muriatic acid mistake

Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
I’m a new pool owner. I just had a pool installed in January. I have a 14,500 sqft pool and have stonescape midnight blue pebble throughout the pool. Last week I noticed the Ph was off 7.8 and needed to be lowered so I put some acid in the pool (little less than half gallon) and make the mistake of not having the pool running as it was turning on in 10 minutes and was running late. Not thinking of the response I left the house and after coming back and looking at the pool I noticed the pool had some blotches on the bottom near the main drain. I’m scared I just ruined our brand new pool and am beside myself and need some guidance. Where should I go from here and what are my options to fix this?

Thank you for your help. I can provide any information in addition if necessary. I have attached some photos below.

Attachments

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
You must pour muriatic acid into the pool at the return of water. With pump running.

No idea if the spots are related. Are you adding any kind of solid products to the pool? Dichlor, calcium, etc? In that area?

mknauss

Mod Squad
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
If the muriatic acid settled on the bottom it could have impacted the finish. Is that area rough compared to the other areas?

How are you testing your water chemistry?

Can you fill out a signature? Helps us help you.

OP
OP
M
Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
No at the moment just reacting to ph level via soda ash or acid based on result. I have a pool test kit from Leslie’s that tests chlorine and PH levels and every two weeks I take the water to them for a deeper analysis.

What options are there to resolve a discoloration like that?

No-drain acid wash?
Drain acid wash?
Other options

I’m a nervous wreck as this is only a month old and I’m so scared there is no solution.

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I suggest you review the links I provided above. What that pool contractor said does not make sense. All additions are based on testing. Your own testing. And you NEVER add metal based products to a pool.

OP
OP
M
Mar 10, 2019
Orlando
Merged threads - TFP Mod Marty

I’m a new pool owner. I just had a pool installed in January. I have a 14,500 sqft pool and have stonescape midnight blue pebble throughout the pool. Last week I noticed the Ph was off 7.8 and needed to be lowered so I put some acid in the pool (little less than half gallon) and make the mistake of not having the pool running as it was turning on in 10 minutes and was running late. Not thinking of the response I left the house and after coming back and looking at the pool I noticed the pool had some blotches on the bottom near the main drain. I’m scared I just ruined our brand new pool and am beside myself and need some guidance. Where should I go from here and what are my options to fix this?

Thank you for your help. I can provide any information in addition if necessary. I have attached some photos below.

Attachments

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
I think you mean 14,500 gallons. Also I don't think that small amount of acid could be in concentrated enough form by the time it hit the bottom to cause that discoloration. Pool finished discolor it is a sad fact of the finish. Keep up on your water monitoring with a proper test kit, the TF-100. Leslie testing is not accurate, not repeatable, and will result in a wholly miserable pool experience. Do yourself a favor and don't have them test anymore. Buy the below ASAP! You need PROPER testing to be successful!

Also PLEASE fill out your signature line! Link above!

Test Kits

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
That is pretty normal color variation. I don't think your addition of MA did it. Plaster is a natural material that will develop some color variation as it cures.

As others have suggested, get the TF-100 test kt and take control of your water testing. Relying on pool stores will only get you into trouble over time.

Relax and enjoy your new pool.