Marcite plaster pebble finish goes in tomorrow - advice/links would be appreciated

Feb 22, 2017
Tampa
Apologies in advance for the lame/lazy request. :)

I learned yesterday that our pool company had an opening and can get the marcite, plaster, pebble finish completed tomorrow (originally it was scheduled end of November). Of course I jumped on it, immediately cancelled work plans, booked a flight, and am heading home now. Unfortunately I haven't done any research on this step and was hoping the TFP collective could point me in the right direction. I'll be searching/sleuthing around on the flight, but any help/links would be appreciated. i'll b hovering the entire time so hopefully any issues that arise we can handle immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

DARN!!!

I was planning to do all the first week maintenance myself, but I literally have no tools to maintain/clean the pool. I may need to hire a pool service. :(

Maybe I didn't think the reschedule through. :(

Hi Manny, someone in the know will be along soon. All you will need immediately is a brush. Ask your Pb if they are providing one. If not grab one. Order your test kit (from one of the two recommended on here). Is the Pb doing start up? There is an article that is linked to frequently here re plaster day and what to look for. I’m not sure if I can link it for you. If you do a search you should be able to find it.

Got ya covered!

Here is a set of links I put together to help you get the best, longest lasting plaster you can hope to:

How to set up to have the best plaster job: A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes

Brief snap shots of different start ups: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Full run down on the best BUT hardest start up: A Bicarb Start-up guide for TFP members

Next best start up BUT it leaves out to NOT put water in the pool right away. Wait at least 6 hours after plaster is put in before putting water in! The back of the card is what you want: google "NPC start up card". (I can't link to pdf files for some reason.)

Make sure to share this info with your pool builder!

You can get one of the cheap PH test kits at Walmart until your good test kit comes in. That and a brush and you are set!

Kim:kim:

Manny, I would love your TRUE feed back about the above links and info. This is something new I put together and would love some feed back. Too much? Not enough? Easy to follow/understand? Helpful?

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim! The head sales guy for my PB left to another PB half way through our job. I have a great relationship with him and keep frequent contact since he's building our outdoor kitchen. When I mentioned the plastering watch list his response was essentially "NOPE". A pool builder and/or plaster Co. would never commit to those terms, they are too onerous, they undervalue the art in the trade, and candidly there's enough work that it's easy to turn away customers who will inevitably end up being PITAs. So although there are strong technical points that should be followed, good luck finding someone to commit.

I did ask the fox guarding the hen house, so bias is to be expected. LOL

And the fun begins. Le sigh...

Wife just sent me these pictures. Marcite went in yesterday, acid and pressure washing is today. I'm livid. Called the PB and they said the acid and pressure wash should eliminate all the chalking, blemishing, feathering, etc., but I'm highly skeptical. Is it time to lawyer up?

This is supposed to be Stonescape mini pebble aqua blue.

y64giRs.jpg

50NgR3j.jpg

uwHwDyH.jpg

47DTdiK.jpg

okyPZbg.jpg

Not sure about marcite, but the acid wash on my mini pebble revealed it’s true beauty. There wasn’t much in the way of pebble to be seen until the acid wash. Think of it like grouting tiles. It looks like a huge mess until you wipe the excess grout off. Having said that, with a coloured surface like this I think you would be wise to expect some mottling/patchiness. It is work of art and it won’t be perfect. We picked the safest mini pebble colour and ended up with some streaking down the bench in the deep in. I wasn’t home when they acid washed and began to fill but was watching them on camera. They left the hose in the middle of the deep end. By the time I got home an hour later it was in the corner near the bench pointing up like a fountain. Not really the plasterers fault and I really wish I had been home but it is what it is and I try to see it as our pool’s birth mark. It will really take a good month to see the final product of your interior, so don’t panic... yet! I love your description of the fox guarding the hen house. Sums it up perfectly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct they acid and pressure washed the pool then filled it. Pool looks significantly better, but I’m not home to inspect.

I hope it’s just a valve issue that’s allowing the water to drain in the pool, unfortunately we’re kind of going blind cause the orientation is tomorrow and my wife can’t figure out what valves to to manipulate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.