Pool pump questions

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So we are embarking on our second pool build. Prior pool was 11k gallons, with spa, 2.5” returns, 3” suction, Jandy 2.7hp VS pump.

We are only doing a pool this time, but will have 2 24” sheer decent water features on the back wall.
the pool will be 17,500 gallons, 2” return, 2.5” suction.

the pump they are quoting is the Hayward Tristar 900vs, 1.85HP, flow rate of 113GPM, assume this is max.

my calculations tell me with the size of my pool 36gpm of flow will circulate the entire pool in 8 hours. What kind of load will the water features add?

The larger 2.7 HP pump is $500 more, is this needed with no spa?

thx

So we are embarking on our second pool build. Prior pool was 11k gallons, with spa, 2.5” returns, 3” suction, Jandy 2.7hp VS pump.

We are only doing a pool this time, but will have 2 24” sheer decent water features on the back wall.
the pool will be 17,500 gallons, 2” return, 2.5” suction.

the pump they are quoting is the Hayward Tristar 900vs, 1.85HP, flow rate of 113GPM, assume this is max.

my calculations tell me with the size of my pool 36gpm of flow will circulate the entire pool in 8 hours. What kind of load will the water features add?

The larger 2.7 HP pump is $500 more, is this needed with no spa?

thx
You can't go wrong getting the larger pump, especially with Fullerton, CA energy rates. You run the pump slower to get the same water flow.
You don't need to worry about "turnover" but being able to run the system long enough to allow the SWG to make enough chlorine to keep the chemical levels up. That means running the pump many hours, more than the 8 you suggest. My VSP (the 2.7) runs 15 hours a day, many run theirs 24/7. The cost to do that is minimal.

From the Jandy website on Sheer Descent waterflow:

"As a general rule of thumb, the Sheer Descent waterfall requires approximately 12 gallons per minute per foot with little head loss. For a more dramatic effect, more water gallonage can be applied to project the waterfall further away from the wall."

The larger pump will be able to move the same amount of water at a lower rpm as the smaller pump. Lower rpm = exponentially lower energy bill. And lots less noise….

+1 larger pump

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.