New Build in New Braunfels, TX. Construction began 9/27/19.

something to consider, if it has not been mentioned already.. Have them install some 6" bronze anchors where ever you think umbrellas make sense. (corners, on the baja shelf, etc). We had 5 of them put in including one of the deck to hold our in-pool table if we take it out. I even built a towel holder that will sit in the sleeve by the pool.

something to consider, if it has not been mentioned already.. Have them install some 6" bronze anchors where ever you think umbrellas make sense. (corners, on the baja shelf, etc). We had 5 of them put in including one of the deck to hold our in-pool table if we take it out. I even built a towel holder that will sit in the sleeve by the pool.
We've talked about those and will be picking spots soon. I'd love to see your towel holder! Weird, but I've been obsessing over towels and storage.

If I recall, the corrosion is the biggest issue, especially with local stones, etc.
Standard response. No data to back it up, but the standard response.
Just be sure to leave a spot in the plumbing to install the SWCG. When you get tired of handling liquid chlorine every day next summer, you will reconsider.

Reactions: VOSE Okie
The funny thing about the "salt" response is that salt builds up anyway from adding chlorine, and it can even start to approach the levels of a "salt" pool after a few years on it's own. A SWCG uses one tenth of what sea water uses and honestly water at that level is only slightly more corrosive. Plus, would they not honor a structural warranty at that point? It doesn't make any sense at all, honestly. The equipment warranty from the manufacturers should apply and in that case if the builder, who is their "official dealer" doesn't help you out because of that then they are just being nasty, honestly.

One of the other commentaries I should make is that these last minute changes are already too late. But you can always stop the guys from doing something stupid, as you have already been noted. BUT--I gave up trying to get anything changed.. the time to have done that was 2 months ago. I am not saying this to be nasty but if others read this thread, it's very costly in time and money to make changes after the project is started. I can't even get my PB to finish up the very small amount of landscaping work promised now that there is water in my pool. I guess I am keeping their advertising sign as a memento of the project....If you are like me after three weeks of it on line, I am already fixing defective work that the electrician did. The overall scope of the project makes small nit picks become pretty big problems.

Good luck. In the grand scheme of things it will be worth it. I don't have a heater here in AZ either, by the way, but three days of tropical rain dropped my pool a grand total of 13 degrees F... so there are times I wish I did. I am going to experiment with solar heat though, as I really don't want any more monthly expenses with the pool than I already have.

I suspect it has something to do with our high PH. Mine out of the tap is 8.1 and my pool that was filled yesterday is up to 8.2 with no aeration or water movement. The average customer uses pucks and shock, which are acidic and help keep the ph down.

We all know the problems that pucks cause, but without using them you will need to add acid more frequently. Thats fine for people on here who treat their pool like their baby, but could be problematic for the people who only want to care for their pool weekly at best and cause their PH to be 8+ for extended periods of time. Its easier to blame the SWCG than the actual root cause, so that is what happens.

This is based on ZERO science, just my observations from reading on here for the last month or two. I've also seen too many "OMG liquid chlorine is raising my PH" threads for there to not be something there. I suspect they are long time puck users who are not used to adding acid as often because of the acidic nature of the pucks. Its not the liquid chlorine's fault, but its easy to blame it.

Reactions: agjag06
It's been said multiple times here that the main reason for the "ugh SWCG!" with the builders is the misleading information that came out about them back when they first came out. I still see people selling systems say that a salt pool isn't a chlorine pool.

Chemically it's the same as adding chlorine gas and is not really acidic at all. A pool isn't a set it and forget it system no matter what. But the fact that owners probably do less for the pool with a SWCG for "normal" people (i.e. "not us") I suppose I can see why they don't want to deal with it.

But to threaten no warranty is typical violation of federal law BS. (Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia) The implication of this is that legally they would have to prove that the salt system caused the problem to legally deny the warranty (if taken to court or arbitration which is the rub here.) It also forced the allowance of using different branded parts with a product (not as an excuse to deny warranty). This applies even to "limited warranties" which is most of them, of course.

It is amazing that people don't remember this when a company says "you added something we didn't approve of so your warranty is void". Just using stuff with it they don't like-- that is patently false.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's been said multiple times here that the main reason for the "ugh SWCG!" with the builders is the misleading information that came out about them back when they first came out. I still see people selling systems say that a salt pool isn't a chlorine pool.

Chemically it's the same as adding chlorine gas and is not really acidic at all. A pool isn't a set it and forget it system no matter what. But the fact that owners probably do less for the pool with a SWCG for "normal" people (i.e. "not us") I suppose I can see why they don't want to deal with it.

But to threaten no warranty is typical violation of federal law BS. (Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia) The implication of this is that legally they would have to prove that the salt system caused the problem to legally deny the warranty (if taken to court or arbitration which is the rub here.) It also forced the allowance of using different branded parts with a product (not as an excuse to deny warranty). This applies even to "limited warranties" which is most of them, of course.

It is amazing that people don't remember this when a company says "you added something we didn't approve of so your warranty is void". Just using stuff with it they don't like-- that is patently false.

It's a non-issue for us. I am fine with the system we have. If I felt that strong about a salt water system, I would have tried to find a builder who would put it in, but I don't. To clarify, most builders just won't build it at all and the very few who will, will ask you to sign a waiver. Again, non-issue for us. I appreciate all of the input though! You guys know your stuff!

Day One Progress Pics.

Attachments

• 20190927_100237.jpg
    20190927_100237.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190927_112645.jpg
    20190927_112645.jpg
    696.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 20190927_141436.jpg
    20190927_141436.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20190927_141439.jpg
    20190927_141439.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 20190927_155014.jpg
    20190927_155014.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190927_155034.jpg
    20190927_155034.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190927_155042.jpg
    20190927_155042.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190927_155051.jpg
    20190927_155051.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20190927_155113.jpg
    20190927_155113.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 86
  • 20190927_155141.jpg
    20190927_155141.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 83
I live here in Houston and would rather saw my foot off than not have an SWG. Trust me after putting in Liquid Chlorine EVERY DAY in your first 5 months you’ll wish u had one. I told my pool builder either put it in or i’ll Find somebody else. People that don’t follow TFP think an SWG is strictly about the feel of the water. It is but it’s mainly about the ease of chlorine maintenance. Also I haven’t seen a SPECK of discoloration on my travertine decking either. It’s all smoke and mirrors by the pool builders.
Also I’d highly consider a Chiller. Water down here can easily hit 90+ degrees. Like swimming in a big bath tub...

Standard response. No data to back it up, but the standard response.
Just be sure to leave a spot in the plumbing to install the SWCG. When you get tired of handling liquid chlorine every day next summer, you will reconsider.
It seems to me that there is very little metal exposed to the pool water, so why they would be concerned seems odd. In my pool, the only metal parts exposed to pool water are the stainless steel screws and shafts in some of the valves and in my filter tank.

Why would only Texas builders be so worried but not elsewhere?

Why would only Texas builders be so worried but not elsewhere?
I assume it is because many use cheap flagstone around the pool. That flagstone degrades regardless of what chlorination method is used. But, if they install a SWCG, their customers will point to that as the cause because 'they saw it on the internet'. So, it is less hassle for the builders.

Builders have little clue on water chemistry. Or long term issues with the materials they use around a pool.

I assume it is because many use cheap flagstone around the pool. That flagstone degrades regardless of what chlorination method is used. But, if they install a SWCG, their customers will point to that as the cause because 'they saw it on the internet'. So, it is less hassle for the builders.

Builders have little clue on water chemistry. Or long term issues with the materials they use around a pool.
Ah. I've never liked flagstone coping... it's always flaking and looks worn and bad quick. It would be an interesting conversation with a builder though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.