muriatic acid mistake

Michaelg90

Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
I’m a new pool owner. I just had a pool installed in January. I have a 14,500 sqft pool and have stonescape midnight blue pebble throughout the pool. Last week I noticed the Ph was off 7.8 and needed to be lowered so I put some acid in the pool (little less than half gallon) and make the mistake of not having the pool running as it was turning on in 10 minutes and was running late. Not thinking of the response I left the house and after coming back and looking at the pool I noticed the pool had some blotches on the bottom near the main drain. I’m scared I just ruined our brand new pool and am beside myself and need some guidance. Where should I go from here and what are my options to fix this?

Thank you for your help. I can provide any information in addition if necessary. I have attached some photos below.

Attachments

• 19D6FECC-CA72-4049-8D28-C7AFDF786727.jpeg
    19D6FECC-CA72-4049-8D28-C7AFDF786727.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
You must pour muriatic acid into the pool at the return of water. With pump running.

No idea if the spots are related. Are you adding any kind of solid products to the pool? Dichlor, calcium, etc? In that area?

If the muriatic acid settled on the bottom it could have impacted the finish. Is that area rough compared to the other areas?

How are you testing your water chemistry?

Can you fill out a signature? Helps us help you.

No at the moment just reacting to ph level via soda ash or acid based on result. I have a pool test kit from Leslie’s that tests chlorine and PH levels and every two weeks I take the water to them for a deeper analysis.

What options are there to resolve a discoloration like that?

No-drain acid wash?
Drain acid wash?
Other options

I’m a nervous wreck as this is only a month old and I’m so scared there is no solution.

Last edited:
I suggest you review the links I provided above. What that pool contractor said does not make sense. All additions are based on testing. Your own testing. And you NEVER add metal based products to a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Merged threads - TFP Mod Marty

I’m a new pool owner. I just had a pool installed in January. I have a 14,500 sqft pool and have stonescape midnight blue pebble throughout the pool. Last week I noticed the Ph was off 7.8 and needed to be lowered so I put some acid in the pool (little less than half gallon) and make the mistake of not having the pool running as it was turning on in 10 minutes and was running late. Not thinking of the response I left the house and after coming back and looking at the pool I noticed the pool had some blotches on the bottom near the main drain. I’m scared I just ruined our brand new pool and am beside myself and need some guidance. Where should I go from here and what are my options to fix this?

Thank you for your help. I can provide any information in addition if necessary. I have attached some photos below.

Attachments

• 6AAC136E-2154-4D36-9AFD-39D9BB861145.jpeg
    6AAC136E-2154-4D36-9AFD-39D9BB861145.jpeg
    650.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 4794235B-9ACE-4192-89E6-5068439C5539.jpeg
    4794235B-9ACE-4192-89E6-5068439C5539.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 259C7D85-6034-409B-8BC8-E8D78F8AF20A.jpeg
    259C7D85-6034-409B-8BC8-E8D78F8AF20A.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 51
I think you mean 14,500 gallons. Also I don't think that small amount of acid could be in concentrated enough form by the time it hit the bottom to cause that discoloration. Pool finished discolor it is a sad fact of the finish. Keep up on your water monitoring with a proper test kit, the TF-100. Leslie testing is not accurate, not repeatable, and will result in a wholly miserable pool experience. Do yourself a favor and don't have them test anymore. Buy the below ASAP! You need PROPER testing to be successful!

Also PLEASE fill out your signature line! Link above!

Test Kits

Reactions: Mbkemp
That is pretty normal color variation. I don't think your addition of MA did it. Plaster is a natural material that will develop some color variation as it cures.

As others have suggested, get the TF-100 test kt and take control of your water testing. Relying on pool stores will only get you into trouble over time.

Relax and enjoy your new pool.

I appreciate the responses. It is surprising that you say that’s normal because that wasn’t there prior to the incident so it’s hard to just sit back and relax. I understand that Leslie’s doesn’t do the best job so I did order a Taylor set the K-1003 as that tests PH, FC, And Alk. The rest I figured don’t need as freq monitoring and could be tested at Leslie’s or another store on a monthly basis.

I did do a low 7 PH and 70 Alk bath for 5 days which blended it better but I assume overtime this will work it’s way out.

Thank you.

the K-1003 test kit is not sufficient to manage your pool water chemistry. Two items of significance is FC (the OTO is TC) and CYA (pool stores get that test wrong the most.

I strongly recommend you consider getting a proper test kit as described in early posts.

I appreciate the responses. It is surprising that you say that’s normal because that wasn’t there prior to the incident so it’s hard to just sit back and relax. I understand that Leslie’s doesn’t do the best job so I did order a Taylor set the K-1003 as that tests PH, FC, And Alk. The rest I figured don’t need as freq monitoring and could be tested at Leslie’s or another store on a monthly basis.

CYA is a critical test if you are going to follow TFPC methods and set your FC level based on the FC/CYA Chart. Only your own testing will know that it is accurate, consistent, and reliable. You can get the CYA test alone here - CYA (Cyanuric Acid) Test

The Taylor K-1003 test kit does not do the FAS/DPD chlorine test. It cannot test for FC higher then 5. It is not sutable for following TFPC methods that require higher FC levels. You can buy the FAS DPD test alone here - FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test

For the cost of those two tests you really should just get the full TF-100 Test Kits if you intend to follow the pool care methods advocated here.

Last edited:
I rarely ever need to add acid but when I do, I very carefully measure/pour the amount needed then slowly
pour that into a 2 gallon bucket with pool water already in it, then pour that slowly over a return with the pump running.
That way I have piece of mind there will be no harm to the surface. (vinyl in my case but beneficial to any surface).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.