Leak from pvc screw in on top of pump

Mar 3, 2016
Gold Canyon, AZ
I had to replace sections of pipe but I now have a leak from the connector screw in to the top of pump. During the repait I had to turn the elbow it was connected to by about 45 deg out, ie anti CW, and then back again to its original position. Fortunately part of my repair included a compression slide in so I can take it apart in order to unscrew the leaking fitting.
Need advise please as to whether I should unscrew it and redo it with either teflon tape or pipe dope (maybe both?). OR should I use PC Plumbing epoxy around the joint.

Attachments

• 20200324_094504.jpg
    20200324_094504.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200324_094555.jpg
    20200324_094555.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 28
I am not sure where the leak you describe is. Can you circle it on your pic?

If it is the union going onto the pipe on the top left you definitely don't want to epoxy it together. Did you put Pool Lube on the O ring of the unions?

Unscrew the fitting, clean the internal and external threads and either use teflon paste or t-tape on the threads and reinstall the plumbing. I prefer paste, but T-Tape will work just fine.

As a rule of thumb, any time you have to back-off (turn CCW) a threaded fitting, you should disassemble it and reapply sealant. This is especially true if the sealant is T-Tape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.