My new build plan (NJ) - feedback welcome!

On a shallow pool 6ft or less I like to make the hopper 4ft not 6ft. I add the 2 ft to the shallow end or the angle makes the slope less for standing or bigger shallow area. Full length steps take alot of room up but you have a 20ft wide so not crucial like a smaller width pool. Otherwise looks good. Be aware with square corners you will have some liner bulge theres no way around it look at pics on forum to see what that looks like.

Question regarding a winter install: Town permits took a bit longer than expected. Temps are now regularly in the 30s/40s. I don't want to install a vinyl liner with these temps, but is it possible to dig the hole, run all the pipes, and install the pool equipment now, but wait till march/april to finish the floor and install the liner? We won't need to use the backyard during the winter, so I don't mind looking at a construction site. Any downside to this, or is it better to wait until spring to do it all together?

You don’t want to waste months of your equipment warranty starting the equipment install date very early. You also don’t want new equipment sitting outside in the weather unnecessarily.

All the digging can be done in a few days. You don’t save much by doing it now. Get locked into the schedule for starting the build in April and you should be swimming by the time the weather is warm.

Last edited:
The pool itself seems high. I'm across the border, just north of the Allentown area. I attached a copy of our estimate (pool was completed in Oct). Kind of hard to follow, but the pool itself was $17,500. Our 2 Roman steps added a good chunk ($8500 total). Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten the 2 main drain system. (We didn't get the solar cover and reel from the PB either). Electric was 3k and water was 1.2k. Salt system was $2.1k.

Glad you're going 20x40. I wish we would have.

Re: the slope. Our yard was pretty flat. Or so I thought. We did not get fancy drawings, and were quite shocked at how much of a drop off we had. We wound up doing a boulder wall for the drop.

The pics won't load for me, but go for a shallow end of 3.5-4' though. We went with 3' because it was too late to change it by the time I read all the comments here about that being TOO shallow. And it def is.

Capture.JPG

Hi all, quick update. Construction began last week. Pics below

As a reminder:
- 20x40 vinly with 6' bench at deep end
- 2 skimmers and 5 returns (2 on each side of steps and 3 on opposite side of skimmers)
- Deep end bench has jets, where returns can be directed there instead of pool
- 4 globrites all along one of side of pool (facing away from house)

Equipment getting installed next week. Liner company is now closed due to COVID (looploc in Long island) so will wait on that and get everything else done without water in the pool.

Let me know if any questions/concerns.

IMG_20200316_095827.jpg

IMG_20200316_104235.jpg

IMG_20200316_152643.jpg

IMG_20200325_100920.jpg

IMG_20200325_170508.jpg

IMG_20200326_143758.jpg

IMG_20200326_143759.jpg

IMG_20200326_143810.jpg

IMG_20200326_143813.jpg

IMG_20200326_143927.jpg

WHAT?? Oh yea! So glad they got started! Sad about the liner though but it is what it is so move on with what you can.

That is a pile of dirt for sure!!!! Will you be doing the decking and all during this wait for the liner?

You might want to go ahead and order your test kit as once the liner gets there you will want to get the water in and balanced. Look in my siggy for the one I think is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use the most often.

Kim:kim:

Yes my plan is to get everything backfilled (with gravel vs. dirt), coping done, all regrading work done and maybe even the patio while waiting for the liner. The pool build itself is moving very fast. There’s only 4 full days of work shown in the pics above.

I think my PB will handle getting the water balanced initially (he also services pools). But I will order the TF-100 you recommend to balance going forward.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Exciting times at your place! Looks like they are the king of over-digging. What will their fill material be?

Looks good so far. I agree on the overdig that is excessive. Ideally you want to disturb as little as possible. I've never seen a pipe trench to pad that wide. It's very hard to compact next to a liner pool. If hes going to backfill with gravel hes gonna need hundreds of yards of stone. Is the collar concrete in? I see some concrete in the stair corner

You get what you pay for. You're numbers are about right and no matter what, chances your project will go over budget. But If you have a builder you are comfortable with and he comes with good references, build your dream backyard and start enjoying your family memories. Worth every cent.

Yes it was a lot of overdig. Took 6 trucks of rca to fill it back up (not cheap). Compacted in layers. Won't settle. The rest of the dirt we used to regrade the backyard to make it flatter.

Pool equipment is all placed on pad, ready to go. Heat pump is massive.

Next up, is bonding and electrical. Electrician quote is $5k for bonding, wiring up heat pump to main panel (30' run across my unfinished basement), 4 globrites, intellicenter and rest of equipment. Seems crazy high to me, but maybe that's right for NJ?

Yes I like my PB and he is doing a good job so far.

Last edited:
Not trying to party poop I'm rooting for u....Very hard to compact properly next to a steel wall pool. RCA is cheapest fill avail (5 bucks a ton) hope he didnt whack u hard. I would be careful on that backfill in all honesty. If I was dealing with that I'd have gotten the liner and water in it and compact with a sheeps foot roller in lifts. That's why clean stone is the best way its 90+ percent out of the bucket. Have him guarantee no settlement of overdig or he fixes it on his dime. Good news is you will be swimming for summer! Electrician is pretty standard they all want top dollar for pool work and it's a pain to do nicheless lights

All backfilled and concrete collar is done. Bluestone coping going in next week. Electrical mostly done.

Picked vinly liner - Loop Loc's opalescent blues. Hope it's a good choice since we had to decide based only on pictures.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.