New Above Ground 24x54-WHERE DO I EVEN START

Lucylocket74

Jun 19, 2020
Madisonville, TN
I’m in the same beginner’s boat. Just curious what is SWG? I downloaded the app. I have a big box of Clorox 6 in 1 shock from Costco. Can I use this up before I begin the pool school instructions? I do have CYA in a sock in combination with this. Pool had been open just a few days.

Wobblerlorri

Bronze Supporter
Save the Clorox stuff for when you go on vacation or are going to be away from the pool for a few days. Start now with liquid chlorine.

SWG is salt water generator, it's a way of creating chlorine from salt water. If you don't have an SWG you don't need to worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucylocket74

PoolNewb2020

May 7, 2020
Lathrop, CA
I would return Clorox tabs and not use them at all. They contain copper. Home depot sells triclor that is only chlorine and stabilizer, I think they are 3in1. Avoid anything with blue in the name, 4in1, 6in1, etc.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Thank you, what is the issue with the copper
It stains and is hard to remove.
Also, how do you know the percentage of bleach that you’re buying? I haven’t seen it on the label
I google stuff right in the store if its not on the label. My 11yo has food allergies so im used to googling the ingredients all the time anyway. Now I do it for the pool too.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
No more stabilizer until you have a good tester. You cannot remove CYA unless you drain so if you go to far you will kick yourself. The only # that matters right now is the 3 or 4 ppm of chlorine added daily until your kit arrives.

Reactions: Mlindsleye

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Don‘t worry, this is easier than you think. Once you get familiar with testing and with your pool, it will become second nature. Aside from LC, which I keep handy to boost the production on my salt water generator when needed, I rarely have to add anything to my pool. And it isn’t hard to get the stuff you need when you need it. I still have about half a jug of muriatic acid that I bought a few years ago... my ph is so stable that I just don’t need it often! So, I would work with the CYA and LC, using the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School to understand the relationship between the two. We’ll be around to help with any issues that come up.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
What is your TA? Are you using the poolmath app? If so there should be a setting where you can share the test results automatically with TFP. We can read them by hovering over your avatar.

Hold a white piece of paper behind the test comparator when you read the results.

Reactions: Mlindsleye

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Is that the only test you have? You need the TA level for pH adjustment.

You also have no Bromine in the pool unless you added it and that would be a big mistake.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I ran your numbers through PoolMath and it is showing 58 ounces of washing soda or soda ash OR if you want to use borax it would be 1.5 boxes which is 7lbs 4 ounces.

Mlindsleye

Jul 7, 2020
Hendersonville tn
Oh ok. No I did not. Sorry!! I’m still learning. I figured maybe it was just there lol. My total TA IS 70. And the CYA test I could see the black dot the whole time so I’m guessing it’s 20 because that’s the line it got closest to.