaner on your own from Marina Pool & Spa in Colorado.

Ok, getting part numbers. All the equipment is Jandy. Apparantly the automation upgrade is $3800 : ( cost keep coming, maybe see if I can do that later.

They said I will be able to winterize the pool while keeping spa active, so not sure how that is done. probalby keep the spa open longer than the pool.

All the builders i've gotten quotes from use a polaris 280 and booster pump? WHy should i not use that, whats better?

Im trying to make sure everything is as efficient as possible, so probably gonna ask for the 2.2HP Jandy ePump and largest cartridge filter. I also ask to use all sweep elbows, but they think its not necessary which is maybe true. Should i ask what kind of vales are used, seems like some flow better than others. They seem to link only commercial pools need to worry about these efficiency optimizaions.

Im still trying to get them to agree to gravel backfill the trenches. We have all clay here, and they say they just need to fill trenches with soil and tamper with machines. I asked about tamping soil in 12" lifts nut they said also unnecessary. All the builders have 20-30 years of experience, so want to trust them, just hard based on what I'm reading about proper techniques.

Ok, here is parts they listed
gas heater - JXi400N
VS pump - VSFHP270AUT

I am requesting the JXi400NK gas heater as it has 'versaFlo' integrated bypass which to me looks like an efficiency improvement when heater not being used
I checked energy star website and found a more efficient VS Jandy pump VSSHP220DV2A which I am requesting. Its only 2.2HP instead of 2.7 they listed, buts its more efficient, and we only have small pool (15k gallon) and spa(4 jets, 7x7ft)

I asked about gravel backfill, they said $4800 dollars which seemed expensive, or they could do sand for $3200. I did rough calculation, would probably need 100 tons of 57 stone, which was about $3000 in gravel delivered, so i guess rest they are charging additional labor. I have asked for quote instead to just use the dirt and tamp every 12" instead of just tamping once all dirt is filled.

I am requesting cartridge filter, but not sure which one. I like the Jandy CS150 because its small and has less head loss than the CL/CV fiters even though smaller somehow. Otherwise would probably do the CL/CV460.

We are going to go the automation route. Taking your advice and ditching the polaris 280/booster. they said no additional cost to just give the Jandy AlphaIQ robot cleaner instead.

I originally requested the Nature2 soft, but reading forums seems using mineralizer is bad idea, so going to requesting to just use the Aquapure 1400. I asked for picture of recent install equipment pad. any thoughts?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 23
I am requesting the JXi400NK gas heater as it has 'versaFlo' integrated bypass which to me looks like an efficiency improvement when heater not being used

I think you may find the Versaflow is more trouble then it is worth. It sounds good but it is another mechanical moving part to break.

I checked energy star website and found a more efficient VS Jandy pump VSSHP220DV2A which I am requesting. Its only 2.2HP instead of 2.7 they listed, buts its more efficient, and we only have small pool (15k gallon) and spa(4 jets, 7x7ft)

If the energy star website compares the pumps at full RPM then it is expected a 2.2 HP pump will look more efficient than a 2.7 HP pump. However you will never run your pump at max RPM. And if your systems needs a RPM equal to 1 HP the 2.7 HP will be more efficient and use less electrical power at a lower RPM to give the 1 HP water flow then the 2.2 HP pump.

I asked about gravel backfill, they said $4800 dollars which seemed expensive, or they could do sand for $3200. I did rough calculation, would probably need 100 tons of 57 stone, which was about $3000 in gravel delivered, so i guess rest they are charging additional labor. I have asked for quote instead to just use the dirt and tamp every 12" instead of just tamping once all dirt is filled.

Depends what it is worth to you to get the best insurance against settling and cracking. If you lose the bet it will cost you more then $3200 to repair things in a few years.

I am requesting cartridge filter, but not sure which one. I like the Jandy CS150 because its small and has less head loss than the CL/CV filters even though smaller somehow. Otherwise would probably do the CL/CV460.

A small cartridge filter leads to big problems when you get an algae problem. It will clog rapidly. Within a few hours and you will need to be cleaning the filter every few hours while trying to clear the algae. Get the 460 filter.

Last edited:
Well PB just got back and said they warehouse a bunch of parts and I cant pick exact numbers, but they will try to get something as similiar as possible to what I request : /

That is a "garbage" answer. You want to know what you are buying before it is installed or you pay for it. The PB can always order the equipment you want and get your approval for any substitutes before anything is installed.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.