Looking for advice on first build in NH

Matt_nh

Jan 13, 2021
NH
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting. Looking to start a build this fall. Just got my first quote and wanted to see what people thought of the pricing and what options are worth the money to add. Any advice would be appreciated and I will be getting more quotes. I’m in Seacoast NH, so if anyone can recommend builders, I’d appreciate it.

1.) Install 18’ x 38’ custom shaped gunite swimming pool 3’6” to 8’ in depth (approx. 580 sq. ft.)
 (1) Pentair high-efficiency WhisperFlo circulation pump with hair and lint trap
 (2) Pentair surface skimmers
 (2) Bottom drains with anti-entrapment lids
 (1) FNS Diatomaceous Earth filter with 2” multiport valve (or cartridge equivalent)
 (1) White LED underwater light
 White marcite interior plaster finish
 Includes $300 credit for start-up chemicals and 20% discount off 1st years chemicals & supplies
FOR A BASE POOL PRICE OF... $51,290.00
ADDITIONAL POOL OPTIONS:
 If sun shelf shallow water seating area (as per plan) is desired add $3,600.00
 If AquaComfort AC1250 heat pump is desired add $5,800.00
 If 250,000 BTU propane/natural gas heater is desired add $4,460.00 (+$250 if 400,000 BTU)
 If safety cover with 3’ x 3’ mesh sections is desired add $3,480.00 (+$140 if sun shelf)
 If salt chlorine generator is desired, add $2,200.00
 If Wet Edge Signature Matrix interior pebble finish is desired add $8,990.00 (+$1,160 if sun shelf)
 If Nantucket Gray upgraded interior plaster finish is desired add $3,190.00 (+$410 if sun shelf)
 If Pentair robot cleaner is desired add $1,960.00
 If automatic in-floor cleaning system is desired add $4,100.00
 If 6’ diving board is desired add $1,480.00
 If upgrade to LED light with color change ability is desired add $675.00 1 large light (or 2 Glo-Brite lights)
Additional Glo Brite lights are available at $475.00 each

Matt, welcome to TFP.

It is interesting that it becomes illegal to sell single speed pumps over 1 HP as of July 2021 but builders are still proposing them. Get a Pentair Intelliflo 011056 VSF pump.

Consider getting a large cartridge filter instead of a DE filter.

In NH a NG gas heater is going to heat the pool much better then a Heat Pump. If you have the natural gas service get a 400K BTU NG heater.

Get a SWG whose capacity is at least 2X your pool volume.

Pebble finishes are not smooth. Try a pebble pool and decide if the roughness bothers you and your family.

Get a robot cleaner. You will do better buying it independently then from a Pool Builder. We can give you the best source when the time comes.

Skip the infloor cleaning system.

Get Pentair Microbrite lights instead of Globrites if you must have color lights. Most LED pool lighst fail in few years and cost a lot to rep;lace. A standard white pool light is the low cost way to go.

Consider getting the Pentair IntelliCenter automation bundle that comes with a SWG.

Some things to read...

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Hey Matt and Welcome !! Normally I assure new people that they’ve found a great place, but Allen’s reply above knocked it out of the PARK, so I’ll just point to that as ‘exhibit A’.

Glad you found us.

Thank you ajw22 for the speedy and thorough reply, I really appreciate it. I’m very glad I found this forum as everyone here seems very friendly and knowledgeable, and its way easier to make changes before a contract is signed or the pool has been built.

Any thoughts on if the Nantucket Gray upgraded interior plaster finish is worth the money if I don’t go with a pebble finish? The sales guy said it would be less susceptible to staining than white plaster. Also, for the heater I currently have propane so would the 400k btu heater still make sense.

I realize there’s a lot that goes into maintaining a pool, so anything I can do to make upkeep easier would be money well spent in my opinion.

Any thoughts on pricing. I imagine it varies a lot depending on the local cost of labor/materials.

Here’s a picture of the proposed pool, please let me know if there’s something I’m overlooking design wise.
B771D467-3CE8-440B-8642-94278FF30F29.jpeg

1 gallon of propane has 91,502 BTUs. So a 400K BTU heater will use about 4.5 gallons of propane an hour to raise your 25,000 gallon pool by about 1.5 degrees an hour. A 250K BTU heater would use 2.7 gallons of propane an hour and raise the water temperature by about 1 degree an hour.

A pool cover is recommended to retain the expensive heat you have burned your propane to create.

There are so many reasons that plaster can stain or get mottled that I would not spend extra for that reason. Getting the grey plaster gives you little prevention over it.

More reading...

There is not that much to maintaining a pool following TFP methods once you understand the routine. Getting a SWG makes a big difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.