Pool Lube or O-Ring Lube should be used on gaskets and o-rings in filters, pump basket lids and valves around the pool.
MagicLube II (red label with silicone, not original blue label with teflon) or Boss 820 are recommended products.
There are many other good products sold. It should be a silicone based, non-PTFE lubricant.
Never use petroleum products, such as Vaseline, on anything rubber.
Lubing Pump Lid O-Ring
- remove the o-ring and clean it with a clean rag.
- Use the same rag to clean the channel. Not spotless, just to insure there is no grime or dirt that can cause issues.
- Use liberal amount of pool lube, use your index finger and thumb to get a good coverage of lube on the o-ring.
- Install o-ring and pump basket.
- Clean lube off hands.
Cleaning Lube Off Hands
- Wear disposable gloves
- Use a good grease-cutting dishwashing detergent, like Dawn for washing your hands. Then apply a light hand cream like Gold Bond, because Dawn dries the dickens out of your skin.
- A cleaner with d-limonene
- Never pull the O-ring through your fingers. Always push it through your fingers. Pulling stretches the O-ring and it ends up being too big