SPA/Pool plumbing and pump related questions

noobnoob

Aug 11, 2023
Southern California
Hello, I've decided to maintain the pool myself and recently got a new Pentair filter and variable speed pump installed. Everything seems to be working but I don't understand the two valves that are between the spa and the pump. I've attached the pictures.

1) The valve has arrows on them pointing towards the pump. When pump is running at max speed 3450, the pressure on the filter is at about 1 PSI. The water is sucked from the skimmer and returned to the pool. I believe this is the normal operation (at lower RPM of course.)
2) When I turned the left valve to point towards the spa (3450 RPM), the jets in the spa furiously short water in the spa, the pressure on the filter shoots to 30PSI and filter starts leaking. I couldn't change direction of the valve at this point and quickly turned off the pump and changed the direction of the valve to point back to the pump.
3) When I turned the right valve to point towards the spa(3450 RPM), the jets in the spa softly shot water in the spa, the water level in spa starts dropping rather fast, and the pressure on the filter is about 10PSI. I pointed the valve back to the pump and pressure returned to 1 PSI.
In all 3 cases above, the Hayward Phoenix attached to the skimmer kept on moving.
I would like to know the function of the valve and when/how they should be used?

Another question I have is about the pump runtime. By reading few things here, it seems like the consensus is that a full water turnover cannot be achieved and hence 3-4 of hours is all that is needed. My question is, how will the surface be skimmed if I have the suction side vacuum attached to the skimmer?
This is a great site and I will be spending a lot more time reading up. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4707.jpeg
    IMG_4707.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4709.jpeg
    IMG_4709.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
n,

It is really impossible for anyone here to tell you what those valves do..

We can't see where any of the pipes go and can't even tell if they are 2-way valves or 3-way valves. :scratch:

Can you get a better (Closer) view of the valves and see if you can remove the water or debris around the valves.

Are these the only two valves in you entire system?

I assume the pool works ok with the valves in their current positions.. Is that true??

Does you spa, spillover into your pool?

In "theory" if these are the only two valves in the system, then one of them should select between the Pool (Skimmer), when in the Pool mode and the Spa Drain, when in the spa mode.

The other valve would select between the Pool Return, when in the Pool mode, and the Spa jets, when in the Spa mode.

Why in the world are you running the pump at full speed???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for your prompt reply Jim. I'm running it at full speed during this test because the pump has a quick clean button which runs at 3450 RPM (I know I can change it) but the experiment was just so that I can post my query as soon as possible. There are two pipes which the valves control (they are underneath the debris under the valves).
The funny thing is that in all 3 modes of operation, the suction vacuum attached to the skimmer is working away. That makes me believe that the skimmer suction is never de-activated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.