Looking for a new pump. Please help!

Unleaded91

Feb 8, 2021
San Marcos, CA
Hi All,
This is my first post. I am glad I found this forum. I currently have a single speed WhisperFlo 1HP and would like to upgrade my pump to save energy and get better performance.

I've been reading about how to choose the correct pump size but I become more unsure the more I read.

Please let me know what you would recommend in my situation.

Total dynamic head: 67 ft.
Pipes: 2"
Suction lines : 3
Pool size: 11k gal. with attached spa with 4 jets
Pentair Mastertemp 400 water heater
Energy cost at super off peak: 31 cents

Currently my skimmer suction appears to be "weak" as it's hardly able to pull in floating dirt in the pool. Also, to get a decent stream from the jets I have to dedicate all flow to it by closing the pool return valve.

When I look at the pump graphs it appears that I should be best served by a Pentair SuperFlo VS, but when I see pump recommendations for pools with attached spa from searching online I see that I may need an IntelliFlo VS.

Thanks in advanced!!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Do you have an attached spa in your pool? Your signature does not mention it.

The only significant difference between the Whisperflo VS and the IntelliFlo VS is that the IntelliFlo connects with Pentair automation systems. Usually those with an attached spa have an automation system they use to control their pool and spa.

Reactions: HermanTX
Welcome to TFP.

Do you have an attached spa in your pool? Your signature does not mention it.

The only significant difference between the Whisperflo VS and the IntelliFlo VS is that the IntelliFlo connects with Pentair automation systems. Usually those with an attached spa have an automation system they use to control their pool and spa.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I do have a spa attached to the pool. It's about 400 gal. w/ 4 jets.
I have a single speed 1hp WhisperFlo that's about 10 yrs. old.
I don't have any sort of automation running the pump or spa, other than a timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.