losing my patience

I am in week 3 of slamming this stupid pool. It has gone from nearly black to a beautiful lime green color. I can not get it any clearer. what can I do to clear up this pool before I drain it and put it on the curb?
Back story: Semi-new pool owners. The first winter we covered it and used the pill to winterize so the opening was a breeze. This winter my husband didn't feel like covering it so this is the first time we are dealing with this mess. Before starting the slam, we drained it half way and refilled. We backwash as needed and brush as much as we can.
Today's results:
FC-22 - Chlorine usually holds within 1ppm overnight.
CC- ran out of drops but they should be here by the end of the week.
PH- 7.4 before SLAM- Should I test again?
CYA- 55 (as of a few days ago - ran out of drops but they should be here by the end of the week

24X52 ABG- with sand filter

Sounds like your SLAM of the algae has gone well.

Now, do you get your water from a well? Green water can be iron, or it can be copper if more of a clear, emerald green. Have you used any products lately that had copper in them? Algaecide or other products with the word blue in them?

Can you fill out your signature? See mine below for an example. Click on your Member name and go to Signature.

Do you mind taking a picture of the current state of your pool?

With a CYA of 60 (it's not 55 (round up) as the scale on this tube is logarithmic. So round up. Use CYA of 60. SLAM level of 24. Once you get your CC solution, state your results here. You also can't test for pH when your FC is above 10. You're pH won't be accurate. Wait until your FC falls within normal range. However, in the mean time, SLAM your pool at 24. Don't give up. Not yet. From your message, it looks like the pool is clearing up. Continue to Vacuum and Brush... Brush.... Brush

If all doesn't go well, then you may want to check for Copper. Not sure if you may have indirectly added something to your pool that may contain copper or iron.

City water- no well- I only use 10% liquid chlorine. I follow TFP Pool math for dosing so I only put what it tells me too (no fancy mixes). I didn' know that about rounding up for CYA. The PH was tested and balanced to 7.4 before slam started and I haven't checked it since. Isn't she lovely!
0424190938.jpg0424190938_HDR.jpg

That still looks quite cloudy. Can you take a picture of your pool brush on the bottom of the pool?

Sand filters are going to take a lot more time verses a DE filter like I have. I cleared my swamp in record time in 2 years. The first time 2 days n this second time a week. I diligently removed all leaf debris from the bottom of the pool beforehand. This is very, very important. You are going to need to be patient with your sand filter as it will take a long time for it to filter.

I take back my post #2! From your initial description I took you had a clear, lime green pool.

As Casey said -- SLAM. You have a lot of algae. Be sure to test FC and add chlorine back to SLAM FC every couple hours.

Reactions: splashpad
City water- no well- I only use 10% liquid chlorine. I follow TFP Pool math for dosing so I only put what it tells me too (no fancy mixes). I didn' know that about rounding up for CYA. The PH was tested and balanced to 7.4 before slam started and I haven't checked it since. Isn't she lovely!
  • Everyone else has hit the other points so just quick summary :)
    • (your PH will read false high with FC/10+) (CYA/60+)
  • New question:
    • How frequently are you able to test & raise your FC?
      • The more frequently you can test & raise, the faster it goes,
    • Are you running the pump 24/7 (sorry if I missed that)
  • SLAM = Shock Level AND Maintain :D
    • Also are you able to vacuum and/or manually get "solids" out of the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm back with improvement but yet another stalemate. We have cleared up considerably since figuring out to round the CYA up and began shocking at a higher level of chlorine. Between the constant backwashing and Thursday's crazy rain, our CYA bottomed out. Friday I got the CYA to 50 and have been brushing at least once a day but sometimes twice. The first pic is this morning and the second pic is Friday morning. There has been no change. Why has progress stopped? Would adding DE to my sand filter help get this moving? School resumes tomorrow and I have spent my entire spring break on cleaning the pool instead of swimming in it. Needless to say, the kids are not happy.
Today's test:
CC- 3
FC- 20
TA- 44
CH- 10
CYA- 50
0428191255.jpg 0427191145.jpg

I'm back with improvement but yet another stalemate. We have cleared up considerably since figuring out to round the CYA up and began shocking at a higher level of chlorine. Between the constant backwashing and Thursday's crazy rain, our CYA bottomed out. Friday I got the CYA to 50 and have been brushing at least once a day but sometimes twice. The first pic is this morning and the second pic is Friday morning. There has been no change. Why has progress stopped? Would adding DE to my sand filter help get this moving? School resumes tomorrow and I have spent my entire spring break on cleaning the pool instead of swimming in it. Needless to say, the kids are not happy.
Today's test:
CC- 3
FC- 20
TA- 44
CH- 10
CYA- 50

If your CYA goes away again, you can add enough for CYA/30, it lowers your FC targets significantly while in SLAM Process.

Pool Owner Patience is the hardest part of green to clean pool :D There are many posts/stories on the forum of successful swamp SLAM Processs (you can search swamp, green pool, etc) to hopefully boost your willpower!

The more often you can raise FC and brush, the faster it will clear!

I wouldn't add DE until you have a cloudy blue pool :) Otherwise your filter pressure will likely rise too fast.

I am not sure what you mean...."CYA bottomed out"?? Your CYA is stable in the pool and you should have very little variation. It is NOT a consumable. That said, your FC certainly is......is that what you mean?

Secondly, your CC reading of 3 ppm tells us you have a pretty long ways to go. Grit your teeth and go forward. You have no real other options. Keep your FC up at SLAM value and clarify to us what you mean on the CYA

Reactions: Casey
I am not sure what you mean...."CYA bottomed out"?? Your CYA is stable in the pool and you should have very little variation. It is NOT a consumable. That said, your FC certainly is......is that what you mean?

Secondly, your CC reading of 3 ppm tells us you have a pretty long ways to go. Grit your teeth and go forward. You have no real other options. Keep your FC up at SLAM value and clarify to us what you mean on the CYA
After losing so much water to backwashing (I had to add water to keep the water level high enough to run the pump) and the tremendous amount of rain, Friday when I tested my water, the dot never disappeared; not even remotely. I have generally done a full set of tests at least once a week. Last test my CYA registered at 55. I am not sure what happened but can only assume that the addition of fresh water and rainwater played a part in the test results.

Can you also verify how often you are testing FC and CC. How often are you adding chlorine?
I am testing both FC and CC about every hour. I add chlorine as determined by the test results. Sometimes the chlorine doesn't drop. Other times It drops 2-4 ppm. Once the sun goes down, I stop testing until morning. And generally the first test in the morning is only 2-4 ppm low

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.