Need Feedback on Pool Package/Equipment (NC)

shashivr4

Aug 10, 2020
Charlotte, NC
I have just received our first quote for our proposed 16' x 38' pool with a 6' x 18' sun shelf and a 8' x 8' spa. I would love to hear thoughts from the many experts on TFP on the specs and the equipment that been proposed by the PB. I do know the following changes need to be made:

1) The pool will be a play/sports pool. Therefore, it won't simply be 3.5' --> 6' We are leaning toward 3.5' --> 5.5' --> 4'

2) I don't see any adjustable deck jets on the sun shelf as requested. Am I missing something?

3) I don't see any bubblers on the sun shelf as requested. Am I missing something?

4) We want the stairs on both sides on the spa not the center of the sun shelf as proposed.

5) I don't see an automation system as requested. Am I missing something?

In addition, I have the following questions:

A) Is the 400,000 BTU heater also for the pool? Or is it simply for the spa?

B) Should I have an electric heat pump added for the climate in North Carolina?

C) Should I go with a cartridge filter as proposed by PB or a sand filter?

D) Should I add inserts for umbrellas within the sun shelf and for a volleyball net on the decking, etc? Or is standalone better?

E) Where is the ideal place for benches? Keep in mind I have a swim-up bar (no permanent seating though).

I would highly appreciate any additional thoughts and advise. I have attached my schematic plan for reference. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Pool Specs (1-22-21).pdf
    231.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2nd Draft Landscape Plan.pdf
    614 KB · Views: 22
2) I don't see any adjustable deck jets on the sun shelf as requested. Am I missing something?

Nope, not there.

3) I don't see any bubblers on the sun shelf as requested. Am I missing something?

Nope, not there.

4) We want the stairs on both sides on the spa not the center of the sun shelf as proposed.

Nope, not there.

5) I don't see an automation system as requested. Am I missing something?

16) Electronic Pool Controller is the automation. Ask for details on manufacturer and model although in spa section is says Upgrade the Controller to a PDA 6. I suspect the builder is proposing a Jandy Aqualink system. You want the Aqualink RS One Touch system with iAqualink, not the PDA.

In addition, I have the following questions:

A) Is the 400,000 BTU heater also for the pool? Or is it simply for the spa?

It should heat either the pool when in POOL mode or spa in SPA mode but you should confirm.

B) Should I have an electric heat pump added for the climate in North Carolina?

Really not needed with the gas heater.

C) Should I go with a cartridge filter as proposed by PB or a sand filter?

A large cartridge filter is good.

D) Should I add inserts for umbrellas within the sun shelf and for a volleyball net on the decking, etc? Or is standalone better?

If you know exactly where you want it then inserts for the volleyball net. My experience with umbrellas is the sun moves and you have to move the umbrellas around to get the shade where you want. The inserts will never be where you really want them.

E) Where is the ideal place for benches? Keep in mind I have a swim-up bar (no permanent seating though).

That really depends what you will be playing in the sport pool and where the benches will not get int he way. I would think about to the left and/or right of the sun shelf.

Get manufacture and model numbers of pump, heater, SWG system, LED lights. Make sure the SWG is at least 2X the pool volume.

Delete the MX-8 suction pool cleaner and get a robot pool cleaner independently. When the time comes we will tell you where you can get good deals on one.

Confirm your home gas service can feed a 400K BTU heater.

Have you been in a mini pebble pool and like the texture of it?

Some reading for you....

Add more than 1 umbrella sleeve. We added one in the shelf then a few more in the deck so that we can have it in different places. It won't be perfect but definitely a help.

Need feedback on specs and pricing from PB #2. Proposal attached for your reference.

Please note the following:
1) The pool will indeed be a sports pool (3.5 --> 5 --> 4) even though the proposal states 3.5 --> 6. Apparently its the same pricing either way.
2) The pool will be 16' x 38'. The 22' stated included 6' for the sun shelf.
3) The cost of $700 for the actuators includes independent control of the bubblers (2) and deck jets (2).
4) Additional cost will be incurred for engineering due to my topography (currently being determined by engineer).
5) The heater is a Ray Pak with a 399,000 BTU capacity.
6) The LED lights are the Hydra Cool series by Jandy.
7) I'm confirming with PB #2 if this proposal includes steps on both sides of the spa into the pool.
8) I'm being told the quote includes as many umbrella, volleyball, etc sleeves as wished.
9) The spa will include a spillover.
10) I'm confirming if the quote includes the coping.
11) I'm confirming if the quote includes the coping/counter for the swim-up bar.
12) I'll have a landscape architect complete the landscape (hardscape, landscape lighting, greens cape, etc)

I know at a minimum, I have the following questions:

1) Is an auto-fill feature worth it? Or should I simply save the $2,600?
2) What is a fusion? It was included in the first revision but deleted in this proposal.
3) I have been informed the heater will in-fact heat both the pool and spa. However, not concurrently. Is this normal?
4) Is the automation system quoted the one recommended previously (AquaLink RS System)?
5) I'm being told the system will be plumbed for a heat pump if I wish to add one in the future at a cost of $6,500. However, electrical will need to be ran. Any other considerations to ensure I am able to add a heat pump in the future if I wish.
6) Any recommendations to the set-up and/or specific equipment?
7) Any thoughts on pricing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• PB #2 Spec and Pricing.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2nd Draft Landscape Plan.pdf
    614 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.