New Above Ground 24x54-WHERE DO I EVEN START

I’m in the same beginner’s boat. Just curious what is SWG? I downloaded the app. I have a big box of Clorox 6 in 1 shock from Costco. Can I use this up before I begin the pool school instructions? I do have CYA in a sock in combination with this. Pool had been open just a few days.

Save the Clorox stuff for when you go on vacation or are going to be away from the pool for a few days. Start now with liquid chlorine.

SWG is salt water generator, it's a way of creating chlorine from salt water. If you don't have an SWG you don't need to worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucylocket74
Thank you, what is the issue with the copper
It stains and is hard to remove.
Also, how do you know the percentage of bleach that you’re buying? I haven’t seen it on the label
I google stuff right in the store if its not on the label. My 11yo has food allergies so im used to googling the ingredients all the time anyway. Now I do it for the pool too.

No more stabilizer until you have a good tester. You cannot remove CYA unless you drain so if you go to far you will kick yourself. The only # that matters right now is the 3 or 4 ppm of chlorine added daily until your kit arrives.

Reactions: Mlindsleye

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don‘t worry, this is easier than you think. Once you get familiar with testing and with your pool, it will become second nature. Aside from LC, which I keep handy to boost the production on my salt water generator when needed, I rarely have to add anything to my pool. And it isn’t hard to get the stuff you need when you need it. I still have about half a jug of muriatic acid that I bought a few years ago... my ph is so stable that I just don’t need it often! So, I would work with the CYA and LC, using the chlorine/CYA chart in Pool School to understand the relationship between the two. We’ll be around to help with any issues that come up.

Here are my test results!! If I’m reading it right my pH is in the 6.8 range and chlorine/bromine is 3. I’m a little confused. Do I put the background as a light? So I can use the color? What do y’all think of these results?

Attachments

• A42F3FD4-50EC-4C25-A22F-70DF8F9DA808.jpeg
    A42F3FD4-50EC-4C25-A22F-70DF8F9DA808.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 12
What is your TA? Are you using the poolmath app? If so there should be a setting where you can share the test results automatically with TFP. We can read them by hovering over your avatar.

Hold a white piece of paper behind the test comparator when you read the results.

Reactions: Mlindsleye
Merged threads - TFP Mod
So if I’m reading correct my chlorine is 2 bromine 4 and ph is 6.8 possibly even less. If I did the pool math correct it says add 1lb of borax. This is my first time testing do you agree with me? Am I doing this right?

Attachments

• FCFC8845-D6BA-425F-B16B-9063A7782A8E.jpeg
    FCFC8845-D6BA-425F-B16B-9063A7782A8E.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the only test you have? You need the TA level for pH adjustment.

You also have no Bromine in the pool unless you added it and that would be a big mistake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.