Newbie & New Pool - NEED ADVICE on the The Best Skimmer & Plumbing System

Ugbe

Apr 25, 2023
Los Angeles
I am currently Installing a New 15' x 30' Concrete Pool at our house with the following Spec:
3'-6" Shallow End
5' Deep End
Approx. 15,000 Gallons
7' x 7' Baja with 2 BUBBLERS
Attached 7' x 7' SPA adjacent to the Baja with 8 Spa Jets, 4 Calf Jets, 2 BUBBLERS
SPA is about 1 - 2 inches below Pool-Coping and Spills over from two sides into the Pool. Something like that.

Bellow are the Equipments the PB said I will need.
+ 4 low voltage (12v) colored Microbrite Light by Pentair (I need advise on which of the Microbrite to go with)
+ 2 Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pump 3 HP (for Circulation & Booster)
+ 1 Pentair IntelliFlo VSF Pump 1.5 HP (for 4 Deck Jets & 4 Bubblers)
+ Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator IC40 Salt Cell
+ Pentair DE Pool Filter (36 square feet)
+ Pentair Ultra Temp 140 H/C Heat Pump
+ Pentair EasyTouch 8 Function Controls
+ ScreenLogic Interface Kit for EasyTouch

+ Waterways Renegade Skimmer

No Specification on the following
+ 8 Spa Jets & 4 Calf Jets
+ 2 Spa Blowers

Please, I NEED ADVISE on the following...
(1) The Best Skimmer I can get for a concrete Pool.
(2) The Best Plumbing System I can get using the Equipments listed above.

Last edited:
- Two 3HP Pump for Circulation & Booster
- One 1.5HP Pump for Deck Jets & Bubblers
- One Filter, One Heater, Two Airline and a SWG
- Automation
Ask for the exact make, model and part number for EACH of these elements and post them here. We can give you good input. After you get input, make sure make, model and part number is specified in the contract. What is an Airline?

Make sure they do not use ball valves...should use something like Jandy neverlube for all valves and check valves.

4724.png

Ask for the exact make, model and part number for EACH of these elements and post them here. We can give you good input. After you get input, make sure make, model and part number is specified in the contract. What is an Airline?

Make sure they do not use ball valves...should use something like Jandy neverlube for all valves and check valves.

4724.png
First of all, thank you PoolStored

Here are the Details I have on the Equipment…
+ 4 low voltage (12v) colored Microbrite Light by Pentair (I need advise on which of the Microbrite to go with)

+ 2 Spa Blowers

I am currently Installing a New 15' x 30' Concrete Pool at our house with the following Spec:
3'-6" Shallow End
5' Deep End
Approx. 15,000 Gallons
Attached 7' x 7' SPA adjacent to the Baja with 8 Spa Jets, 4 Calf Jets, 2 BUBBLERS
SPA is about 1 - 2 inches below Pool-Coping and Spills over from two sides into the Pool. Something like that.

- Two 3HP Pump for Circulation & Booster
- One 1.5HP Pump for Deck Jets & Bubblers
- One Filter, One Heater, Two Airline and a SWG
- Automation

Here are the Details I have on the Equipment…

+ 2 Spa Blowers

3'-6" Shallow End
5' Deep End
Approx. 15,000 Gallons

+ 2 Spa Blowers

Note that Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:

• July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems

There is no reason to be installing a 20+ year old obsolete system. Get the IntelliCenter instead of the EasyTouch + ScreenLogic.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Note that Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:

• July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems

There is no reason to be installing a 20+ year old obsolete system. Get the IntelliCenter instead of the EasyTouch + ScreenLogic.

Thank you for letting me know this.

I

What model number pumps?

+ 2 Spa Blowers

Why 2 blowers?

Will the spa jets have a dedicated spa jet pump?

You will have a complicated plumbing setup with pool, spa, jets, bubblers, blowers. You know what you want to be able to control independently or run simultaneously?

Your builder should work with you to figure it out.

Why? What is your builder proposing?

What model number pumps?

Why 2 blowers?

Will the spa jets have a dedicated spa jet pump?

You will have a complicated plumbing setup with pool, spa, jets, bubblers, blowers. You know what you want to be able to control independently or run simultaneously?

Your builder should work with you to figure it out.

Why? What is your builder proposing?
Here is the 3HP Pump model number 011078.

PB is proposing Waterways Renegade Skimmer. Are there BETTER ones out there?

Here is his proposed Set up...
- Circulation Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from Pool/Spa, THROUGH the FILTER, HEATER, SWG, to RETURN Line feeding Pool/Spa Eyeballs + another RETURN Line feeding 4 Spa Jets/2 Calf Jets (1 Blower is included with this Pump)

- Booster Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from Spa ONLY (NO Filter, NO Heater, NO SWG), to RETURN Line feeding 4 Spa Jets/2 Calf Jets (another 1 Blower is included with this Pump).
NOTE: My concern with this is... "Wont the Pool OVERFLOW if this Pump alone is running because NO INTAKE whatsoever from the Pool with this pump alone running."

- 3rd Pump (1.5HP): INTAKE from Pool ONLY, RETURN Line feeding 4 Deck Jets + another RETURN Line feeding 2 Bubblers on the Baja, 2 Bubblers in the Spa.

Here is the 3HP Pump model number 011078.

That is the Intelliflo3 with the IO Board. YOu have no need for the IO Board if you have a Pentair automation system. You should be getting the 011075.

PB is proposing Waterways Renegade Skimmer. Are there BETTER ones out there?

Skimmers are a commodity except for the gimmicky venturi skimmers.

The Waterway skimmer is as good as the Pentair Bermuda or Admiral skimmers.
Here is his proposed Set up...
- Circulation Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from Pool/Spa, THROUGH the FILTER, HEATER, SWG, to RETURN Line feeding Pool/Spa Eyeballs + another RETURN Line feeding 4 Spa Jets/2 Calf Jets (1 Blower is included with this Pump)

- Booster Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from Spa ONLY (NO Filter, NO Heater, NO SWG), to RETURN Line feeding 4 Spa Jets/2 Calf Jets (another 1 Blower is included with this Pump).
NOTE: My concern with this is... "Wont the Pool OVERFLOW if this Pump alone is running because NO INTAKE whatsoever from the Pool with this pump alone running."

- 3rd Pump (1.5HP): INTAKE from Pool ONLY, RETURN Line feeding 4 Deck Jets + another RETURN Line feeding 2 Bubblers on the Baja, 2 Bubblers in the Spa.

That setup sort of makes sense.

Note that the flow/pressure from the spa jets connected to the Circulation Pump will be less then the spa jets connected to the Booster Pump. This will be due to the restrictions of the filter and heater the Circulation pump water needs to go through. So you will likely have some high pressure spa jets and some medium pressure spa jets.

This is the way my spa is setup with one pump for filter and heater and another dedicated to the jets…

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really do appreciate your response here. Thank you, and thank you for the Pump Spec.

Now, is it possible that I ask for this following set up listed BELOW...

- - Circulation Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from POOL + SPA, and THROUGH the FILTER/HEATER/SWG, to RETURN Line feeding POOL/SPA Eyeballs + another RETURN Line feeding 4 Calf Jets (1 Blower is included with this Pump).

- - Booster Pump (3HP): INTAKE Line from SPA ONLY (NO Filter, NO Heater, NO SWG), to RETURN Line feeding 8 SPA JETS (1 Blower is included with this Pump).
NOTE: Is it necessary to CONNECT SUCTION from POOL to this PUMP. Am just thinking if Water is SPILLING OVER from the SPA into the POOL without suction from the Pool, the Pool will OVERFLOW. Please advise.

- - 3rd Pump (1.5HP): INTAKE from POOL ONLY, (NO Filter, NO Heater, NO SWG), to RETURN Line feeding 4 Deck Jets + another RETURN Line feeding 2 Bubblers on the Baja, and 2 Bubblers in the Spa.

NOTE:
I will like the CIRCULATION PUMP to RUN on its own ALONE through the FILTER/HEATER/SWG for FILTRATION.
And the CIRCULATION Pump can REST when we are using the BOOSTER PUMP for the SPA JETS. Unless when we want the CALF JETS on, then the CIRCULATION PUMP can DO that.

Also, can 2 PUMPS do this JOB instead of 3?

That setup sort of makes sense.

Note that the flow/pressure from the spa jets connected to the Circulation Pump will be less then the spa jets connected to the Booster Pump. This will be due to the restrictions of the filter and heater the Circulation pump water needs to go through. So you will likely have some high pressure spa jets and some medium pressure spa jets.

If you do not run your deck jets or bubblers when you want high pressure from your spa jets you can probably run then off your circulation pump.

The issue is how much flow/pressure you will be satisfied with coming out of your spa jets.

This is the way my spa is setup with one pump for filter and heater and another dedicated to the jets…

full

Can the SECOND RETURN from the Circulation Pump BYPASS the Filtration System (Filter/Heater/SWG) and GO STRAIGHT to the SPA JETS to get OPTIMAL Pressure?

Then you will not be heating or chlorinating the spa.

Please SEE Picture for what am Planning to DO and ADVISE me. Thank you!

You cannot have two pumps running through one filter and heater.

Each pump needs to have dedicated suctions and returns. You can redirect suctions and returns using 3 way diverters and actuators.

Here are the details…
15k Gallons, 15' x 30' New Rectangular Gunite Pool & Spa Combo, 3'-6" Shallow End, 5' Deep End, 7’ x 7’ Baja with 2 BUBBLERS, adjacent/attached 7’ x 7’ SPA with 4 Three-Jets-Thread-In Manifold, 4 Spa Jets, 4 Calf Jets, 2 BUBBLERS.

+ 4 low voltage (12v) colored Microbrite Light by Pentair (3 for Pool, 1 for Spa).
+ 1 Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 3 HP Circulation Pump.
+ 1 Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 3 HP Booster Pump for SPA JETS.
+ 1 Pentair IntelliFlo VSF 1.5 HP Extra Pump for 4 Deck Jets & 4 Bubblers
+ Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator IC60 Salt Cell
+ Pentair DE Pool Filter (36 square feet) + Pentair Ultra Temp 140 H/C Heat Pump
+ Pentair Automation

MY QUESTION: How can all these be connected so I can have the high degree of flexibility I desire.

My FLEXIBILITY: I want to be able to USE each FEATURES ALONE or TOGETHER as I want.

I want to be able to do…
- Circulation/Filtration ALONE on its own OR Together with ONE or MORE other Pool or Spa FEATURES.
- Use the Spa Jets ALONE (I need POWER) OR Together with ONE or MORE other Pool or Spa FEATURES and/or Circulation.
- Use the Deck Jets ALONE OR Together with ONE or MORE other Pool or Spa FEATURES and/or Circulation.
- Use the Baja Bubblers ALONE OR Together with ONE or MORE other Pool or Spa FEATURES and/or Circulation.
- Use the Spa Bubblers ALONE OR Together with ONE or MORE other Pool or Spa FEATURES and/or Circulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.