Critique my lap pool plans

kit2022

Jul 18, 2023
Florida
Hello! We are building a home in Florida and making plans for a pool in our backyard. I've done the best I can do with our plan, and I'd love an outside perspective. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions on how to improve this design.

A bit of context: We're a family of swimmers. I swim laps daily, and my husband swims laps as often as possible. We currently have 2 kids under the age of 2, but we're hoping to have 4+ kids and imagine they'll be swimmers like their parents. We also live down the street from both sets of parents who swim often and will want to use our pool.

Notes on our plan:
- Designated lap lane on the far end with lane lines on both sides of the lane (one lane line next to the wall, another lane line 7.5' from the wall). The middle section of the pool could also be used as a second lane.
- Hot tub in the lower right corner with seating all around. Flush to the pool deck, as opposed to raised.
- Sun shelf next to the hot tub (I'm thinking adults could sit on the side of the hot tub with their feet on the sun shelf, while the kids are playing. The sun shelf is 13" below the waterline, so this 'bench' would be around 17ish inches high, which seems appropriate for bench seating).
- Depths of sun shelf and steps below waterline: 4" - 13" - 22" - 31" - 40" then decline to 3.5-4' pool depth
- Bench seating in the corner opposite the sun shelf: 12" below waterline
- In the 20' wide 'notch' in the pool, I'd plan to put lounge chairs on the pool deck.
- Water depth: Ranging from 3.5 to 6' deep, with shallower areas on either end, and the deepest area adjacent to the 20' 'notch' in the pool. I'd try to teach the kids to jump in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-18 161424.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 161424.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Many times people with young kids tend to build their pools too shallow and end up regretting it. What is the depth of the shallow end and deepest part of the pool?

Do you have a drawing and list of proposed equipment? I like the idea of a flush hot tub since raised ones can obstruct your view of the kids swimming.

Be aware that water depth and wall height are two different measurements. (The water height is 6 inches less than the often advertised/sold wall height).

3.5 ft is too shallow for most swimmers doing laps, so I'd vote for 4 ft minimum.

Reactions: proavia
Many times people with young kids tend to build their pools too shallow and end up regretting it. What is the depth of the shallow end and deepest part of the pool?

Do you have a drawing and list of proposed equipment? I like the idea of a flush hot tub since raised ones can obstruct your view of the kids swimming.

The water depth ranges from 3.5' to 6' deep. The water depths are noted on the drawing. The majority of the pool is 4' deep, but it is 6' deep in the center, and it goes to 3.5' deep on the right end. My thinking was that young kids would mainly stay on the right side near the sun shelf (and playground which will be to the right of the pool).

Maybe 3.5' is too shallow? Less water will be less expensive to heat, but I of course want it to be comfortable and functional.

Be aware that water depth and wall height are two different measurements. (The water height is 6 inches less than the often advertised/sold wall height).

3.5 ft is too shallow for most swimmers doing laps, so I'd vote for 4 ft minimum.

Thanks for the thoughts. When you say you vote for 4 ft minimum, are you referring to the water height or pool deck height?

Thanks for adding the drawing. Here are my 2 cents:

- I like that most of the pool is 4ft (assuming that is true water depth), that is a good depth for adults to comfortably stand. 6 feet deep is good for jumping (but no diving)
- 3.5' is going to be uncomfortably shallow when swimming or trying to stand. Our pool is 3'8" at the shallow part and I wish we would have started at 4'.
- You know kids are going to jump off of the spa wall, so I would rather them be jumping into something a bit deeper there
- Your lights are facing the house, which is typically a no-no as they will be shining in your eyes when sitting in the spa or in the house. I would put them all along the wall closest to the house facing the back wall.

Reactions: Newdude
When you say you vote for 4 ft minimum, are you referring to the water height or pool deck height?
Water height. I have 4 ft wall height / 3.5 actual and hate it. It's too shallow to comfortably bob around, yet too deep to sit. It's also uncomfortable to kneel so I do this akward mostly kneeling kinda leaning back floating thing and it just feels wrong. :ROFLMAO:. I'd also wrap my knuckles on the floor if I swam competition style. (Long story I knew what I was building and did it anyway).

IMO above ground pools got it right at 52 inches. It feels swim-y even though you can easily stand.

With 2 kids not even on their way yet, it'll be 10 years before they can all stand in an above ground pool depth, so while I normally advise making long term plans with short term thoughts, I would at least consider considering it. But then again I'd just suit all the kids up in puddle jumpers and throw them in my deep pool. They'll LOVE it eventually. Trust me. 😁

And actually, my little one was a certified fish about a year and a half before she could stand in my 1st pool. She'd spring from the bottom breaking the surface like some majestic dolphin and grasp a breath before reverting back to submarine mode. So they won't even need the puddle jumpers all that long.

Such a well thought out pool!! Something for everyone.

I also vote for nothing less than 4' WATER depth. The water depth is from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer open. Some people use the word "depth" and measure it from the bottom of the pool to the bottom of the coping. If that is used you lose quite a few inches of water depth.

Bench seating in the corner opposite the sun shelf: 12" below waterline
12" is very shallow. You'll need deeper water if you want to sit comfortably.

Water depth: Ranging from 3.5 to 6' deep
Highly recommend 4' for the shallow part of the main pool. 6' is an awkward depth since it's too deep for people to stand, but too shallow for diving, etc.. I'd suggest 5' for the "deeper" part or commit to a true deep section of the pool.

Have all the lights face away from the house or main seating area. Install a light on the sun shelf. Move or add lights to illuminate both sets of steps (the wedding cake steps will be very dark at night).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You do not want Pentair Globrite lights. They have major reliability problems, fail within a few years, and are not repairable. Also Globrite lights are in a size no other lights fit into.

Use Pentair Microbrite lights that are a bit more reliable but still have reliability issues.

You do not want a return so close to a skimmer as shown on the right side.

You want skimmers and returns as far apart as possible for good water circulation.

You do not want a return so close to a skimmer as shown on the right side.

You want skimmers and returns as far apart as possible for good water circulation.
Thank you for the tip! I'll bring this up with the person who drafted this plan. May I ask what you think about the number of skimmers and returns drawn for our pool?

12" is very shallow. You'll need deeper water if you want to sit comfortably.

Highly recommend 4' for the shallow part of the main pool. 6' is an awkward depth since it's too deep for people to stand, but too shallow for diving, etc.. I'd suggest 5' for the "deeper" part or commit to a true deep section of the pool.

Have all the lights face away from the house or main seating area. Install a light on the sun shelf. Move or add lights to illuminate both sets of steps (the wedding cake steps will be very dark at night).
Great ideas. I really appreciate your help. That's a great idea to add a light on the sun shelf and near steps.

What do you think about the number of lights drawn for our pool? I'm not sure how many lights would be required for a pool this size.

Such a well thought out pool!! Something for everyone.

I also vote for nothing less than 4' WATER depth. The water depth is from the bottom of the pool to the middle of the skimmer open. Some people use the word "depth" and measure it from the bottom of the pool to the bottom of the coping. If that is used you lose quite a few inches of water depth.
Thank you! That's nice of you to say. And I will reconsider the pool depth, as you and some others have suggested. Thank you.

Thank you for the tip! I'll bring this up with the person who drafted this plan. May I ask what you think about the number of skimmers and returns drawn for our pool?
At least 2 skimmers and 3-4 returns.

I would simply place the 2 skimmers sling one long wall into the prevailing winds and returns along the other long wall. This promotes circulation across the oil.

Great ideas. I really appreciate your help. That's a great idea to add a light on the sun shelf and near steps.

What do you think about the number of lights drawn for our pool? I'm not sure how many lights would be required for a pool this size.
Depends on the lights being used…

Pentair guideline is to aim for 4 lumens per square foot of pool surface. For example, if the pool is 500 sq-ft then you need 500x4=2000 lumens. This would be 4 MicroBrites or 2 IntelliBrite rgb.

Pentair_Light_Comparison.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.