Gold Supporter
Mar 23, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are building a gunite pool in the Houston area. My little girl who is 8 years old is so excited as is my wife. I am too but the cost is what I don’t like. I never imagined a pool costing so much money. Anyhow, we are set to start excavation tomorrow. I have attached some pictures of what it’s suppose to look like when completed, the plans and the specs. I feel pretty good about the equipment. We are using mostly Jandy equipment and some Pentair items. It will be automated with Aqualink. I am hoping to have it attached to my home automation and to be able to use my iPhone. The pool features include a margarita table, a tanning ledge, bubblers, and a fire wok. The spa is raised. I did not know that was a feature until I started this project. The pool has been layed out but it looks small from the layout. The pool is suppose to be 15 x 37 and the spa is 6 x 10. We had to make it a little narrower to meet the easement requirements. Part of the challenge with our pool location is that it is on a slope and a we have a retaining wall in our backyard. The pool and pool deck is on a lower level than out patio area. We are going to have a patio on the upstairs with an outdoor kitchen and we are extending our patio and roofline. We are using travertino pavers. As you can see from the plans, we are paving a lot of the pool area and the surrounding deck and the patio upstairs.

I have a couple of questions and I know it’s late in the game, but my PB is recommending a pool pressure suction cleaner, Polaris TR28, which requires a booster pump. I have seen varying opinions on this site about the pros and cons of both. I am thinking I should just go with a robot instead. I don’t want to have to brush for algae. Does the robot really do a good job removing algae? I really don’t care about lifting the robot out of the water. That’s not a concern for me.

Also, the PB is recommending an ozone generator. Is that good to have? I know it’s not a necessity and I could get rid of it and bring down costs, but is it worth it? I understand that it can help rid your pool of algae too. Maybe I won’t need that pool guy between the robot/pressure side cleaner and the ozone generator.

Is there something more that I should be looking at. I have asked tons of questions over almost a year now. However, I seem to never run out of questions since I began this process.

Carlos

Attachments

• E895C1D7-952D-441B-9B0C-75A208872CF4.png
    E895C1D7-952D-441B-9B0C-75A208872CF4.png
    663.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 11080603-8426-4B05-A69D-AFF982615630.jpeg
    11080603-8426-4B05-A69D-AFF982615630.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 4A4224E7-C966-4A3F-9EA9-BDE5ED4A6CA0.jpeg
    4A4224E7-C966-4A3F-9EA9-BDE5ED4A6CA0.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 75A4A596-E526-491D-A924-A209F6365A48.jpeg
    75A4A596-E526-491D-A924-A209F6365A48.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 236
  • 0D894937-1B93-4BBB-BCC9-6DE7122AAA08.jpeg
    0D894937-1B93-4BBB-BCC9-6DE7122AAA08.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Hola Carlos :wave:

PLEASE.....do NOT waste a penny on Ozone and UV. Totally worthless in your pool. Texas gets plenty of free UVs from the sun anyway.

I would also suggest dumping the puck chlorinator Rainbow, and using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) to make your chlorine within the pool water itself. Best invention ever made for pools and most folks *love* the freedom they give you to go away for a week or so vacay and know that your pool is getting its daily dose of chlorine.

Robots work wonderfully to pick up debris, dust, leaves, etc. They use a fraction of energy compared to a pressure type cleaner using a booster pump. That's a waste of money for yet another entire pump.
BUT... do not make the mistake of thinking any robot or cleaner will get rid of algae. Only proper water chemistry will kill algae. Robots just pick up the dead algae bodies. o_O

Most pools using Automation need all the equipment use the same brand, better for them to "talk" to each other in the same language. Your contract lists 3 different brands for equipment you'll need automation for?? No Bueno.
Jandy is a brand that only pool builders can install. Pentair is a good brand for equipment automation. Does your builder install Pentair products too?

You mention using a pool guy.... truth be told, they often mess pool water chemistry up due to their "in-and-out-fast" way of needing to service a lot of pools each day. So they tend to use chemicals we would never want pool owners to use. Some examples are copper containing products or clarifier. Poor chemistry can actually damage your pool and equipment. Ouch!

IF you do decide to use outside pool help you should still own your own reliable test kit to follow behind and monitor your pool water's condition for peace of mind.
An important part of pool ownership is water testing and we require you to have a *good* test kit. You'll save more money by buying one of those than you'll ever spend on unnecessary chemicals a pool company or pool store will burden you with.

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Maddie 🇺🇦

I’d recommend you upgrade to an RS-8 system instead of PDA. Otherwise you will have to do all programming on the PDA vs your phone. Not sure which home automation controller your’re using but that will also likely need the RS system (mine did anyways)

Carlos,

Not many of us here at TFP will approve of your "lack of sanitation" systems. :mrgreen: OZone and UYV are all "magic", but sadly, there is no rabbit.

Ask your pool builder how you test to ensure it is work. He will have no answer as there are no OZone or UV tests available to the homeowner.

This whole website is dedicated to the use of chlorine as a sanitizer, this is what keeps your pool sparkling clear. We teach the homeowner how to maintain his pool, not some 5 min a week pool guy. If you want it done right, you need to do it yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hola Carlos :wave:

PLEASE.....do NOT waste a penny on Ozone and UV. Totally worthless in your pool. Texas gets plenty of free UVs from the sun anyway.

I would also suggest dumping the puck chlorinator Rainbow, and using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) to make your chlorine within the pool water itself. Best invention ever made for pools and most folks *love* the freedom they give you to go away for a week or so vacay and know that your pool is getting its daily dose of chlorine.

Robots work wonderfully to pick up debris, dust, leaves, etc. They use a fraction of energy compared to a pressure type cleaner using a booster pump. That's a waste of money for yet another entire pump.
BUT... do not make the mistake of thinking any robot or cleaner will get rid of algae. Only proper water chemistry will kill algae. Robots just pick up the dead algae bodies. o_O

Most pools using Automation need all the equipment use the same brand, better for them to "talk" to each other in the same language. Your contract lists 3 different brands for equipment you'll need automation for?? No Bueno.
Jandy is a brand that only pool builders can install. Pentair is a good brand for equipment automation. Does your builder install Pentair products too?

You mention using a pool guy.... truth be told, they often mess pool water chemistry up due to their "in-and-out-fast" way of needing to service a lot of pools each day. So they tend to use chemicals we would never want pool owners to use. Some examples are copper containing products or clarifier. Poor chemistry can actually damage your pool and equipment. Ouch!

IF you do decide to use outside pool help you should still own your own reliable test kit to follow behind and monitor your pool water's condition for peace of mind.
An important part of pool ownership is water testing and we require you to have a *good* test kit. You'll save more money by buying one of those than you'll ever spend on unnecessary chemicals a pool company or pool store will burden you with.

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Maddie 🇺🇦
Hi Maddie,

Thank you for the post. I have been thinking a lot about the ozone/UV generator. I saw on YouTube a gentleman fixing it. He said that if you didn’t see bubbles it wasn’t working. I find it interesting that there is no way to measure its effectiveness. I asked my pool builder about it and he said there was no test for it. However, he said that when he maintained pools that those that had the ozone/UV generator never had algae issues so that is why he recommended it. I will cancel it as this is the third time I have now heard this.

Will the SWG have a negative affect on my pool equipment? I thought if you did not have certain equipment it can have a negative effect. I will check into it.

My reasoning for joining this site is so that I won’t have a pool guy. I want to maintain the pool myself. I am retired now and I have time to tackle this. As the pool is being built, I will be studying about pool chemistry to keep my pool crystal clear. Since I am using mostly Jandy equipment for the pumps and water features, I think the Aqualink system should work fine with it.

I will go with the robot instead of the pressure side cleaner. I just hope I can find one that will last a while. I will take it out of the water when it’s not in use. Now it’s just a matter of finding a good robot. I have a Pebble Sheen pool so I am not sure if it will wear down the scrubbers faster. We’ll see.

Thank you for your input. I will be sure to ask as I have more questions.

Carlos,

Not many of us here at TFP will approve of your "lack of sanitation" systems. :mrgreen: OZone and UYV are all "magic", but sadly, there is no rabbit.

Ask your pool builder how you test to ensure it is work. He will have no answer as there are no OZone or UV tests available to the homeowner.

This whole website is dedicated to the use of chlorine as a sanitizer, this is what keeps your pool sparkling clear. We teach the homeowner how to maintain his pool, not some 5 min a week pool guy. If you want it done right, you need to do it yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am with you on doing it yourself. I will be saving myself $185 per month. That’s $2,220 per year. I can use that for gasoline!😂
I look forward to learning.

Will the SWG have a negative affect on my pool equipment? I thought if you did not have certain equipment it can have a negative effect. I will check into it.
All pool equipment is designed for the use in saltwater pools. The salinity is 1/10th of that of the ocean.
Maintaining proper pool water chemistry is the most important thing you can do to protect the pool equipment.

Reactions: Carlos22
Edit: I realize I don’t really understand the equipment but I have aqualink and use a pda and phone (have never used a computer) but I primarily use the pda but I had to change the speed of vsp on phone. The jandy rep said I could do either but it was easier on the phone and walked me through it. I will pm pricing difference to have both. It was minimal.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are using mostly Jandy equipment and some Pentair items.
Pick one or the other. Having a single manufacturer ensures your equipment communicates correctly.

pool pressure suction cleaner
A robot is a much better choice.

I don’t want to have to brush for algae.
Algae is a chemistry problem. A TFP pool has no algae because of good chemistry.

Also, the PB is recommending an ozone generator. Is that good to have?
No.

Maybe I won’t need that pool guy
With TFPC, you won't need or want a pool guy. Put that money into a quality test kit, a SWG, and a robot.

Is there something more that I should be looking at.
Take a look at my build thread (in my signature).

Other things to consider:

3.5' is too shallow. I would suggest increasing the depth of the shallow end to 4'.

Are you sure you want only ~7" depth for your ledge?

Delete the UV, ozone, tab feeder, and booster pump. Get a SWG and robot.

Have you thought about cleaning/robot accessibility around the margarita table? You might want to investigate having a removable table instead of a permanent one.

The spa light should be on the opposite side, facing away from the house.

Carlos,

I agree with pjt about the table in the pool.

Nothing good will happen with a table in the pool. Some things look cool, but have zero functionality... Other than the first week, it will never get used and just get in the way of everything.

If you are looking for a place to save a few bucks that would be a great place to start.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pick one or the other. Having a single manufacturer ensures your equipment communicates correctly.

A robot is a much better choice.

Algae is a chemistry problem. A TFP pool has no algae because of good chemistry.

No.

With TFPC, you won't need or want a pool guy. Put that money into a quality test kit, a SWG, and a robot.

Take a look at my build thread (in my signature).

Other things to consider:

3.5' is too shallow. I would suggest increasing the depth of the shallow end to 4'.

Are you sure you want only ~7" depth for your ledge?

Delete the UV, ozone, tab feeder, and booster pump. Get a SWG and robot.

Have you thought about cleaning/robot accessibility around the margarita table? You might want to investigate having a removable table instead of a permanent one.

The spa light should be on the opposite side, facing away from the house.
Hello Thanks Pit. You’re actually a neighbor. I’m in Conroe.

I thought 4 feet was too deep. I have little kids around me and some grands to be born so I am comfortable with the 3.5 feet. I was okay with the 7inches. Is there something that I am missing?

I dumped the ozone/UV and the booster pump and am getting a robot.

My wife likes the margarita table. My wife wants it. She envisions uses for it, especially for the two of us. We have plans which is why we got it.

Since our spa will not be aiming into our home area it was not a necessity to have the lights facing away from the house. Those lights will have a great effect and ambiance along with the fire bowls and cascade spillover.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Reactions: pjt
Now it’s just a matter of finding a good robot.
I can help you with that! Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio This site is wonderful to work with. You need to do a PHONE call to them to get the full factory warranty. Share with them your pool's details and they can help guide you in picking the cleaner that will best fit your needs!

Add to that if you become a supporting member of TFP as seen here: Become a TFP Supporter you will get a discount from them. You will also help TFP keep the lights on and servers fed!

A couple of thing about your pool. I don't see an overflow mentioned. You will thank me when you don't have to mess with the pool during a heavy rain.

You also want a light by the equipment pad. Again during a dark, stormy night .........you will want to have a light to help you at the equipment pad.

For your plumbing you want unions on either side of all of the equipment as well as GOOD valves. There are are a couple of brands where the valves are rebuildable.

Since your wife really wants the table you can help the robot by having the "floor" of table area raised a bit to keep the robot from trying to go up there and getting tangled around the table base. I would also have a small return placed at the bottom of the table area facing out towards the pool to help push any stuff that collects there out for the robot to pick up.

Depth-Make sure all depths are WATER depth. Some people will measure the depth as from the floor to just under the coping. Where WATER depth is measured from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Could be quite a difference in the true depth of the pool.

Shelf-again water depth is going to be very important. Do you have chairs or loungers in mind or just sitting on your bottom on the shelf? How high do you want the water to hit you on your body while on the shelf? Some things to think about while thinking about the shelf depth. NO answer is wrong. I just want you to think about it so you get just what you want!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I can help you with that! Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio This site is wonderful to work with. You need to do a PHONE call to them to get the full factory warranty. Share with them your pool's details and they can help guide you in picking the cleaner that will best fit your needs!

Add to that if you become a supporting member of TFP as seen here: Become a TFP Supporter you will get a discount from them. You will also help TFP keep the lights on and servers fed!

A couple of thing about your pool. I don't see an overflow mentioned. You will thank me when you don't have to mess with the pool during a heavy rain.

You also want a light by the equipment pad. Again during a dark, stormy night .........you will want to have a light to help you at the equipment pad.

For your plumbing you want unions on either side of all of the equipment as well as GOOD valves. There are are a couple of brands where the valves are rebuildable.

Since your wife really wants the table you can help the robot by having the "floor" of table area raised a bit to keep the robot from trying to go up there and getting tangled around the table base. I would also have a small return placed at the bottom of the table area facing out towards the pool to help push any stuff that collects there out for the robot to pick up.

Depth-Make sure all depths are WATER depth. Some people will measure the depth as from the floor to just under the coping. Where WATER depth is measured from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Could be quite a difference in the true depth of the pool.

Shelf-again water depth is going to be very important. Do you have chairs or loungers in mind or just sitting on your bottom on the shelf? How high do you want the water to hit you on your body while on the shelf? Some things to think about while thinking about the shelf depth. NO answer is wrong. I just want you to think about it so you get just what you want!

I have already selected the Polaris Alpha + IQ, but I will give Marina Pool and Patio a call and see what they recommend. I will also make a donation to TFP. The information I have gotten here so far alone will make it worthwhile.

On my pool price itemization breakdown it states a cost for overflow, but I will inquire again about it with the PB.

The PB is putting a light in the equipment pad. He is the one that recommended it and we agreed.

I have looked up what unions are and it seems they can really help with problems down the road. I will discuss with the PB. How do I determine good valves? I know that most everything is Jandy product as some of these are. Here are the ones they are to use:

Plumbing: 12/CS 2.0"-2.5" Straight CPVC Check Valve
Plumbing: 2"S CPVC Corrosion Resistant Check Valve
Plumbing: 12/CS 2"-2.5" 2-Port CPVC Neverlube Valve
Plumbing: 12/CS 2"-2.5" 3-Port CPVC Neverlube Valve

I will inquire about raising the table and placing a return near it.

We do have some loungers that we will be placing on the shelf near the bubblers. I will check to see how wet my wife wants to be when she is on it. I don’t think she really wants to be getting very wet at all. I would be in the water not on the ledge. Nevertheless, I will be checking how they do calculate water depth.

Thank you so much for bringing these questions before me. I would not have ever thought about many of them.

You are good to go with those valves! They are some of the good ones. I am glad I was able to help you get answers to questions you did not know to ask. I have helped build a couple of pools here at TFP so have learned what people like and do not like about their pools.

Hi Kim,

Do you think the margarita table is raised high enough? I know it’s probably too late if it’s not.91C41E9B-ECED-46F2-A13E-C0155C3F22EF.jpeg47363BAE-80AF-40E4-8306-7A219285952C.jpeg

After four full days of work, I’m surprised at how much has been done Day 1 excavation, Day 2 plumbing set, Day3 Inspection, Day 4 gunite shot. I’m so surprised that I can already able to see my pool in such a short time.

Now I’ve got work to do. I have to water it a lot. It’s going to be in the 80’s through the weekend so I’m going to be watering it about 5 times a day.

Attachments

• D30A4C0D-C58C-48A6-9A63-1638B2D5B331.jpeg
    D30A4C0D-C58C-48A6-9A63-1638B2D5B331.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 68
  • A9F985AF-1EBA-4996-A181-415499C3A547.jpeg
    A9F985AF-1EBA-4996-A181-415499C3A547.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 69
  • E9E155E3-7A5F-4B64-97A0-A2F1C69978C7.jpeg
    E9E155E3-7A5F-4B64-97A0-A2F1C69978C7.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 68
  • B0CA7ACD-F742-428B-BE11-501D125B6FD3.jpeg
    B0CA7ACD-F742-428B-BE11-501D125B6FD3.jpeg
    679.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2EAF329E-00CE-4406-91B1-9CA09AFE7A35.jpeg
    2EAF329E-00CE-4406-91B1-9CA09AFE7A35.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 80F00537-DD42-4FA1-A4F8-10F592CC872C.jpeg
    80F00537-DD42-4FA1-A4F8-10F592CC872C.jpeg
    583.3 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.