Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I wanted to document this on the forum threads since this issue got diagnosed and solved via PM. First, let me give total credit to our esteemed forum expert @JamesW for helping me to diagnose, test and fix this heater issue. James' help saved me from calling in a "pool service" guy and spending large amounts of cash for what amounted to a $10 fix.

Problem - Heater would fail to ignite after three attempts and "Service Heater" LED would light up. Flipping the top over and there were no service codes at all lit up on the back of the heater input panel. If I shut the heater down and tried again, sometimes it would light up on the 4th try or it would cycle three times again and error out. When the heater would run, the only other issue would be that the stack flue temperature was a little on the low side (280F). So, what to do?

After contacting @JamesW, he had me check a few things that were important. First and foremost was to make sure that the heater was getting enough gas pressure and that it was also utilizing enough gas as well. I got the heater to ignite and let it run for 1 hour while checking the start and stop volumes on my gas service meter. A MasterTemp 400 is a 400,000 BTU/hr heater and so it should use 400 cu. ft of natural gas in one hour. I checked the start and stop volumes on the meter (making sure nothing else in the house was using gas) and, sure enough I used about 425 cu ft or so (this is an older style meter with dial gauges on them so getting an exact start/stop value is a bit tricky). So the heater is using lots of gas.

James also suggested checking the inlet and manifold pressures on the internal regulator of the heater as outlined in the MasterTemp owners manual. I got a differential manometer that reads in inches of water column (" W.C.) but did not have all the tubing and tee's I needed to do all the checks. However, I did have the fittings and tubing to at least check the supply (inlet) pressure. Static pressure with no heater running was 7.8"to 8.2" wc and that would drop down to 4.8" wc on startup but recover to about 5.8" wc. So the static pressure drop of 2" was within spec and the heater needs an inlet pressure between 4" to 14" wc. I did not check the manifold pressure as outlined in the owners manual which should read -0.2" wc if you have your tubing and manometer correctly connected but I assumed that since I had enough volume flow and the pressures were in spec, the manifold pressure was probably ok. I'll eventually check that out of curiosity.

At the same time, James also had me check the flame sensor current on the Fenwal controller which just requires hooking up a True RMS multimeter with DC microamp readout across the FC+ and FC- pins. For a properly functioning flame rectifier, the current should read above 2uA DC. I did that measurement at the same time I measured the pressures and when the heater fired it cycled 2 times and then lit on the third try. Each time it tried to light and failed, the flame current would start at 0uA and struggle to reach 1.0uA. The heater will only wait about 1.5secs for the flame rectifier to read correctly before it shuts down assuming the heater did not ignite. On the third and final attempt, the flame rectifier did jump up past 1.0uA and then held steady above 2uA. So that leads to the issue being with the flame sensor.

As it turns out, this is a known-issue with Pentair heaters (and possibly others) where the flame rectifier has trouble sending out a signal. The reason being is in the details of the circuitry and flame rectification (covered in the links below) but essentially the flame rectifier is sending a DC current from the flame sensor to ground and the Fenwal controller measures that. However, if the connection to ground is poor due to corrosion or loose contacts or age, then the Fenwal can't distinguish between a bad pathway to ground or a failed sensor or a flame that does not ignite. Following James' advice, I installed an extra ground wire as per the Pentair technical bulletin and made sure the contacts were nice and clean. Sure enough, after doing that, the heater ignited on the first try and the current reading between FC+ and FC- started out at around 0.2uA and then jumped immediately over 2uA on ignition and settled solidly into 4.2uA as the heater was running.

Problem solved - bad ground path for the flame sensor.

Here are the links that @JamesW sent me that helped me with the issue -

Heater Flame Sensing - Further Reading

https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/extranet/product-related/product-manuals/pool-and-spa-equipment/mastertemp/MasterTemp_Pool_and_Spa_Heater_Installation_and_Users_Guide_English.pdf

Last edited:
Glad to hear one of the benefits of a TFP Expert is getting private consultations without the commentary of the peanut gallery distracting you. :roll:

Glad to hear one of the benefits of a TFP Expert is getting private consultations without the commentary of the peanut gallery distracting you. :roll:

I hear @JamesW is like a lawyer and I’ll be getting a billed for services-rendered in 1/10th hour increments .... so maybe I’ll regret not availing myself of the peanut gallery ?

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
There are lots of great benefits to being a TFP expert.

They include:

1) Unlimited air travel on a fleet of private jets.
2) Unlimited gourmet food prepared by a world class chef.
3) Unlimited health care at any hospital or doctor including secret cures to any disease.
4) $100 Million dollars in salary and bonuses.
5) A new company car whenever we want with no limit.
6) Unlimited private consultations with any expert on any subject.
7) Top secret clearance.

There are also 23 "top secret" benefits that we can't talk about.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Perhaps some one out in the peanut gallery would like to comment on this -

Should I see if my gas company will bump up my gas pressure?

Details - my gas line run is rather extensive. My meter is out front by the garage. The gas company installed a larger meter and tee’d my pool gas line of the low pressure side before the pipe that goes into the house. The gas line that runs to the pool is about 150’ long and 2” in diameter. See these pics -

FED8BD67-4DFE-4711-A726-DEF8A0FBB292.jpeg
D3995279-E8D6-4885-B7A8-431B2FBBAC81.jpeg

(...and just shut-it about the corrosion, I know the galvanized pipe needs repainting! )

About 50ft before that gas line day lights to the pool heater, there is a tee in the line that diverts a 1” buried gas line to my BBQ and fire pit. It’s very rare that id be running all three gas “appliances” at once and I’m sure if I did it would probably trip the pool heater since the fire pit is basically an open line when I turn it on (there’s a flow limiter for safety but no regulator as far as I know).

So my question is - would my flue stack temperature (and combustion chamber temp) benefit from more gas pressure? Am I running to lean a gas mixture? I’m currently running at 5” wc but thought maybe if I could get closer to 7” or 9” that would be better. All of my house appliances (HVAC, water heaters, stove top) run fine. I have no idea what the gas pressure is right at the meter but thought maybe it was an inch or two higher just because of the run length.

Thoughts? Peanuts? (I prefer wasabi-soy almonds myself) ....

The color of your flames will tell you if you have a good fuel/air mixture. When burning natural gas, the burner flames should be almost completely blue with possibly a small hint of yellow in the center of the flame. Let the look of the flame guide you if it can use improvement.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
The color of your flames will tell you if you have a good fuel/air mixture. When burning natural gas, the burner flames should be almost completely blue with possibly a small hint of yellow in the center of the flame. Let the look of the flame guide you if it can use improvement.

That I understand and when dealing with my BBQ, it's easy to see the flame color. The problem is my pool heater - there's no way to see the flame color (as far as I know). SO my questions was, based on my flue stack temperature of 280F (which is considered "LOW" by Pentair but not something that would cause a shutdown), would increasing the supply pressure improve the flame temperature? Or, since the heater is technically 7 years old, should I just live with the cooler flue stack temp?

You're not going to be able to see the flame in this type of heater.

As long as the total amount of gas used is correct and the inlet gas pressure stays good during operation, you probably won't benefit from increasing the gas pressure.

You can check the manifold pressure to verify that it's good.

You can check the manifold pressure to verify that it's good.

That's definitely on the list of to-do's but I need to get different tubing. The manifold vent connection is a 90 deg elbow that is 1/8" NPT x 1/4" barb. It's definitely not 1/8" barb. So I need to get some 1/4" poly tubing and a 1/4" brass or nylon tee so I can make the tee'd connection to the vent line. The manifold pressure tap is 1/8" NPT that I can use my 1/8" not x 1/8" barb connector on. So that's not an issue. Just need to find the tubing and tee. Ace Hardware failed me on the tubing....

For anyone interested in the test configuration, page 15 has the details - https://www.pentair.com/content/dam...ater_Installation_and_Users_Guide_English.pdf

Matt,

No wonder you've been AWOL! James did it again! And glad you were able to do this with good diagnostics instead of luck based trial and error of replacing expensive parts. Sad to see this still happens to a lot of frustrated owners.

Would be interesting to hear about any follow up you do on the gas consumption. For gas heaters in plants we used to do oxygen analysis of the exhaust gas to optimize. If you have in your chemistry lab a way to analyze for O2 in the exhaust you should be able to adjust gas pressure to control to 3-5%. This should be close to optimum. Trick is to provide enough air to burn all the gas without going too high since this just sends more heat out and up the stack.

Chris

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt,

No wonder you've been AWOL! James did it again! And glad you were able to do this with good diagnostics instead of luck based trial and error of replacing expensive parts. Sad to see this still happens to a lot of frustrated owners.

Would be interesting to hear about any follow up you do on the gas consumption. For gas heaters in plants we used to do oxygen analysis of the exhaust gas to optimize. If you have in your chemistry lab a way to analyze for O2 in the exhaust you should be able to adjust gas pressure to control to 3-5%. This should be close to optimum. Trick is to provide enough air to burn all the gas without going too high since this just sends more heat out and up the stack.

Chris

I want to convert to hydrogen gas so I can get that intense flame heat and save the planet at the same time!! However, I think I'd have to upgrade the heat exchanger to one made of Unobtainium which I hear is a little pricey and hard to come by ... :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.